+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

While Waiting for PR

nancyb

Oct 25, 2019
Hi there,

I have some questions regarding to my PR process and my status in Canada.

1. My husband sponsored me in February 2020 for permanent residence. While waiting for my pr card, I got a pregnant, so my question is do I have OHIP covering while waiting for my pr? If yes, how can I apply for it?
2. I also did applied by myself for pr in October 2019 under Express Entry and just got invited. However, my husband already sponsored me and we have submitted the documents. My question is should I still apply pr under Express Entry? As far as I know, if I applied under Express Entry program, it would be faster. Is it right?
3. Can I travelling outside Canada while waiting for PR, I have applied for visitor visa but didn't received visa yet. Is it possible I can travel outside canada and come back without visa while waiting for my pr card?

I would appreciated if someone could help me with these concerns

Thank you.

bian07

May 19, 2017
1) you only qualify for ohip when your pr application is almost done being processed or if you applied for a work permit as well and have a letter from your employer that they will have you employed full time for at least 6 months.
2) Not sure about that but i believe express entry is faster yes.
3) depends if you applied for inland or outland sponsorship. outland you can travel as much as you want, for inland applications it is not advised to travel because they can deny you entry when you come back into canada which can result as your sponsorship application being seen as abandoned.

nancyb

Oct 25, 2019
Thanks for your answer. I have been working for a company for 2 years, and my work permit is recently expired and I have apply to extend my work permit. I have applied ohip and it's expired since my work permit is expired. Can I apply for OHIP when waiting for my work permit approved. Technically, I am legally working in Canada.

nancyb

Oct 25, 2019
1) you only qualify for ohip when your pr application is almost done being processed or if you applied for a work permit as well and have a letter from your employer that they will have you employed full time for at least 6 months.
2) Not sure about that but i believe express entry is faster yes.
3) depends if you applied for inland or outland sponsorship. outland you can travel as much as you want, for inland applications it is not advised to travel because they can deny you entry when you come back into canada which can result as your sponsorship application being seen as abandoned.
Thanks for your answer. I have been working for a company for 2 years, and my work permit is recently expired and I have apply to extend my work permit. I have applied ohip and it's expired since my work permit is expired. Can I apply for OHIP when waiting for my work permit approved. Technically, I am legally working in Canada.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Just to add on (3) you should not leave Canada at all if you do not have a current TRV or are visa exempt given of course without a valid TRV or being visa exempt you would not be able to travel back to Canada. Having a PR application in process on its own is not an authorisation to travel back to Canada .