+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Who was denied entry to Canada on an open work permit even if you have an IRCC letter?

smileyface19

Star Member
Oct 3, 2019
For all those on open work permit dependent on your spouse, or if you are on student visa, were you denied boarding the plane or entering Canada even if you have a letter of authorization from IRCC that you are exempt from the travel ban?

This also includes those traveling to Canada on family reunification for the sole purpose of living with your spouse long term (more than a year).

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
For all those on open work permit dependent on your spouse, or if you are on student visa, were you denied boarding the plane or entering Canada even if you have a letter of authorization from IRCC that you are exempt from the travel ban?

This also includes those traveling to Canada on family reunification for the sole purpose of living with your spouse long term (more than a year).
I don't think anyone here has managed to get a letter of authorization. :(

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
And again, IRCC is not CBSA. If your travel is deemed non essential, you should expect to be turned away at the border. Even with a letter from IRCC, CBSA has final determination and authority over border entries.

smileyface19

Star Member
Oct 3, 2019
I actually did. But there's no guarantee that I can enter even with a letter so I had to ask since I was already denied boarding once when I ddnt had any letter.

Reactions: scylla

smileyface19

Star Member
Oct 3, 2019
And again, IRCC is not CBSA. If your travel is deemed non essential, you should expect to be turned away at the border. Even with a letter from IRCC, CBSA has final determination and authority over border entries.
Causes a lot of stress numerous rebookings and airline refunds. I am in a position where everything is so unsure whether to risk going there with a letter or not.

marrymechrispratt

Apr 27, 2020
With a letter, you should be able to board the plane. Whether you'll be able to get into the country, however, is up to CBSA...they are very inconsistent during this time, depending on where you're trying to enter. Depends on the officer and their discretion.

Joshva

Star Member
Aug 9, 2018
Hi !

My canada WP (ICT) was approved in Nov 2019.I did not enter canada yet.I am in US currently.My company is requesting me to work remotely from canada, as my work authorization in US is still pending adjudication from USCIS.

Is it possible to enter canada in the given circumstances? what chances do i have

Kindly advise

smileyface19

Star Member
Oct 3, 2019
Hi !

My canada WP (ICT) was approved in Nov 2019.I did not enter canada yet.I am in US currently.My company is requesting me to work remotely from canada, as my work authorization in US is still pending adjudication from USCIS.

Is it possible to enter canada in the given circumstances? what chances do i have

Kindly advise
You will have to call CBSA about it because they will deny or approve on a case by case basis. Explain your case to them. When my husband called CBSA they said even with a letter I need a confirmed job.

Joshva

Star Member
Aug 9, 2018
i called the CBSA today , told them that i have an approved canada WP (ICT) and employment, the officer ( cwinnipeg office ) , told that if i have to work from canada and have an WP approved by IRCC, they will allow entry.

NivedhithaCibi

Jul 22, 2019
Surrey
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
20-09-2021
Passport Req..
03-03-2022
LANDED..........
25-08-2022
i called the CBSA today , told them that i have an approved canada WP (ICT) and employment, the officer ( cwinnipeg office ) , told that if i have to work from canada and have an WP approved by IRCC, they will allow entry.
DId you go? If your employer is shuttered due to COVID in Canada. they might not allow you to enter saying you can work from US instead of Working from home in Canada. Let us know if any progress though

NivedhithaCibi

Jul 22, 2019
Surrey
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
20-09-2021
Passport Req..
03-03-2022
LANDED..........
25-08-2022
I think travel is prohibited as most IT organizations are shut in Canada. We are returning back to india from US