+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Wife becomes pregnant during sponsorship - No SIN

janniboy88

Sep 23, 2010
Hi everyone,

I am a PR and want to sponsor my wife. We intend to come to Canada this July and then send the application for sponsorship (outside canada). Today we learned that my wife is pregnant and now we are wondering if my wife should have her delivery in Canada (she does not have any Social insurance so far) or if we should stay in Germany and come to Canada next year in 2012 after the delivery. We are also afraid of the hospital costs that may incur. Is there anyone with experiences or some advice?

Thank you very much

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As a PR, you must be in Canada to sponsor your wife. If you bring her with you as a visitor, it is possible that some provinces may give her health care while you are applying for sponsorship. I have heard of such cases in Alberta. Maybe it is only for inland, I do not know. If you have to pay yourselves for the delivery, the bill could easily be $5 to 10 grand. As long as you still meet the residency requirements in 2012, it might be a better idea to wait and then bring both wife and baby on a visit visa and sponsor them both.

janniboy88

Sep 23, 2010
Hi Leon,

thanks for the quick answer. I have relatives in Manitoba and would then probably move there. Would I be able to deduct the hospital costs from my wifes delivery from my taxes?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I suppose you could deduct it from your taxes. You should talk to a tax advisor about that to make sure. You could also contact Manitoba Health and ask them if they would cover your wife if she is a visitor and you have applied to sponsor her. Doesn't cost anything to ask.