+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

While SOWP application in progress, can spouse enter as a visitor ?

x0ne0ne

Aug 17, 2023
Hello All,

I came to canada as a visitor with my husband. I was able to find a job in canada with LMIA approved from employer so i stayed back and my husband went back to our home country.
I did flag-polling to get the LMIA based work permit but did not realize even though my LMIA will support me for 3 years but my passport was expiring in October, 2023 so the officer only issued me work permit till October, 2023 and asked me apply for extension online after renewing my passport.

Since then i have renewed my passport and now in process of filling work permit extension. Online application give me an option to add family member to the application so i was thinking of applying my husband’s SOWP along with my extension application. I have few questions regarding the process
  1. First can i apply SOWP with my work permit extension application ?
  2. My husband will be travelling again to canada on his valid visitor visa in November while his SOWP application in progress, will he have any trouble getting into canada on visitor visa or will this effect his SOWP application
  3. I was told that you cannot apply for extensions to work permit at POE via flag-polling. Can someone confirm if thats true it will save me from waiting 145 days for processing online
Thanks much in advance! Sorry for lengthy text, i wanted to provide whole context.

BA101

Champion Member
Nov 29, 2021
Hello All,

I came to canada as a visitor with my husband. I was able to find a job in canada with LMIA approved from employer so i stayed back and my husband went back to our home country.
I did flag-polling to get the LMIA based work permit but did not realize even though my LMIA will support me for 3 years but my passport was expiring in October, 2023 so the officer only issued me work permit till October, 2023 and asked me apply for extension online after renewing my passport.

Since then i have renewed my passport and now in process of filling work permit extension. Online application give me an option to add family member to the application so i was thinking of applying my husband’s SOWP along with my extension application. I have few questions regarding the process
  1. First can i apply SOWP with my work permit extension application ?
  2. My husband will be travelling again to canada on his valid visitor visa in November while his SOWP application in progress, will he have any trouble getting into canada on visitor visa or will this effect his SOWP application
  3. I was told that you cannot apply for extensions to work permit at POE via flag-polling. Can someone confirm if thats true it will save me from waiting 145 days for processing online
Thanks much in advance! Sorry for lengthy text, i wanted to provide whole context.
1. Yes
2. No
3. Yes

x0ne0ne

Aug 17, 2023
Many thanks for your reply, another follow up on #1 when i apply for my extension and SOWP application for my husband together, my husband would not be in canada.
can you confirm there is no such requirement that he has be in canada for me to add his sowp application with my extension application.
thanks again!

BA101

Champion Member
Nov 29, 2021
Many thanks for your reply, another follow up on #1 when i apply for my extension and SOWP application for my husband together, my husband would not be in canada.
can you confirm there is no such requirement that he has be in canada for me to add his sowp application with my extension application.
thanks again!
SOWP is for spouse outside Canada