+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Which is advisable for a married couple? Spousal Visa or TRV?

angelicgil

Dec 7, 2017
I will be applying a tourist visa next month to visit my husband who is a Canadian citizen. I read somewhere that since I am married to a Canadian, I have ties to Canada and therefore, there is a chance that they will reject my TRV application thinking that I might overstay.
I am currently employed but I applied for a 3-month vacation although on my itinerary, I said that I will only visit for 3 weeks. I've been with the company for 7 years but I have no property under my name. Do you think I have a chance of getting approved?

My husband works in an oilfield and he will go on vacation for a month (April) that's why I wanted to go to Canada at that time. We just got married last Nov. 2017 here in the Philippines and I want to meet his family.

Questions:
1. Will it be advisable to apply for a spousal visa instead?
2. Will I have better chances of getting approved a TRV if I have a pending spousal visa application?

Teolo28

Star Member
Jul 25, 2015
I will be applying a tourist visa next month to visit my husband who is a Canadian citizen. I read somewhere that since I am married to a Canadian, I have ties to Canada and therefore, there is a chance that they will reject my TRV application thinking that I might overstay.
I am currently employed but I applied for a 3-month vacation although on my itinerary, I said that I will only visit for 3 weeks. I've been with the company for 7 years but I have no property under my name. Do you think I have a chance of getting approved?

My husband works in an oilfield and he will go on vacation for a month (April) that's why I wanted to go to Canada at that time. We just got married last Nov. 2017 here in the Philippines and I want to meet his family.

Questions:
2. Will I have better chances of getting approved a TRV if I have a pending spousal visa application?
Hi,

spousal visa will take time and TRV is much faster however, since you are married to a citizen I could say that the chances are less. but you can try your luck.

First thing they will consider:
-ties to home country
-Travel history
-Financial status

Just try to apply online just make sure to provide all supporting docs.
-invitation letter from your husband
-bank statement-for you and your husband
-medical insurance cert
-flight reservation
-Marriage Cert
-detailed itinerary.

The fees is only CAD100.

Goodluck..

angelicgil

Dec 7, 2017
Hi,

spousal visa will take time and TRV is much faster however, since you are married to a citizen I could say that the chances are less. but you can try your luck.

-ties to home country
-Travel history
-Financial status

-medical insurance cert
-flight reservation
-Marriage Cert
-detailed itinerary.

The fees is only CAD100.

Goodluck..
I have been working for 7 years, I have more than $4000CAD in my bank account. I have insurance and investments here. I have travelled to Japan, South Korea, Macau, Singapore and Hongkong. So aside from the supporting docs from my husband, I'm planning to send these documents. Do you think a have a chance? :)

Reactions: Teolo28

Teolo28

Star Member
Jul 25, 2015
I have been working for 7 years, I have more than $4000CAD in my bank account. I have insurance and investments here. I have travelled to Japan, South Korea, Macau, Singapore and Hongkong. So aside from the supporting docs from my husband, I'm planning to send these documents. Do you think a have a chance? :)
Great..

if I were you apply online as it is more convenient. I got even denied in my first attempt and got recently last Nov2017 for 1yr multiple entry. You just need to scan all your docs and also a xerox copy of your previous passport showing your visas..
You can check in and create an acct in CIC..

Reactions: angelicgil

angelicgil

Dec 7, 2017
Great..

if I were you apply online as it is more convenient. I got even denied in my first attempt and got recently last Nov2017 for 1yr multiple entry. You just need to scan all your docs and also a xerox copy of your previous passport showing your visas..
Thank you. :)

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Great..

It's great that you're trying to help the OP. However, your situation is completely different from hers. It is not a case of one-size-fits-all. She would need to present her case/her situation very differently from your situation

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014

Questions:
Hi,

1. Where does your husband live currently?

2. What documents would you be submitting?

3. Unfortunately, none of the countries you have mentioned would help towards your 'Travel History' for a TRV.

4. What ties can you prove to the Philippines? Any dependent family members? Any work or family commitments shortly after you return from your visit?

Cheers

angelicgil

Dec 7, 2017
Hi,

1. Where does your husband live currently?

2. What documents would you be submitting?

3. Unfortunately, none of the countries you have mentioned would help towards your 'Travel History' for a TRV.

4. What ties can you prove to the Philippines? Any dependent family members? Any work or family commitments shortly after you return from your visit?

Cheers
1. My husband lives in Alberta.
2. a. For myself, these are the documents I'm planning to submit:
- Certificate of employment, paystubs, tax reports, bank statement, credit card billing statements, sample day-to day- itinerary, flight reservation, explanation letter, some proof of our relationship (e.g. marriage cert, pictures, his flight details when he visited me, etc.), my passport stamps
b. For my husband:
- invitation letter saying that he will shoulder all the expenses, bank statements, pay stubs, notice of assessment), a copy of his passport and birth certificate
3. I don't think I can do something about this right now so I will just leave it like that.
4. I have been with my current employer for 7 years. For family ties, I am the breadwinner so my parents depend on me financially but I do not want to mention that I will need to go back because of them as I am planning to apply for a Spousal Visa later this year.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
1. My husband lives in Alberta.
2. a. For myself, these are the documents I'm planning to submit:
- Certificate of employment, paystubs, tax reports, bank statement, credit card billing statements, sample day-to day- itinerary, flight reservation, explanation letter, some proof of our relationship (e.g. marriage cert, pictures, his flight details when he visited me, etc.), my passport stamps
b. For my husband:
- invitation letter saying that he will shoulder all the expenses, bank statements, pay stubs, notice of assessment), a copy of his passport and birth certificate
3. I don't think I can do something about this right now so I will just leave it like that.
4. I have been with my current employer for 7 years. For family ties, I am the breadwinner so my parents depend on me financially but I do not want to mention that I will need to go back because of them as I am planning to apply for a Spousal Visa later this year.
I would recommend that you focus on the spousal PR application as chances of being approved for a TRV are pretty low. That's because:
1. You married recently + your husband is a Canadian citizen = IRCC would likely believe that you will overstay your visit.

2. You do not have any solid reasons to return to the Philippines + You don't have a strong travel history of short visits to visa-required countries

If you would still like to apply, I suggest that you should include:
1. A revised leave approval letter issued by your employer for 3 weeks max.. Do not submit the current letter as it indicates weak employment ties.

2. Evidence that you must return by XX date for a critical work commitment that no one else can manage in your absence and/or family event

3. Any other solid reason (for example, you have purchased/paid in part for a property/land/vehicle) + Evidence that your family is dependent on you (for example, you pay the rent, home renovations, utility bills, etc)

4. Be careful in your choice of words for the invitation letter + purpose of visit. Nothing to the effect of 'missing each other', 'just married recently', 'want to spend time together', etc

5. Copies of your financial investments + mention if these are locked-in/can be liquidated, if required

Last edited:

angelicgil

Dec 7, 2017
I would recommend that you focus on the spousal PR application as chances of being approved for a TRV are pretty low. That's because:
1. You married recently + your husband is a Canadian citizen = IRCC would likely believe that you will overstay your visit.

2. You do not have any solid reasons to return to the Philippines + You don't have a strong travel history of short visits to visa-required countries

If you would still like to apply, I suggest that you should include:
1. A revised leave approval letter issued by your employer for 3 weeks max.. Do not submit the current letter as it indicates weak employment ties.

2. Evidence that you must return by XX date for a critical work commitment that no one else can manage in your absence and/or family event

3. Any other solid reason (for example, you have purchased/paid in part for a property/land/vehicle) + Evidence that your family is dependent on you (for example, you pay the rent, home renovations, utility bills, etc)

4. Be careful in your choice of words for the invitation letter + purpose of visit. Nothing to the effect of 'missing each other', 'just married recently', 'want to spend time together', etc

5. Copies of your financial investments + mention if these are locked-in/can be liquidated, if required
What if we apply for a spousal visa this January and then apply for a trv on Feb, do you think ilI have a chance of getting approved? On the explanation letter for the TRV, I will indicate that I will not overstay coz I would not want to ruin or put my sponsorship application at risk.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I would suggest that you not purchase any plane tickets because your chances of receiving a trv are quite low. CIC will assume that you will be applying for spousal sponsorship sooner or later so will assume you are planning on staying in Canada. Staying in Canada once you enter won't put your sponsorship at risk so your reasoning won't work.

Reactions: Khanimran1979

Khanimran1979

Star Member
Jan 11, 2018
I would suggest that you not purchase any plane tickets because your chances of receiving a trv are quite low. CIC will assume that you will be applying for spousal sponsorship sooner or later so will assume you are planning on staying in Canada. Staying in Canada once you enter won't put your sponsorship at risk so your reasoning won't work.
So its mean we have to buy a ticket unless we have decision from cic, actually i just make booking and submit my reservation unpaid

Khanimran1979

Star Member
Jan 11, 2018
Hi,

-ties to home country
-Travel history
-Financial status

-medical insurance cert
-flight reservation
-Marriage Cert
-detailed itinerary.

The fees is only CAD100.

Goodluck..
So its required confirm buy the ticket or just reservation