+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Wife’s Passport and Open Work Permit Stolen

waitinglikeyaall

Star Member
Mar 25, 2018
My wife and her family were travelling out of province this week and unfortunately someone smashed in my car window and stole a bag from the trunk with our passports and my wife’s open work permit.

The issue is we are travelling back to Ireland in 3 days and are worried about re entering Canada. I called CBSA and IRCC who both went around in circles. IRCC said she can arrive in Canada with a new passport and come as a visitor with an ETA and to replace the Open Work Permit once arrived, while CBSA said they won’t issue her an ETA as she has an OWP and needs to arrive into Canada with this.
We can’t replace the OWP in time to travel because it needs a canadian mailing address and we will be out of the country by the time it arrives.

Has anyone any insight on how to replace this document or been in a similar situation?

(She is travelling on an emergency travel document issued by the embassy)

SofiaMartins

Star Member
Jun 25, 2019
My wife and her family were travelling out of province this week and unfortunately someone smashed in my car window and stole a bag from the trunk with our passports and my wife’s open work permit.

The issue is we are travelling back to Ireland in 3 days and are worried about re entering Canada. I called CBSA and IRCC who both went around in circles. IRCC said she can arrive in Canada with a new passport and come as a visitor with an ETA and to replace the Open Work Permit once arrived, while CBSA said they won’t issue her an ETA as she has an OWP and needs to arrive into Canada with this.
We can’t replace the OWP in time to travel because it needs a canadian mailing address and we will be out of the country by the time it arrives.

Has anyone any insight on how to replace this document or been in a similar situation?

(She is travelling on an emergency travel document issued by the embassy)
From what i've been told is that you cannot enter Canada with only an OWP. You require an ETA as well.
OWP does not provide re-entry, the ETA does
I would listen to the IRCC