+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Why isn't the sales tax included in the price labels?

estcan

Jun 13, 2018
I agree - it's annoying.

Not only price tags and sales tax, but also when you dine in a restaurant you will be expected to pay minimum amounts of tips before you can leave the restaurants - otherwise someone will yell at you.
The tiping really perplexes me.

The owner of the restaurant pays less than a minimum to their servers.

and then the clients are expected to pay the other half? What?
If they don't, servers get mad and call them cheap and hearthless, as they can't make the living without the tip.

It doesn't make any sense.
Thinking to make similar video to sales tax about the tiping culuture, to help me figure out that weirdness.

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
The tiping really perplexes me.

The owner of the restaurant pays less than a minimum to their servers.

and then the clients are expected to pay the other half?
Maybe in the US..

Here in Canada you still have to pay at least minimum wage to your servers and then they make tips. But a good waiter makes way more than minimum wage anyway..

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
Thats why customer service is so big here. When I came at first it was a bit suffocating, but now i expect it.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Maybe in the US..

Here in Canada you still have to pay at least minimum wage to your servers and then they make tips. But a good waiter makes way more than minimum wage anyway..
In that case, it's not fair. How come other minimum wage earners (such as salesperson in a boutique) don't get tips?

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
In that case, it's not fair. How come other minimum wage earners (such as salesperson in a boutique) don't get tips?
Life is not fair.. Steaky. Bill Gates already told us years ago.

but as a waiter you can make some decent money. Went for dinner last night to a top restaurant in Vancouver. Tipped the waiter $40..well worth it.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Maybe in the US..

Watch out before you claim that Canada is better than the US here! For example, this is the situation in Ontario:

General Minimum wage: $14.00
Liquor servers minimum wage: $12.20

The Liquor servers minimum wage applies to "employees who, as a regular part of their employment, serve liquor directly to customers, guests, members or patrons in licensed premises and who regularly receive tips or other gratuities as a part of their work."

So the Ontario system has tipping engrained into their minimum wage laws!

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
Watch out before you claim that Canada is better than the US here! For example, this is the situation in Ontario:

General Minimum wage: $14.00
Liquor servers minimum wage: $12.20

The Liquor servers minimum wage applies to "employees who, as a regular part of their employment, serve liquor directly to customers, guests, members or patrons in licensed premises and who regularly receive tips or other gratuities as a part of their work."

So the Ontario system has tipping engrained into their minimum wage laws!
Where did I claim Canada is better??? But now that you mention it..it sure is!

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Where did I claim Canada is better??? But now that you mention it..it sure is!
No doubt it is in general :) I just thought you were implying that Canada is better than the US with regards to minimum wage for tipping jobs.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Life is not fair.. Steaky. Bill Gates already told us years ago.

but as a waiter you can make some decent money. Went for dinner last night to a top restaurant in Vancouver. Tipped the waiter $40..well worth it.
However, a friend of mine always tipped her sales lady at the luxury brand handbag boutique.

... The tip was well worth it in that special late night we crossed the border together from the US, as she was requested by the CBSA to provide a proof of purchase that the bag was purchased in Canada, otherwise she would have to pay duties to get her bag back... She phoned the sales lady and got the proof on her cellphone afterwards. Showed it to CBSA and off we continued our road trip.

Reactions: cadgijoe

cadgijoe

May 1, 2018
Category........
FSW
App. Filed.......
03-08-2018
AOR Received.
03-08-2018
Med's Done....
23-07-2018
Passport Req..
18-03-2019
VISA ISSUED...
22-03-2019
LANDED..........
21-05-2019
Hi folks,

What about delivery? Do we need to tip the delivery guy, and how much?
And take-out (come, order, take home all by oneself)?

cadgijoe

May 1, 2018
Category........
FSW
App. Filed.......
03-08-2018
AOR Received.
03-08-2018
Med's Done....
23-07-2018
Passport Req..
18-03-2019
VISA ISSUED...
22-03-2019
LANDED..........
21-05-2019
Agree, its definitely better for ppl who cant get green card or us citizenship.
Just curious, is there a code name for Canadian PR card, like green card for US one? Pink card maybe, as I see from Google photos?