+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Who has to sign the letters of reference for EE work experience?

Zoide

Star Member
Sep 15, 2014
Costa Rica
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

According to the FSW class document checklist, the letters of reference must be "signed by the responsible officer/supervisor".

What does that mean?

Does it have to be the direct supervisor for each of the positions held at the company? (e.g. my team's project manager while I worked as a software developer)

Or can it be the company's HR manager? (e.g. the person who signs job offer letters, termination letters, etc.)

Thanks

SMCANADAVISA

Oct 21, 2014
Zoide said:
Hi,

According to the FSW class document checklist, the letters of reference must be "signed by the responsible officer/supervisor".

What does that mean?

Does it have to be the direct supervisor for each of the positions held at the company? (e.g. my team's project manager while I worked as a software developer)

Or can it be the company's HR manager? (e.g. the person who signs job offer letters, termination letters, etc.)

Thanks
It depends on the policies of the company. However, specifically for Canadian experience it can even be the client who you worked for. Couple of mine were signed by my direct supervisor, one by HR department that only handles this kinda reference letter issue for immigration purpose though the content was approved by my last supervisor, one by the project manager of the client for whom I implemented, one by the partner of the company.

SMCANADAVISA

Oct 21, 2014
Zoide said:
Thanks, but just to be clear, I'm asking about letters for foreign experience.
A letter of reference is a proof of the kind of work you did. Who best can certify that than your immediate supervisor, irrespective of whether foreign or home country experience. Even better if you did a project for a client and the client's manager certified you. I hope your question is answered.

Zoide

Star Member
Sep 15, 2014
Costa Rica
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'm getting mixed messages, with some people saying it has to be the immediate manager/supervisor, and others saying it can be the HR manager.

I'd tend to think that it can be the current HR manager, especially since the form asks for the letter to be "written on company letterhead". For very old positions (~10 years ago), there's a good chance that your former immediate manager doesn't even work at the same company anymore...

Can more people please weigh in?

Thanks

sivamind

Mar 14, 2015
I'm also in same situation.
I've been outsourced to client for few years. My employer don't know my actual duties. My client don't know my salary. As reference letter needs both, i'm stuck now in getting the letters.

Can anyone suggest???

gecordon

Star Member
Mar 7, 2015
Zoide said:
I'm getting mixed messages, with some people saying it has to be the immediate manager/supervisor, and others saying it can be the HR manager.

I'd tend to think that it can be the current HR manager, especially since the form asks for the letter to be "written on company letterhead". For very old positions (~10 years ago), there's a good chance that your former immediate manager doesn't even work at the same company anymore...

Can more people please weigh in?

Thanks
HR Manager, for example in Latinamerica, is not valid if any other people in a company, except HR Manager signs employee references letter.

Zoide

Star Member
Sep 15, 2014
Costa Rica
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
gecordon said:
HR Manager, for example in Latinamerica, is not valid if any other people in a company, except HR Manager signs employee references letter.
Ouch... Are you 100% sure?

My wife's former manager no longer works at the same company. How would she get a letter signed by him on that company's official letterhead? The combination of requirements doesn't make much sense...

gecordon

Star Member
Mar 7, 2015
Zoide said:
Ouch... Are you 100% sure?

My wife's former manager no longer works at the same company. How would she get a letter signed by him on that company's official letterhead? The combination of requirements doesn't make much sense...
Can be current HR Manager. Doesn´t need to be the one that was at the company in your time of employment. You "are" in the company´s files, so current HR Manager, will look there and issue one. That the whole point of the employee reference letters, that you "are" in the company´s files and current HR Manager can anytime report when you worked in the past. If CIC wants to corroborate document, they may reach current HR Manager and confirm

hardi

Apr 25, 2014
I am bit curious regarding the employer. Will they list down "jobs and responsibilities" in reference letter??? Do HR's normally work out for us? I mean its a bit more to ask from them.

2) Copies of pay stubs? What does it mean? We need to get them each month payslips?

Regards
Hardi

Intocanada

Mar 18, 2014
hardi said:
I am bit curious regarding the employer. Will they list down "jobs and responsibilities" in reference letter??? Do HR's normally work out for us? I mean its a bit more to ask from them.

2) Copies of pay stubs? What does it mean? We need to get them each month payslips?

Regards
Hardi
May be tough sometimes. But I got it done and my previous company is a well know and very big company. When I spoke to my HR, she initially said they don't issue roles and responsibilities on company letter head but some how I could convince her. So it worked out well for me.
Yes, you need to submit the payslips. If you can submit last 6 months payslips, it would be good enough.

Feb16

Apr 4, 2015
Hi,sorry to bump in on this conversation.
@ Intocanada etc
I am new on this platform and I have a couple of questions:
1)I am in the EE pool with a score of 335 (FSW) and I want to improve my score, any advice on LMIA?
2)I had several years of experience with one of the companies I listed in my EE profile but the company has closed down and I do not have any evidence of pay stubs etc.

I will be glad if I could get answers and support.