+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Which Visa procedure makes the most sense?

thestormtrooper

Oct 30, 2019
Hi,

I’m looking for some help as I’m not too clued up on the best approach for obtaining a Canadian visa with my current situation.

I’m going to be flying over to Canada in a few weeks to join my girlfriend who is a Canadian citizen and lives in Alberta. She is a teacher, she was going to move to join me in the UK but as it would result in something like a 50% pay cut we’ve decided it’s better that I go and join her. She also makes enough money to support the two of us.

It’s probably easier I just list bullet points to explain my situation.

- I recently quit my job, and I have funds saved.
- I am from the UK.
- I have 1 x degree, 1 x post graduate, and 1 x Masters. All in Business and Computing related subjects.
- I have worked in IT freelance database and website related for the last 15 years or so.
- I am currently 41.
- My girlfriend has a job as a teacher
- We’ve been seeing each other for a few years which has been a lot of flying back and forward. We now wish to progress.
- I have an Uncle and Aunt who live near Vancouver and have been there for 40-50 years and are Canadian citizens.

As things stand I will go on a tourist visa which should give me 6 months (180 days/179 days to be sure?).

As we are not planning on getting married straight away but are wanting to take things a bit more seriously and maybe buy a house etc.

My question is basically, what is my best approach to obtaining a visa and looking to stay in Canada longer term, years rather than tourist based months? Is it fine to go on a tourist visa and then progress from there? Spousal Sponsorship? Family Visa via my Uncle and Aunt? Or is there something else I should be doing that makes more sense?

Sorry for the very basic questions, I’m not the most clued up with this and don’t want to make an error that I look back on as… oh, I should have done that…?!

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Regards

Stuart

Last edited:

Jets13

Dec 12, 2016
Hi,

I’m looking for some help as I’m not too clued up on the best approach for obtaining a Canadian visa with my current situation.

I’m going to be flying over to Canada in a few weeks to join my girlfriend who is a Canadian citizen and lives in Alberta. She is a teacher, she was going to move to join me in the UK but as it would result in something like a 50% pay cut we’ve decided it’s better that I go and join her. She also makes enough money to support the two of us.

- I am from the UK.
- I have 1 x degree, 1 x post graduate, and 1 x Masters. All in Business and Computing related subjects.
- I have worked in IT freelance database and website related for the last 15 years or so.
- I am currently 41.
- We’ve been seeing each other for a few years which has been a lot of flying back and forward. We now wish to progress.
- I have an Uncle and Aunt who live near Vancouver and have been there for 40-50 years and are Canadian citizens.

As things stand I will go on a tourist visa which should give me 6 months (180 days/179 days to be sure?).

As we are not planning on getting married straight away but are wanting to take things a bit more seriously and maybe buy a house etc.

My question is basically, what is my best approach to obtaining a visa and looking to stay in Canada longer term, years rather than tourist based months? Is it fine to go on a tourist visa and then progress from there? Spousal Sponsorship? Family Visa via my Uncle and Aunt? Or is there something else I should be doing that makes more sense?

Sorry for the very basic questions, I’m not the most clued up with this and don’t want to make an error that I look back on as… oh, I should have done that…?!

Regards

Stuart
I do not believe you can work (legally) while you are here on a tourist visa, nor would you get medical coverage so you would be dependent on your girlfriends income but one option could be you get in for 6 months, then prior to the 6 month point you apply to extend your stay to get another 6 months. Then with 12 months of continuous cohabitation you can qualify as common law and can apply for spousal sponsorship that way considering you do not want to get married. I would search threads in the family sponsorship section of this forum regarding common law sponsorships.

You could use the first 5 months or so to decide if this is serious and worth marriage since you have been dating for many years and then get married prior to your 6 months. Then apply for spousal sponsorship inland. Again if you doing spousal sponsorship either with the first option or the marriage option you can research on inland vs outland and see what has the most pros vs cons for you. Here is a link to spousal sponsorship.
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/spousal-sponsorship.46995/

You could try to qualify for pr on your own, but your age could be a limiting factor. Search the express entry section of this forum, and see how many points you can get with your qualifications. Right now around 460-470 seems to be the cut off (infact draw this week the lowest score was 475). here is a link to that section.
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/express-entry-step-by-step-instructions.273928/

Your aunt and uncle cannot sponsor you.

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
+1 to what Jets13 said.

Basically spousal sponsorship would be the most likely to work, BUT you would either have to get married, OR live together for 12 continuous months (and have the required evidence to prove it etc.), only then you could apply as Inland Common Law Spousal Sponsorship with an OWP (Open Work Permit) at the same time.

OWP would take 4 months to approve, inland spousal would take 12 months.

In the meantime as a visitor for 12 months, you would not be entitled to Canadian provincial healthcare and could not work. Also you would need to be careful NOT to make it look like you were packing everything in and moving permanently to Canada as you could be refused entry by CBSA. Packing in your job and selling property before the trip screams to CBSA that you have no 'enduring ties' and may view you as at risk of over-staying. So I suppose your reason for visit would be more along the lines of 'taking a sabbatical for a few months and visiting your girlfriend'.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,

- I am from the UK.
- I am currently 41.

Regards

Stuart
All you can do is visit at this time. You cannot live here. You also cannot work and won't be covered by Canada's health care system. How long you are allowed to visit is determined by the CBSA officer at the border. A six month visit is not guaranteed.
Aunt and uncle cannot sponsor you for permanent residency.
Easiest option is to marry your girlfriend and have her sponsor you for permanent residency. Or you can live together for a year first to become common law. But keep in mind that you won't be able to work for that year and will be paying for all health care out of pocket.
Other option is for you to qualify for PR on your own through an economic immigration stream like Express Entry. You are unfortunately on the wrong side of this age-wise, meaning that Canada's immigration programs are geared towards young professional workers. You can look into the Express Entry program to see how many points you have. Right now you need around 460 points to be selected for PR.

Last edited:

Jets13

Dec 12, 2016
All you can do is visit at this time. You cannot live here. You also cannot work and won't be covered by Canada's health care system.
Aunt and uncle cannot sponsor you for permanent residency.
Easiest option is to marry your girlfriend and have her sponsor you for permanent residency. Or you can live together for a year first to become common law. But keep in mind that you won't be able to work for that year and will be paying for all health care out of pocket.
Other option is for you to qualify for PR on your own through an economic immigration stream like Express Entry. You are unfortunately on the wrong side of this age-wise, meaning that Canada's immigration programs are geared towards young professional workers. You can look into the Express Entry program to see how many points you have. Right now you need around 460 points to be selected for PR.
draw was at 475 yesterday, been consistently high the last few times, other forum members are hoping it gets down to 460 by end of the year or early jan.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
draw was at 475 yesterday, been consistently high the last few times, other forum members are hoping it gets down to 460 by end of the year or early jan.
Agreed the last round was high. The 4-5 before yesterday's round were in the mid/low 460's or high 450's.