+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Which way to go? Please help!

elabelela

Jul 18, 2010
Hi,
I have a question to ask to those with knowledge on the topic of sponsoring children. I appreciate all the input on this, so please bear with me.

To make the long story short: We (myself, my wife, & our child) are landed immigrant in Canada as of 04/2008. We stayed in Canada until January 2009 as we failed to get jobs and spent all the money we had that time (instead I got a job in the USA and moved there). During our stay in the USA we were blessed with another child. I recently got a job offer and planning to re-establish my residency in Canada (as of January, 2010) to start my new job in NL.

Now, what is the best way to get my child back with me in Canada? Can I apply for a visit visa on behalf of my child? Is there anything my future employer can do to facilitate this?

I know that if you are a PR you need to be residing in Canada so you can sponsor someone. The thing is that I do not want to wait until I go there to be able sponsor my child. Please help.

Thanks

I

iarblue

Being a Canadian PR and wanting to bring your child to Canada who is American wont be that difficult at all.Make sure you have lots of proof of your job in NFLD.Childs passport and both parents to the border tell the IO that you are returning to Canada as you are a PR and you have a job offer that starts -------.Let them know your one child was born in the States and you are going to start his sponsorship right away.
They will give the child a stamp or record that will be long enough to obtain his PR.If you know where you will be living in Canada you can start his PR just before you move giving your address you will be going to in NFLD.So the fees are paid to show the IO.But dont do this until you get like a month from the move date.You just want the process to just start not get months in and your still in the US.Even a week or two before you move so the application is on its way to Mississauga and the fees are paid.By the time the app is open you will be in Canada.
Do not send in the childs passport just a notorized copy.You will need it at the border.

elabelela

Jul 18, 2010
thanks for the input but I am still confused....I have heard stories of people with PR bringing their US-born childern to canada and being refused addmission on grounds of their childern are not allowed in canada as immigrants without proper documentation. the last thing i want to have is to complicate the situation further! please advise...

I

iarblue

I have never heard this.Spouses come to Canada from the US all the time to wait out their PR as they prove to the IO that they have one in Process and proof of the fees.So if they can do it i dont see why your child cant,especially when their parents are PR's.
But like i said if you pay the fees and send off the app just before you come then you show the IO at the border you have applied for the childs sponsorship and you have paid the fees,i cant imagine the IO is going to say no.Especially when your coming in for a job.

elabelela

Jul 18, 2010
so your suggestion is to start an application and then travel. but another problem is that as a PR one can not sponsor as long they reside outside canada.