+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Why it takes significant time to find a proper job

santi_marlon

Sep 19, 2019
I've heard from many one that as a new immigrant and because of many useless factors such as lack of Canadian Experience it would be taken remarkable period of time to find a appropriate job.
I'm not asking for reason
I'm asking how can tackle this problem to reduce time?
useless factor means nowadays in most area specially in engineering we have standard frameworks and protocols, means working in Africa as a Microsoft engineer is not much different than someone working in USA, just the project's scale would be different.

Reactions: shipping

EscoBlades

Champion Member
Jul 22, 2020
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Job searches are as much about your soft skills as they are your acquired experience. Yes, some Canadian employers value in-Canada experience to a degree. However, if you have (or exceed) the necessary experience and requirements, then you can, and should be considered for a role, based on business needs of the company. It would be up to you to prove (via interviews) that you would be a good fit* for them

*Fit here meaning your understanding of local customs and nuances, command of local language(s), and your ease of assimilation. These aren’t useless factors, as annoying as they might seem to you.

This issue is also not unique to Canada. Almost anywhere you go in the world, there is a variation of this very thing.

Reactions: santi_marlon

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I've heard from many one that as a new immigrant and because of many useless factors such as lack of Canadian Experience it would be taken remarkable period of time to find a appropriate job.
useless factor means nowadays in most area specially in engineering we have standard frameworks and protocols, means working in Africa as a Microsoft engineer is not much different than someone working in USA, just the project's scale would be different.
One suggestion is to focus on strengthening your spoken and written English language skills as much as possible.

How effectively and clearly you communicate will most likely one of the things an employer assesses.

santi_marlon

Sep 19, 2019
Job searches are as much about your soft skills as they are your acquired experience. Yes, some Canadian employers value in-Canada experience to a degree. However, if you have (or exceed) the necessary experience and requirements, then you can, and should be considered for a role, based on business needs of the company. It would be up to you to prove (via interviews) that you would be a good fit* for them
Thanks for your response
I've heard that not all immigrant can fluently speaking and reach their purpose and also other factors as you mentioned earlier as a soft skill.

santi_marlon

Sep 19, 2019
One suggestion is to focus on strengthening your spoken and written English language skills as much as possible.

How effectively and clearly you communicate will most likely one of the things an employer assesses.
Thanks for your response
Many career's characteristic not included speaking such as programmer .
But I agree
this is a first and maybe the most one .
thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for your response
Many career's characteristic not included speaking such as programmer .
But I agree
this is a first and maybe the most one .
thanks
Programmers still need to be able to understand and discuss requirements, etc.

Yes, effective communication and strong command of the language is a major factor.

Reactions: santi_marlon

danyalejandro

Aug 7, 2015
British Columbia
Study in Canada something that has co-op or other work experience period. That's where Canadians fresh out of school get their experience from.

No one will doubt your experience if you worked in Microsoft in an African country, but if you worked at "Random Company Inc." in the city of "GodKnowsWhere" and they speak Cantonese, no one is going to bother paying for an interpreter to check your references. HR has dozens of other candidates that are easier to screen.