+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

WHY SO MANY NEW ADS????

mandhaata

Aug 9, 2019
Everyone on these forums is learned enough to make a valid choice that suits their preference and risk tolerance.

These are purely personal choices.

For me, Chrome is a daily driver and changing one small setting for one specific site (to disable Javascript for one website) on Chrome to get rid of these ads is a much lesser risky proposition than installing another browser. If a need arises for me to do that, I will investigate more and then do that.

But again, what everyone else goes for is "not my circus not my monkeys", no offence intended!!

Reactions: anton1990

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
Did you here about Mozilla corporation? They pay for Firefox development
When Linux was first introduced, Microsoft made fun of them because it was open source and developed by independent people from all around the world. Now some versions of Windows 10 come with an integrated Linux OS. Open source by definition means transparency, and any issue will be made public and fixed. Also, independent contributors make it difficult to make malicious features, unlike developing apps in a corporation that may have malicious intent.

I haven't heard of Brave before, and I am not advocating it for any personal interest, but the fact it blocks ugly ads with a built-in ad blocker is an advantage over other browsers. Also, from my little research, I know that Brave actually allows you to see ads but only if you choose so, and you can choose how many ads you see for a specific time unit (for example 10 ads per hour), and you will be getting paid for that with digital money you can use later to pay for things on the Internet. This approach is very creative IMO, and could solve the free stuff vs. ads issue. If we dismiss these new apps with these new innovative features because they are done by less known open source projects, we will probably be stuck in the same issue for ages.

Last edited:

jamezmoran

Star Member
Sep 28, 2016
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
15-11-2016
AOR Received.
15-11-2016
Med's Done....
16-11-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
06-01-2017
LANDED..........
04-03-2017
Mr smart pants tell me one vendor - Cisco, Fortinet, unifi that uses opensourse?

Sure there is one pfsense which works worse than netgate. I hope u know some words that i am talking about
How about Amazon? And Microsoft? Have you heard about these guys? They are relatively small players in tech I could see how they might’ve slipped by you.

jamezmoran

Star Member
Sep 28, 2016
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
15-11-2016
AOR Received.
15-11-2016
Med's Done....
16-11-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
06-01-2017
LANDED..........
04-03-2017
I don’t really intend to respond anymore because this person clearly doesn’t have a clue what they are talking about and obviously doesn’t want understand. But take the Linux kernel, used by AWS’ primary EC2 instances that underpins entire aws infrastructure. Or Microsoft’s subsystem for Linux, and also Google Android, yes it uses the Linux kernel also. Docker as well, based on Linux. Or maybe we could a talk about how the Debian Linux distro, completely 100% open source, is the basis for the most popular desktop Linux distribution in the entire world, Ubuntu.

How about some ubiquitous software libraries maybe, SDL which is used everywhere in games, OpenSSL which is practically the standard encryption library everywhere, Apache which is the standard for web servers and distributed computing, zlib, ffmpeg, WebKit, VLC, and the list goes on and on and on and on. Oh and by the way, none of those projects have for-profit organizations behind them other than natural upstream submissions, because it turns out people do use the software and like to contribute to them so they don’t have to constantly fork them. Many of these open source software are older than many of the largest tech companies in the world, so yeah they are really mature and not going anywhere.

Last edited:

ms.mech

Jul 21, 2012
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
22-12-2017
AOR Received.
11-03-2017
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
With File
VISA ISSUED...
26-05-2017
LANDED..........
26-05-2017
Such a lame comment.. no one takes anything for granted.. Sometimes is better to zip it up..

Did not ask or your review. Go back to your rat hole