+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Which would be better...

Eric Parker

Star Member
Jun 26, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
When the time to "Land" comes, which is better to do?

1. Airport or Land Border Crossing?

2. If Land Border Crossing - Peace Arch to Vancouver, Laurier WA crossing to Cranbrook, or Eastport ID crossing to Crowsnest Pass (in other words, do I go to the more popluar crossing or do I go to the lesser known (and less traffic congested) crossings)?

3. In any case, would they allow me to settle up in Canada for a couple of weeks, then come back to the US to pick up the rest of my stuff (the 'goods to follow' route)? Even though they would be sending to me my PR card to my new Canada address, would I have to wait for my PR card to show up to get my stuff, or would they have something for me to show in lieu of a PR card (temporarily, of course) for me to return to the US to get my items after settling for two weeks or so?

mitamata

Nov 21, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2009
AOR Received.
27-03-2009
Med's Done....
03-12-2008
Passport Req..
29-04-2009
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2009
LANDED..........
27-07-2009
As you're an US citizen, you shouldn't have any problems driving across the border without a PR card, especially if you had your COPR with you (which you should). My mother-in-law's been doing it for years. I doubt you'd have any problems with an airline either.

Not sure which landing to recommend. I landed at Vancouver airport and the whole thing was very painless - took some 10, 15 minutes, most of that time was spent checking the forms while I waited. I got there at 5 pm in the afternoon and there was only one family landing there before me, so there was no waiting time.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
but if you are from the country that requires visa, you cannot leave until you get PR card

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Suin said:
but if you are from the country that requires visa, you cannot leave until you get PR card
Not true. You can have your PR card sent to you by a family member or friend when it has been sent by CIC or you can apply for a travel document from the Canadian embassy in the country where you are located.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Eric Parker said:
When the time to "Land" comes, which is better to do?

1. Airport or Land Border Crossing?

2. If Land Border Crossing - Peace Arch to Vancouver, Laurier WA crossing to Cranbrook, or Eastport ID crossing to Crowsnest Pass (in other words, do I go to the more popluar crossing or do I go to the lesser known (and less traffic congested) crossings)?

3. In any case, would they allow me to settle up in Canada for a couple of weeks, then come back to the US to pick up the rest of my stuff (the 'goods to follow' route)? Even though they would be sending to me my PR card to my new Canada address, would I have to wait for my PR card to show up to get my stuff, or would they have something for me to show in lieu of a PR card (temporarily, of course) for me to return to the US to get my items after settling for two weeks or so?
The only border office with Immigration services in South East BC is Kingsgate and only from 8-Midnight.

PMM

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
rjessome said:
Suin said:
Not true. You can have your PR card sent to you by a family member or friend when it has been sent by CIC or you can apply for a travel document from the Canadian embassy in the country where you are located.
they don't recommend you to travel, especially if you do not have anyone to receive a PR card for you. also in Visa Office abroad it takes time to apply and receive a travel document. these are not my words - words from experts

Eric Parker

Star Member
Jun 26, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks PMM. I would assume Kingsgate is the one next to Eastport ID.

Would you know any data of the crossings to Alberta? I assume Coots is 24/7 (being it is the endpoint of US Interstate 15)?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Eric Parker said:
Thanks PMM. I would assume Kingsgate is the one next to Eastport ID.

Would you know any data of the crossings to Alberta? I assume Coots is 24/7 (being it is the endpoint of US Interstate 15)?
1. Coutts is 24/7 but Carway has limited hours for Immigration.

PMM