+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Who should be primary applicant

ec15

Jan 19, 2019
My sister (along-with her kid) want to visit me in Canada (from India) for few weeks. My sister's husband isn't planning to join because he wouldn't get leave from work.

Question:
Should my sister apply on her own (sister + kid)?
or sister's husband should also apply (and become primary applicant).

Which one would be a stronger application?

Additional info:
- Sister's husband is well-settled in India with full-time job and a property on their name.
- My sister isn't working.
- This would be first visa for all of them (no previous travel history).
- My sister doesn't maintain active bank account, not much transactions/amount in her bank account.

ec15

Jan 19, 2019
The reason for the question is would it make the application stronger if sister's husband applies (as primary applicant)?

(He isn't sure of his travel plans yet, he might travel together as well, but if not, he can use the visa to travel later-on)

My sister isn't working, doesn't have any travel history, and financially dependent on her husband. So would it be somewhat weaker application if she applies on her own?

Last edited:

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
She has to qualify on her own. If he applies with the entire family, there's a good chance of refusal.

If she applies on her own, she has to qualify on her own, but a husband remaining is a reason to leave Canada.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Neither are stronger because both have significant disadvantages:

- If he applies with her, the whole family is applying which causes a risk of asylum/refugee claims in the eyes of a visa officer.

- If she applies without him, she needs to demonstrate financial capacity and ties to home that would cause her to leave Canada.

Apply without the child. Then, if approved, apply for a visa for the child.