+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Which way is faster??

Apr 29, 2008
Hi. I'm new here. My fiance is in Edmonton, Alberta. I've been offered a job there but have read that it could take a year for my processing times even though work is already set up. Would it be any faster to get married an then immigrate to Alberta? If it is quicker, can I work as soon as I get there or would there be more processing times for a work permit?

Thanks Ya'll!

rgvinson777

Dec 12, 2007
Processing times differ depending where you would be immigrating from. You cant work without a permit. Spousal sponsorship times differ depending upon whether you do an "In Canada" or "Outland" application.

Not sure on the 'worker visa' times.

ThirstyDeer

Star Member
Feb 10, 2008
If you apply inland, you can simultaneously apply for a worker's permit, which you'd probably get when you reach first stage approval for immigration (could be up to a year). If you apply via the outside route, you can't do anything (go to school, work) until you have been approved and entered Canada (or re-enter Canada) after receiving your PR. The timeline for the outside route depends on which country you are coming from. Mind you, since you're not married yet, you can't start the spousal application till after you get married.

rgvinson777

Dec 12, 2007
Be sure to check the processing times for the area from which you will be immigrating. Inland applications take a long time and the "Aproval in Principle" doesn't come until late in the process. The outland process is much faster judging by everything I have read and seen in my own case. If you want to see an assorted number of cases to compare, you can visit www.trackitt.com.