+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Wife applying for citizenship,daughter is American

x5-452

Star Member
May 13, 2010
My wife will be applying for canadian citizenship fairly soon. Once she receives citizenship she would like to bring her (sponsor?) daughter who is 8 years old from the USA.
Would her daughter be considered Canadian since my wife is now a canadian citizen? Or would we have to go through the normal process of family sponsorship?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

x5-452 said:
My wife will be applying for canadian citizenship fairly soon. Once she receives citizenship she would like to bring her (sponsor?) daughter who is 8 years old from the USA.
Would her daughter be considered Canadian since my wife is now a canadian citizen? Or would we have to go through the normal process of family sponsorship?
1. No, the daughter would not be a citizen as her mother was not a Citizen at the time of her birth.
2. Was the daughter included as a dependent in her mother's application for PR and was medically examined?
3. If she was examined, then she can be sponsored as a dependent child. (Going to have to proof of custody allowing her to leave the US). Once she receives PR and is residing in Canada, the mother can then apply for citizenship for her, as her parent is a citizen, so the child doesn't require 3 years of residency for citizenship.
4. You realize that mother doesn't have to be a citizen to sponsor her daughter?