+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

why do people apply...

Tri-Cities

Aug 10, 2015
So,
I have been reading a lot these days, and there is this question in my mind, it keeps coming back.

There seem to be a lot of "immigrants" applying for PR, they come into the country, but leaving soon after landing, often for a very long time - meaning months / years.

I know there are certain / different reasons why an immigrant would have to return "home".

But I keep wondering why would you apply for a PR status if you're going to leave the country for a longer period and therefore do not become a PR (=permanent resident).

Some immigrants do not even wait until they get their PR card. Time goes by and when the three year period is up some people even look for a possible appeal.

I find that weird. It doesn't make sense to me.

Don't get me wrong - it's just a question, nothing personal!

TC

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
Tri-Cities said:
So,
I have been reading a lot these days, and there is this question in my mind, it keeps coming back.

There seem to be a lot of "immigrants" applying for PR, they come into the country, but leaving soon after landing, often for a very long time - meaning months / years.

I know there are certain / different reasons why an immigrant would have to return "home".

But I keep wondering why would you apply for a PR status if you're going to leave the country for a longer period and therefore do not become a PR (=permanent resident).

Some immigrants do not even wait until they get their PR card. Time goes by and when the three year period is up some people even look for a possible appeal.

I find that weird. It doesn't make sense to me.

Don't get me wrong - it's just a question, nothing personal!

TC
It depends from person to person...here are some of the reasons:

1.Until recently, the immigration application used to take a few years to get processed..so for some, by the time they got their Visas - they became better settled in their home countries (got promoted/or earning better..etc), so they are not as excited to immigrate as they were a few years ago
2.Some only applied for the canadian PR as a backup (plan B) but are already settled elsewhere and don't have an urgent need to come here
3.Some know how difficult it is to find a professional job and e.t.c, so they go back to their countries to increase their savings before moving permanently...and then before they know it the 3 years have passed.
4.Some have strong ties to their countries and/or have to support their elderly parents, so although they wish to move...it isn't that easy for them
5.Some have moved and lived in Canada for sometime but failed, so they went back to their home countries thinking they will not come again, but then the situation worsened in their countries to the extent that it became better for them to go back to canada.
6.Some people got fed up of the 6 months long winter
7.Some people have no idea why they even applied for canadian immigration...they don't have real intentions to immigrate, they just applied for the sake of applying.

there could be hundreds of other reasons too..i've listed what i think are the most common

nope

Oct 3, 2015
People who immigrate to Canada are often educated and professionals -- they don't come here planning to spend 10 years washing dishes so their children can have a better life. They land to secure their PR status, then the go home to try and arrange a permanent transfer to Canada with a decent job. This is very difficult, sometimes three years pass and they haven't managed -- then they are faced with either giving up their status, or coming here in reduced circumstances. It's not an easy decision.

My wife and I didn't do this, but only because we didn't have enough money. We spent a year in Canada, working at the lowest jobs conceivable -- after that, I got a better job in Montana, and used that to move to Edmonton, where we finally became established as professionals. If we had had one more child I don't know if we could have done it. The Canadian PR is much more generous than the American green card, in that it lets you remain out of the country for almost 3 years -- the people who land and go home are taking advantage of this feature.

Badr

Jun 2, 2016
My thoughts are exactly. why they go through all the trouble to get PR status and then decide not to use it. and to make matter worse by doing so they make it harder for the rest of us to obtain PR status. :eek:

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
Badr said:
My thoughts are exactly. why they go through all the trouble to get PR status and then decide not to use it. and to make matter worse by doing so they make it harder for the rest of us to obtain PR status. :eek:
PR isn't harder to get because immigrants don't stay. It's because immigrants have difficulty in entering the job market, therefore the points system has been modified to add more weight to certain criteria in order to select those that have a higher chance to succeed.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It used to be very easy to get PR. Before 2008, there was no list of occupations and no job offer needed. You just needed to reach a certain number of points with your education and work experience and voila, you were eligible for PR and just needed to apply for it and wait your turn.

There were two main problems with this system. One was that way too many people were applying causing waiting lists of up to 7 years at some visa offices. The other was that when the people were finally getting PR, they were coming to Canada, of course with no job offer because that was not needed, and then finding that they were unable to get jobs in their field, they were working survival jobs, they were unhappy and they were blaming immigration for their problems. So immigration made it harder.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Plus lets not forget people see the wild Canadian outdoors on TV and then they arrive in the GTA and get a reality check !

But as others have said lack of employment opportunities makes settling in harder plus people arrive thinking that the NOC system highlights occupations in demand with plenty of jobs whereas reality turns out to be different in most instances. Other countries with big immigration programs create the same impression with their variation of NOC so this is not unique to Canada.

Also whilst people may moan about people applying and not following through with PR RO that those slots could have been available to others you can possibly bet those same people will also not have an easy ride to settle, works for some but for many it is still an initial struggle regardless of qualifications/experience or funds.

ellia

Nov 12, 2015
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
02-10-2015
AOR Received.
22-11-2015
Med's Done....
23-11-2015
Passport Req..
16-05-2016
LANDED..........
04-07-2016
Another possible reason could be that a person knows that they want to settle and live permanently in Canada, but they can't move right now, and they also know that they will be ineligible to apply a few years from now - because of age, change in family composition or any number of other reasons.
Not to mention, immigration rules can change, like Leon explained about the pre-2008 era. People know that them being eligible now doesn't guarantee they will still be eligible when they're ready to move. Carpe diem, and all that.

RocketCity

Star Member
Mar 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
BIQ Montreal
NOC Code......
U062
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-11-2012
Nomination.....
26-02-2014
AOR Received.
09-05-2014
Med's Request
09-05-2014
Med's Done....
19-05-2014
Interview........
26-02-2014
Passport Req..
RPRF Request 02-03-2015, PPR Request 10-03-2015
emamabd said:
It depends from person to person...here are some of the reasons:

2.Some only applied for the canadian PR as a backup (plan B) but are already settled elsewhere and don't have an urgent need to come here
My reason. I should get my green card in a few months. However, it's still nice to have options in the unlikely case I get a good opportunity in Canada.

Tri-Cities

Aug 10, 2015
Thanks everyone!

I think every single one of you got a good point.

Maybe I don't like the attitude of some people... just life I guess.