+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Which option is better for showing proof of funds for Canada visitor visa application?

batraabhishek

Apr 14, 2024
I'm a married individual living with my wife and mother in India. I'm intending to visit my sister in Canada and therefore need to apply for a visitor visa. Here's my situation:

I'm a salaried employee, but due to various investments offered by my employer such as the Employee Stock Purchase Program and Employee Provident Fund, my in-hand salary appears relatively low. Moreover, I have an ongoing home loan, with the monthly EMI consuming 60% of the funds credited to my salary account. Consequently, my six-month bank statement might not be sufficient as proof of funds.

I'm contemplating two possible options to bolster my visa application:
  1. Liquidating some of my stocks and transferring the funds into my savings account. I would then explain in my cover letter that these funds genuinely belong to me and provide transaction details to support this assertion.
  2. Showing my diverse portfolio of investments, which includes mutual funds, stocks, bonds, and joint property, as proof of funds.
In both cases, I plan to provide supporting documents such as an Employer No Objection Certificate (NOC) and pay stubs.

Which of these options would be more favorable for my Canada visitor visa application?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I'm a married individual living with my wife and mother in India. I'm intending to visit my sister in Canada and therefore need to apply for a visitor visa. Here's my situation:

I'm a salaried employee, but due to various investments offered by my employer such as the Employee Stock Purchase Program and Employee Provident Fund, my in-hand salary appears relatively low. Moreover, I have an ongoing home loan, with the monthly EMI consuming 60% of the funds credited to my salary account. Consequently, my six-month bank statement might not be sufficient as proof of funds.

I'm contemplating two possible options to bolster my visa application:
  1. Liquidating some of my stocks and transferring the funds into my savings account. I would then explain in my cover letter that these funds genuinely belong to me and provide transaction details to support this assertion.
  2. Showing my diverse portfolio of investments, which includes mutual funds, stocks, bonds, and joint property, as proof of funds.
In both cases, I plan to provide supporting documents such as an Employer No Objection Certificate (NOC) and pay stubs.

Which of these options would be more favorable for my Canada visitor visa application?
How long is visit? How much in funds do you have now Why would you liquidate funds just to visit Canada? You need to show 6 month bank statement with enough funds in the bank that supports your visit without using all your savings, and also still supporting spouse. So selling funds and not providing 6 month statement may not be considered. Mutual funds, stocks, funds can be shown but are not considered unless liquid. Property is not POF.

batraabhishek

Apr 14, 2024
Thanks, @Naturgrl for your reply.
How long is visit?
- I am planning a trip for 10 days
How much in funds do you have now Why would you liquidate funds just to visit Canada?
- Currently, I have 2.30 Lakh in my savings accounts. I know saving account is a shortcoming of my profile, and I am trying to figure out if this can compensated via investments.
You need to show 6 month bank statement with enough funds in the bank that supports your visit without using all your savings, and also still supporting spouse.
- I have investments close to 60-70 Lakh INR, so liquidating 10% wouldn't impact the overall savings. I will be travelling alone.

I do intend to provide the 6-month bank statement. I know the bulk transaction will be visible.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thanks, @Naturgrl for your reply.

- I am planning a trip for 10 days

- Currently, I have 2.30 Lakh in my savings accounts. I know saving account is a shortcoming of my profile, and I am trying to figure out if this can compensated via investments.

- I have investments close to 60-70 Lakh INR, so liquidating 10% wouldn't impact the overall savings. I will be travelling alone.

I do intend to provide the 6-month bank statement. I know the bulk transaction will be visible.
Ok. That should be fine. I don’t know what your funds are in Canadian dollars. Show POF, travel history, ties to return and valid reasons to travel.