+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Why don't they hire more people to handle immigration cases?

canadaguy238

Star Member
Nov 23, 2015
Again, that is a work permit, not PR. Way different process with way different checks/processing. If you are going to compare apples and oranges, there is no point in even posting.

Many spouses are able to come to Canada while their app processes. Those who are refused are generally from countries that have had high rates of illegally overstaying. That is the fault of the people from their country, not Canada.

And again, where is your source?
It just makes sense that the taxes paid by spouses getting to Canada 11 months faster would add up to a lot, right? I'd imagine the extra taxes from 100,000 people would probably be more than the officers salaries of a few thousand more people. They could even tax us more by having an option to pay more for faster processing. I would have paid $1,000 or more for "express processing" and I can imagine a lot of other people would do that.

Then remember that the Canadian government taxes the officers salaries too.

Theres PLENTY of money to pay for extra officers. This is why it makes no sense to me why they don't hire more immigration officers and get the average processing time down to a reasonable 1-3 months.

Last edited:

laport2018

Sep 25, 2018
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
12-09-2018
Doc's Request.
03-04-2019
AOR Received.
17-12-2018
File Transfer...
20-03-2019
Med's Request
09-01-2019
Med's Done....
16-01-2019

canadaguy238

Star Member
Nov 23, 2015
Again do you have numbers ?
It just makes sense that the taxes paid by spouses getting to Canada 11 months faster would add up to a lot, right? I'd imagine the extra taxes from 100,000 people would probably be more than the officers salaries of a few thousand more people. They could even tax us more by having an option to pay more for faster processing. I would have paid $1,000 or more for "express processing" and I can imagine a lot of other people would do that.

Theres PLENTY of money to pay for extra officers. This is why it makes no sense to me why they don't hire more immigration officers and get the average processing time down to a reasonable 1-3 months.

laport2018

Sep 25, 2018
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
12-09-2018
Doc's Request.
03-04-2019
AOR Received.
17-12-2018
File Transfer...
20-03-2019
Med's Request
09-01-2019
Med's Done....
16-01-2019

Im not going to argue with you , you have your mind made up. I for one would love my husband to be here, but like everyone else here I am waiting. My husbands application is also at the Mexico VO which is known to be slow....... So I knew ahead of time that patience is key. I wish you all the best of luck , I hope your spouse is here soon.

Kumuluswolken

Feb 14, 2019
Coming from Germany and having some experience there on immigration processes I was actually amazed by how fair and well laid out the Canadian system is. Admittedly, the waiting time bothered me a bit, too.
But that is something you know about in advance and can plan accordingly.

In Germany they did hire a lot of additional case workers for the heavily increased refugee cases and those officers ended up being not the most competent and well trained ones.

ButterflyChemist

Jun 24, 2014
Quite frankly the OP is not interested in reason or facts. Not all spouses are able to find work right away either because they lack the skills required in the area where the live or the educational qualifications. It's naive to think that they'll be able to work on day one. At least with the GSS these people are coming in to jobs right away and by your tax argument, will be able to pay into the pot right away.
What about those who come in with underage dependents? Are the kids going to be paying their own way as well? Also, I don't think it matters the OP keeps saying these are Canadian families but they are not. These are family units that include foreigners who need to be vetted. As others have said, it makes no sense to argue with someone who can not see there are complex issues involved in processing immigration. While we all think the process can be improved, it is important to see the hard work that has taken processing times to where they are now.

canadaguy238

Star Member
Nov 23, 2015
Quite frankly the OP is not interested in reason or facts. Not all spouses are able to find work right away either because they lack the skills required in the area where the live or the educational qualifications. It's naive to think that they'll be able to work on day one. At least with the GSS these people are coming in to jobs right away and by your tax argument, will be able to pay into the pot right away.
What about those who come in with underage dependents? Are the kids going to be paying their own way as well? Also, I don't think it matters the OP keeps saying these are Canadian families but they are not. These are family units that include foreigners who need to be vetted. As others have said, it makes no sense to argue with someone who can not see there are complex issues involved in processing immigration. While we all think the process can be improved, it is important to see the hard work that has taken processing times to where they are now.
You can think what you want. I think the spouse and children of a Canadian makes it a Canadian family, especially if they are trying to move to Canada and have every legal right to do so. At worst they are a future Canadian family. The only problem here is the time of processing is too long.

I think there is plenty of money to pay for these officers. Again the tax money from 100,000 people must FAR outweigh the salary of a few thousand canadian officers.

If "WE ALL" think it can be improved, then maybe it should be?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
You can think what you want. I think the spouse and children of a Canadian makes it a Canadian family, especially if they are trying to move to Canada and have every legal right to do so. At worst they are a future Canadian family. The only problem here is the time of processing is too long.

I think there is plenty of money to pay for these officers. Again the tax money from 100,000 people must FAR outweigh the salary of a few thousand canadian officers.

If "WE ALL" think it can be improved, then maybe it should be?
And again, you are completely ignoring the request for actual data to back up your argument. Where does this 100,000 comes from? How much money is actually contributed by sponsored spouses vs. how much is spent? Where is all of this extra money to hire officers supposed to actually come from? The government can't even afford to take care of the people currently in this country, so I'm not too sure where you think all of this extra money should come from.

You are simply making stuff up to justify your rant.

canadaguy238

Star Member
Nov 23, 2015
And again, you are completely ignoring the request for actual data to back up your argument. Where does this 100,000 comes from? How much money is actually contributed by sponsored spouses vs. how much is spent? Where is all of this extra money to hire officers supposed to actually come from? The government can't even afford to take care of the people currently in this country, so I'm not too sure where you think all of this extra money should come from.

You are simply making stuff up to justify your rant.
Only the government would have official numbers. All I can do is guess. The money would actually come from the extra taxes paid by the spouses that arrive early. They could also have an option for express processing if you pay extra. It boggles my mind that anyone is saying that they should not hire more officers! There is plenty of money to pay for it and it would be great for the economy.

Last edited:

AlgCad0218

Star Member
Nov 20, 2018
Visa Office......
Paris
App. Filed.......
21-02-2018
File Transfer...
05-05-2018
Med's Done....
03-05-2018
Although I agree that it takes far too long to be reunited with our spouse, the problem is not hiring more agents. There is a huge turnover for this job, part of the problem is that new agents lack training and experience. They are processing cases less quickly. Often times their superiors also lack field experience.

Overseas case officers are Canadians posted in countries that they might not have chosen and I guess it takes a toll. How many of us would do it ?

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
If no one complains about a broken system, then nothing will ever change. I love this country and want it to improve for myself, my family, and all Canadians and future Canadians waiting to move here. I hate to think that over a million future Canadians in just the next 3 years will have to go through this. It really needs to change and someone has to say something.
That’s great! Question, you’ve been a Canadian for 30 years correct? When did you start advocating for a better immigration system? Who have you talked to who you know can actually make a difference?

Huyoen

Star Member
Jan 6, 2019
Hello.

It took my grandparents 5 years to get into new zealand. It took a friend of mine 8 years in total. I'd say 12 months is very fair. :). And yes 8 years to get PR. NOT citizenship. For 8 years they had to renew and renew and renew their visas.

StephanH

Feb 20, 2019
Category........
Um, someone needs to pay for all these new workers. Taxpayers here may want their money to be spent on things like infrastructure, healthcare, etc.

Canada is unusually generous and fast when it comes to immigration. Have you tried getting a US green card? Or UK ILR/PR?
I think most of it comes from us, not the taxpayers? We are paying for this service.. 1040.00, where is that going? + all the other immigration fees that immigrants/students/workers need to pay.

Last edited:

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
I think most of it comes from the US, not the taxpayers? We are paying for this service.. 1040.00, where is that going? + all the other immigration fees that immigrants/students/workers need to pay.
https://www.boundless.com/immigration-resources/marriage-green-card-cost/

How much does it cost to apply for a marriage green card?
The total cost of getting a green card through marriage is approximately $1,960 for an applicant living in the United States or $1,400 for an applicant living abroad. This includes mandatory U.S. government fees, which are nonrefundable, plus the typical cost of the required medical examination.

Note that this is in USD so conversion rates apply.

StephanH

Feb 20, 2019
Category........

People do get their PR's in 3 months now, it happens. Look at the spreadsheets.