+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Which options do I have?

Bohne0208

Aug 27, 2014
I am in Canada at the moment with a working holoday visa. I would like to stay longer and I am also looking for a way of maybe immigrating. I got a lot of informations about work permit and PR. And now I am more confused then before. I hope one of you can give me an advice or direction.
The following circumstances are:
-WHV will expires on the 28th of sept.
-having a job in BC
-I am working as a receptionist and housekeeper in a guesthouse/25-34h a week/$12 an hour/since August 2014
-I would like to continue working
-Employer does not want to apply for LMIA because it is too expensive for this small company to pay the 1000CAD LMIA fee
-but she would make a job offer for me
-my age is 37

What kind of work permit would make sense for me?

Thank you in advance for your help

Anja

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
To get a work permit you do need an approved LMIA - the job offer isn't enough. So if your current employer isn't able / willing to go through the LMIA process, you'll need to find a new employer who is if you want to stay.

Good luck.

Anna999

Jan 4, 2017
I'm confused, how can you be on a working holiday visa at 37 years old, I thought there was an age limit?

Also, can you not offer to pay the $1000 application fee yourself?

I am also going through this myself, a lot of hassle and frustration!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Anna999 said:
I'm confused, how can you be on a working holiday visa at 37 years old, I thought there was an age limit?

Also, can you not offer to pay the $1000 application fee yourself?

I am also going through this myself, a lot of hassle and frustration!
The age limit for many countries is 35, so a person who applied at the max age and received a 2 year permit can be 37.

No, the employer is not allowed to take the $1000 from you.

Anna999

Jan 4, 2017
So my LMIA application was sent off early November, to be sent back to my place of employment late January with no information on where it had been or who had looked at it, we assumed it had got lost in the post as there was no records anywhere of it being processed.
I offered to pay the processing fee, I felt it was just a kind gesture, it is only $1000 after all.

So now my application has been faxed, with my own credit card details in the payment section. What would you advise my employer and I to do now? Wait for it to be rejected and then amend the fee payer, or try to access it and amend the fee payer before it gets processed?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Anna999 said:
Why is the employee not allowed to pay for the LMIA?
https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/foreign-workers/hire/median-wage/high/requirements.html

Employers must be aware that Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC), has a policy that prohibits employers and third-party representatives from recovering the LMIA processing fee from TFWs.

I imagine it is to prevent employees from essentially buying jobs.

ozlis

Oct 20, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Anna999 said:
So my LMIA application was sent off early November, to be sent back to my place of employment late January with no information on where it had been or who had looked at it, we assumed it had got lost in the post as there was no records anywhere of it being processed.
I offered to pay the processing fee, I felt it was just a kind gesture, it is only $1000 after all.

So now my application has been faxed, with my own credit card details in the payment section. What would you advise my employer and I to do now? Wait for it to be rejected and then amend the fee payer, or try to access it and amend the fee payer before it gets processed?
It is totally not allowed and they can absolutely revoke any LMIA if they find that the employee paid in any way (monetary, additional work etc)

Anna999

Jan 4, 2017
Thank you for the information, I am very pleased to say that my employer has amanded this and is covering the costs as per required.

Thanks again all