+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Which documents need to be notarized?

canthai

Star Member
Jul 30, 2008
Hi guys,
I have all of our documents (Thai) for the PRV application and I was wondering if anyone knows which documents need to be notarized (translated with a legal seal/stamp). I know her birth certificate and household registry is required to be notarized along with our marriage certificate. I'm wondering if her high school diploma, University degree and our lease agreement need notarizing.

Is it alright for my wife and I to translate the lease agreement since we already have a letter from the manager of our apartment verifying we have been living there since May 2008? We also have rental and utility receipts (Thai mixed with English) for every month.

Thanks for any help!

canthai

frolic

Jul 21, 2008
Do you really want them to think any of your documents are less than perfect? Do you want that risk?

canthai

Star Member
Jul 30, 2008
frolic said:
Do you really want them to think any of your documents are less than perfect? Do you want that risk?
The reason I ask this is because to get a document notarized costs about 30$ per page (I called many translating companies in my area). I cannot afford these costs since I may have to notarize about 30 pages with everything that is in Thai. All that I asked in my thread was if I need to notarize ALL of my Thai documents into English. The reason this notarization is required is so that CIC can verify, legally, that all documents translated are done by a professionally designated translator. I'm pretty sure that not ALL need to be notarized since not all documents are as important when compared to our marriage certificate or her household registry paper which, by the way, are straight-forward to translate.

I don't understand why you would say 'less than perfect'? My wife and I are perfectly capable of translating Thai to English for some of the documents. She speaks perfect English.

Does anyone else have any positive suggestions for me and my wife? Maybe their own experiences with this can help.

frolic

Jul 21, 2008
The very first page of any of the region specific forms I have seen in Appendix A says...

"If your documents are not in English or French, send a notarized (certified) translation with a copy of the originals."

I would say your English is great, and your wife may have perfect English, but why would the Canadian Government trust someone who is applying to translate their OWN documents? That person would have a vested interest in making the documents say things in a good light and may not represent themselves 100% correctly. The CIC is more interested in verifying the documents are valid and true and that the translations are the same and they ask for the certified translations for that reason.

So I would say...if it is a document that they asked for get it notarized and don't cheap out. Make it perfect so to speak.

If it is just the proof of the relationship stuff, well then, maybe not. But hey, it's your future you are gambling with, not mine.

I personally had EVERYTHING translated and the only thing I didn't was some cellphone bills from a foreign company because well they were pretty much self-explanatory and I highlighted our numbers involved and they can see from my cellphone bill that it is my number. But that is some extra proof that I offered, not something that they specifically asked for.

thaihubbie

Sep 6, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Beijing
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-12-2010
File Transfer...
29-01-11
Med's Done....
12-11-2010
Passport Req..
29-01-2011
VISA ISSUED...
11-03-2011
Canthai,
I understand your frustration and your concerns are legitimate. It would cost so much money to translate EVERYTHING. That being said, maybe you could A) get someone in Canada to call CIC and find out if you need to translate everything, or B) negotiate a deal with the translation company whereby your wife does the translating and then pay them a fee to put their 'notarized' stamp on it.
Let us all know what you do,
good luck

canthai

Star Member
Jul 30, 2008
frolic said:
The very first page of any of the region specific forms I have seen in Appendix A says...

"If your documents are not in English or French, send a notarized (certified) translation with a copy of the originals."
frolic,
Thank you for your response as I did not see this at the top of the page for the checklists. That is why I asked, in my first thread, as I was uncertain but this part of your reply explains what I needed to know.

thaihubbie,
Thank you for your understanding. Money is tight these days so we are trying to figure this out. I appreciate your words and thank you for your suggestions.

frolic

Jul 21, 2008
Yes I am just trying to help too. Sorry if the "less than perfect" phrase was a bit over the top.

thaihubbie

Sep 6, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Beijing
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-12-2010
File Transfer...
29-01-11
Med's Done....
12-11-2010
Passport Req..
29-01-2011
VISA ISSUED...
11-03-2011
This is an old topic but anyone on this forum who has a personal experience sponsoring a Thai citizen, did you get all the documents notarized? Did it have to be with Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs or could it be notarized/certified by a private Translation company?

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
canthai said:
Hi guys,
I have all of our documents (Thai) for the PRV application and I was wondering if anyone knows which documents need to be notarized (translated with a legal seal/stamp). I know her birth certificate and household registry is required to be notarized along with our marriage certificate. I'm wondering if her high school diploma, University degree and our lease agreement need notarizing.

Is it alright for my wife and I to translate the lease agreement since we already have a letter from the manager of our apartment verifying we have been living there since May 2008? We also have rental and utility receipts (Thai mixed with English) for every month.
Basically, if it is an official document that CIC specifically requested (birth certificate, marriage certificate, etc.) get it translated professionally and notarized. Other things, such as additional proof you are adding to show you have a genuine relationship (like your lease), still has to be translated, but does not have to be notarized, and does not have to be professionally translated. Notarized would be better - you could maybe get someone to notarize your translations, to keep it cheaper - but not 100% necessary. You and your wife can translate things. What is necessary is that the translator (even if it is a friend or you) write a declaration stating their name, the language translated, and swearing that the translation is accurate.

thaihubbie

Sep 6, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Beijing
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-12-2010
File Transfer...
29-01-11
Med's Done....
12-11-2010
Passport Req..
29-01-2011
VISA ISSUED...
11-03-2011
In order to Sponsor my Thai husband I haven't read anywhere that we need to include our daughter's Thai birth certificate;translated and or notarized. So is this additional proof and if I have a translated copy of it NOT certified but also photocopies of her Canadian Citizenship(that was notarized at the Canadian Embassy and photocopy of her Canadian passport is this sufficient? or Do I need to have her Thai Birth Certificate Translation Certified too?

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Your daughter is already a Canadian citizen, so her birth certificate is really just additional proof that is not required. But on the other hand it is an official document. Maybe try just submitting a translated one, along with a copy of the Thai original and a letter from the translator.
Notarized is better; the only reason people try submitting non-notarized translations of the non-required things is the absurd expense. Usually they are accepted.