+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Why would unemployment be a reason for RQ?

jason2540

Jun 6, 2015
Hi guys. I just don't understand why unemployment could be a reason for RQ. When we apply for citizenship, doesn't CIC already ask for the report from the Canada Border Services Agency which states all the dates we entered Canada? So if the applicant was unemployed for a certain period of time, but the CBSA report clearly states that they were in Canada during those dates, why would they want the applicant to prove that they were in Canada? They don't trust the CBSA report?

Politren

Jan 16, 2015
Hi

here in the forum you can see how many people have been employed full time ever since they came in Canada and they also ended up with requests for more documents proving that they have been here, some of these people never left Canada.

I personally know 4 cases with people with full time employment and without any travel abroad again ended up with request for more supporting documents.

But all that was with cases under the old rules where CIC didn't have had that much authorisation to access directly to information such as CRA and CBSA.

From now on the process should be more efficient.

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
Politren said:
Hi

here in the forum you can see how many people have been employed full time ever since they came in Canada and they also ended up with requests for more documents proving that they have been here, some of these people never left Canada.

I personally know 4 cases with people with full time employment and without any travel abroad again ended up with request for more supporting documents.

But all that was with cases under the old rules where CIC didn't have had that much authorisation to access directly to information such as CRA and CBSA.

From now on the process should be more efficient.
So it's likely that there won't be RQ's in future?

jhjeppe

Star Member
Jun 29, 2011
The Pas, Manitoba
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10 August 2009
Doc's Request.
31 January 2010
AOR Received.
14 June 2010
Med's Request
5 October 2010
Med's Done....
12 October 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
25 September 2011
VISA ISSUED...
5 October 2011
LANDED..........
20 May 2012
emamabd said:
So it's likely that there won't be RQ's in future?
I became a citizen in october...

I was unemployed for 14 months. I did not get an RQ and the officer at the interview said that he had no concerns with my residency..

Just sayin....

Reactions: Ah Jaysus

chikloo

Feb 6, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jason2540 said:
Hi guys. I just don't understand why unemployment could be a reason for RQ. When we apply for citizenship, doesn't CIC already ask for the report from the Canada Border Services Agency which states all the dates we entered Canada? So if the applicant was unemployed for a certain period of time, but the CBSA report clearly states that they were in Canada during those dates, why would they want the applicant to prove that they were in Canada? They don't trust the CBSA report?
This will arise only if there is some doubt in the applicants residency requirements fulfillment. I was unemployed and did not have a place of my own. Also I traveled to my home country 2 times (69 day trip and 70 day trip) in that four months. Stayed with friends of mine while I was in Canada. So no proof of rent. I was given RQ but the points I had in my favor are 1. out of those 180 days I declared 140 days as absent and the rest 40 days was pre PR time which essentially counts as 20 days. I identified those 40 days and presented two proofs cell phone calls (Paid additional for itemized calls - expensive $120) and credit card statements highlighting the transactions that I made. I also provided my savings details which I used for living/travel here without employment.

In my wife's case she has "DM" now but has more than two yrs of unemployment and lot of travel but has lease/credit card statement etc. Never questioned or RQd. If she gets Oath then she is done. So I think cic does this on case by case. In my wife's case I portrayed the unemployment period as "Home maker". That is one advantage of you can try and use.

All the best. RQ is not as dreadful as it used to be. Just sit back think and present the required documents to prove that you have physically been here.

To answer your last question CBSA was only tracking exits until June 2013 and from 2013 June afterwards they have started tracking entries as well only for PR not for Non PRs. So this was one reason that caused confusion in old cases as they missed stamps in their travels and CIC had to ask for other evidence documents of physical presence. As another member post in your thread suggests this will fade away eventually.