+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Which SIM Card to purchase and internet plans to buy ?

BC4life

Nov 5, 2015
Toronto, ON
Visa Office......
HKVO
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
06-10-2016
AOR Received.
07-12-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
19-12-2016
Passport Req..
28-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2017
LANDED..........
XX-07-2017
Howz quality of Public Mobile. I have read that it's worse than Koodo though both piggy back on Telus infrastructure. Any issues with dropped calls or internet.
Quality is fine never had any network issue.

Reactions: APPNOV2014NY

BC4life

Nov 5, 2015
Toronto, ON
Visa Office......
HKVO
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
06-10-2016
AOR Received.
07-12-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
19-12-2016
Passport Req..
28-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2017
LANDED..........
XX-07-2017
For banks, TD is pretty good. They have some basic no-fee accounts which you can take advantage of. Also, I've heard RBC has a newcomer program, where I think it's same as TD in terms of no-fee account and they also give you a credit card. You should verify this info online though, as their offers continually change.

On a separate note: credit is quite important in Canada as a lot of things happen on credit history and score. For example, it is often used for residential lease approval (renting a place), getting a cell phone, leasing a car, getting approved for house loan (mortgage), etc. Credit is vitally important. So it would be helpful to get at least 1 credit card to your name, and do some basic expenditures with it and pay it, that will build your credit score. Literally even if you buy only 1 carton of milk on that card the entire month, that's fine... as long as you pay it off on time. It takes minimum 3 payment cycles (on time) to get a good credit rating so that should be a priority. Just a suggestion!

Re: cell phone
I am on Bell and their cell reception is decent. On the other hand, their customer service is terrible. Rogers has a little less reception outside the GTA but within Toronto/Brampton/Mississauga, they are perfectly fine. I have used Rogers and Bell and not had any issue. I would advise checking with a cheaper counterpart on the same network, as many other people have mentioned. I've also heard Wind/Chatr are very cheap and have some unlimited data plans (never tried these myself) but people say the network is spotty.
I am not aware of any no-fee account from TD or the other Big 5 Banks (unless you are a student or a youth). For free banking you will need to look at the online banks such as Simplii or Tangerine. TD however offers newcomers 6 months free banking as well as a credit card which is great to start building credit. Other big 5 banks (CIBC, RBC, Scotia, BMO) offer similar plans

Reactions: APPNOV2014NY

anujoshi

Star Member
Apr 18, 2015
Toronto, ON, Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am not aware of any no-fee account from TD or the other Big 5 Banks (unless you are a student or a youth). For free banking you will need to look at the online banks such as Simplii or Tangerine. TD however offers newcomers 6 months free banking as well as a credit card which is great to start building credit. Other big 5 banks (CIBC, RBC, Scotia, BMO) offer similar plans
Yes I was referring to the 6-months no-fee promotion at TD - a friend of mine who immigrated here in Jan just got that.