+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Why Does Sponsorship Applications Takes so Long As Compared To Other Visa types??

calebyeboah

Oct 5, 2019
I really don't know why family Class visa application takes so so long for decision to be made.. Can someone explain to me?

Smd91_

Apr 6, 2019
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
15-03-2023
I really don't know why family Class visa application takes so so long for decision to be made.. Can someone explain to me?
Because IRCC prioritizes Express entry applicants, they process their applications with Permanent Residency within and under 6 months. They go through mostly same verification process that includes Background check, Criminality, Security & Medical. Compared to UK, Australia and USA, Canada processes spousal sponsorship applications in much slower pace even though only Canada has a big slogan of how important “ family reunification “ is.

So buckle up and be ready for a long ride if you are applying for spousal sponsorship!

Cheers

Last edited:
Reactions: Teepayne

koolord

Star Member
Oct 24, 2019
Maybe they think the economy is more important than family. And they don't care about the order when handling cases.

Smd91_

Apr 6, 2019
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
15-03-2023
Maybe they think the economy is more important than family. And they don't care about the order when handling cases.
I bet hence the skilled workers get priorities in their application process

Smd91_

Apr 6, 2019
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
15-03-2023
Does anyone have ANY clue how long spousal sponsorship used to take ? Do your research , it used to be much much longer .
They say it takes 12 months now but still 50% of the cases, if you do your research on this forum are still taking 14 to 18 months. Yes before it would take 24 months or longer but that was wrong even 12 months is too long. Look up UK, Australia and USA.. 4 to 6 months.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
They say it takes 12 months now but still 50% of the cases, if you do your research on this forum are still taking 14 to 18 months. Yes before it would take 24 months or longer but that was wrong even 12 months is too long. Look up UK, Australia and USA.. 4 to 6 months.
Yah, ok. And probably 4-6 months would be too long for everyone as well

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I looked at numbers pre covid and it was 80 percent within 12 months, about what Govt says. About half within six months.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
There's actually not much difference between family sponsorship and economic immigration streams. The fastest processing for both is around the 5-6 month mark - however other applications can take over a year. Specificially for economic stream applications, the PNP applications generally take a lot longer since there are additional steps involved. Additionally, processing length can be influenced by other factors like background and security checks (this is much easier to complete for some countries than others).

Right now everything is slow due to COVID-19 - family class processing is delayed and so are economic immigration stream applications.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Compared to UK, Australia and USA, Canada processes spousal sponsorship applications in much slower pace even though only Canada has a big slogan of how important “ family reunification “ is.
I'd be cautious about making comparisons like these - sometimes misses important factors.

For example: my understanding for UK is that sponsors must show fairly substantial personal income (or savings), which can be close to impossible for those sponsoring from abroad (i.e. must effectively move first, get employment, and show income). [Caveat here I don't know details and I'm using the Canadian terminology, but this has effectively blocked an acquaintance, at least according to him, from returning to UK with his spouse - not realistic in his current situation to leave his family for an indeterminate period of time.]

And separately here noted that 'express entry' applications often quicker - but then, that route is not blocked for spouses, who can apply under that if they qualify (suggesting they often don't).

And other countries often have 'express' working visa/residency routes that are quicker, too - but without the protections that being a PR includes in Canada (i.e. see H1-B visa issues in USA), may not be able to sponsor their own spouses, etc. And as often noted, the 'two in five' rule to retain residency is objectively generous compared to many countries.

Does that mean I'm happy with how it currently works, esp processing times? No. Just saying that it's easy to make comparisons that don't really hold up, and often these comparisons leave out some 'details' that are pretty important.

AutumnSkies

May 31, 2019
Additionally, processing length can be influenced by other factors like background and security checks (this is much easier to complete for some countries than others.
l think people often forget this can be a factor when they’re looking at the trackers and processing times. And while there may be some countries that process faster, I’m sure those countries have their cases that take longer as well.

If my husband had sponsored me for PR in New Zealand, it would have taken us a lot longer. Having a difficult choice between two great countries, we chose Canada and had our application processed in 109 days, which is about threee months. (Keep in mind that NZ is a country where it’s much easier for Canada to obtain information from.)

Does it suck applications generally take six months or more? Yes, particularly now with COVID-19. Is Canada the only guilty party? Not at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: scylla and armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
What kind of information do IRCC try to obtain from a country?
Criminal records, terrorist activity, organized crime links, etc. Connections with foreign security services. Military records. Etc.

New Zealand less of a concern and records more reliable than, say, North Korea.

Alwx

Star Member
Jun 11, 2020
I am sponsoring my wife from Ukraine, she spent about 9 months in China, 9 months in Jordan and almost 6 months in Turkey. Will it take longer to process? Would it be faster if she never left Ukraine?