+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Which city to choose to settle in Canada???

shergill80

Jun 19, 2010
Melbourne
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-04- 2011
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
8.5 Bands
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
in Jan2014
Hi everyone,

I have recently got my PR approved for Canada and planning to move there in Jan 2014. I need some help to choose a place to move in Canada. I did some research and could see possibilities in BC (good weather) and ON (job opportunities) but couldn't zero down to any.

Currently I am in Melbourne(AUS) and based on weather here I was choosing Vancouver and its surrounding suburbs but heard a lot on this forum and other sites too that living costs and unemployment are quite high in BC. Is it the case, can anyone shed some light on settlement options in BC and also which city or suburb could be better to move.

2nd option is Burlington ON , I read a recent survey findings on MoneySense (link below) that rated Burlington as best city for new migrants. I am also keeping this option as I heard that ON has better job prospects and this city being closer to Toronto must be having some good options whereas could be cheaper for living being an outer suburb.
http://www.moneysense.ca/property/best-places-for-immigrants?gallery_page=10#gallery_top

Based on this can you please share some of your views and experiences.

Thanks for taking time to read this!!
??? ???

P.S. : I read a lot about Alberta but extreme weather conditions there are the main reason for not considering it.

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
I would settle in a city where you will have most chances of finding employment.
If you are bilingual try Ottawa since it is a bilingual city.
If you are an IT professional, Toronto has more opportunities.

Spaz

Sep 11, 2013
I live in Burlington for about 9 months now. I find this city is convenient and friendly. There're many organizations to help newcomers to settle in Canada.

Love this city!

KTT

Star Member
Jul 10, 2013
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-05-2010
Med's Request
07-06-2013
Med's Done....
27-06-2013
Passport Req..
submitted on 8th July 2013
Spaz said:
I live in Burlington for about 9 months now. I find this city is convenient and friendly. There're many organizations to help newcomers to settle in Canada.

Love this city!
Hi,

We are planning to land in Toronto in a months time. As you said there are organizations which help newcomers to settle, if its not much of a trouble to you, could you provide us with the details/websites of those organizations?

Thanks

MyCanadaPlan

Nov 5, 2013
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey shergill80,

It looks like you are taking the time to do in-depth research on which city is best for you, and considering many different factors - that is great.
Make sure that the research you conduct relates best to your personal situation. Employment prospects vary greatly across different regions depending on your sector. Also, most cities have settlement services for newcomers to Canada, but the best way to be successful is to prepare beforehand. I have a lot of experience helping employers across Canada with their labour market needs, so if you would like help conducting customized research for your particular situation, I invite you to get in touch with me.

Best wishes

Line.a

Champion Member
Nov 23, 2010
Denmark
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-V
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-02-13
AOR Received.
27-02-13
Med's Request
08-02-14
Med's Done....
15-03-14
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
Waived!
VISA ISSUED...
OWP: 25-02-14
LANDED..........
23-07-14
Calgary is very nice, I definitely like it here!

buliwyf

Star Member
Mar 27, 2013
It is a myth that the weather in Vancouver is "better" than other places in Canada. Yes, it is warmer compared to say, Edmonton hehe. But it's still definitely not "warm." Plus it rains more often there.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
buliwyf said:
It is a myth that the weather in Vancouver is "better" than other places in Canada. Yes, it is warmer compared to say, Edmonton hehe. But it's still definitely not "warm." Plus it rains more often there.
I prefer rain than snow. I just hate shoveling snow.

browntrout

Apr 20, 2013
Hong Kong
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong S.A.R
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-09-2013
AOR Received.
04-10-2013
File Transfer...
12-10-2013
Med's Done....
12-07-2013
Passport Req..
15-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
16-12-2013
LANDED..........
21-01-2014
steaky said:
I prefer rain than snow. I just hate shoveling snow.
+1

For Vancouver. Vancouver late spring, summer and early fall is just perfect, good air, clean and perfect temperature. Dont like dealing with snow either, but i would like it on December 22-26 :) Wintertime is more gloomy, foggy, but all in a cozy good almost lord of the rings kind of way.

NetMecca

Dec 12, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
14-07-2009
I would agree, weather is warmer in Vancouver. Winters are shorter (but lots of rain and little sunshine - which could be solved with Vita D supplements mostly). Very expensive to live.

Toronto best for work in most industries. Weather is not as good, summers are hot and winters are cold. (also known as a concrete jungle). Really big city, long commutes, high cost of living. For a decent life would probably require two incomes..

Calgary- Great for work also and cost of living lower than both the above cities. Weather is dreadful.

I live in Halifax (by choice). Depending on your industry work may be a problem, but the weather is pretty good, winters are fairly mild, and lifestyle is top notch.

I agree work opportunities should probably dictate where you settle. If you want to live in a specific city though, technically you already have status since your PR has been approved. Why not start the job hunt before you leave your home country. Get on the phone and get a job. Might find a job in the city of your choice.

Totally possible. I found a job (without status). Can be done. Make it possible for you to move to the right place sooner

Enjoy it, it is an adventure :)

bongcan

Dec 29, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo/Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-05-2010
Doc's Request.
04-11-2010
AOR Received.
23-05-2011
Med's Request
14-12-2012
Med's Done....
22-01-2013
Passport Req..
08-05-2013
VISA ISSUED...
23-05-2013
LANDED..........
24-07-2013
shergill80 said:
Hi everyone,

I have recently got my PR approved for Canada and planning to move there in Jan 2014. I need some help to choose a place to move in Canada. I did some research and could see possibilities in BC (good weather) and ON (job opportunities) but couldn't zero down to any.

Currently I am in Melbourne(AUS) and based on weather here I was choosing Vancouver and its surrounding suburbs but heard a lot on this forum and other sites too that living costs and unemployment are quite high in BC. Is it the case, can anyone shed some light on settlement options in BC and also which city or suburb could be better to move.

2nd option is Burlington ON , I read a recent survey findings on MoneySense (link below) that rated Burlington as best city for new migrants. I am also keeping this option as I heard that ON has better job prospects and this city being closer to Toronto must be having some good options whereas could be cheaper for living being an outer suburb.
http://www.moneysense.ca/property/best-places-for-immigrants?gallery_page=10#gallery_top

Based on this can you please share some of your views and experiences.

Thanks for taking time to read this!!
??? ???

P.S. : I read a lot about Alberta but extreme weather conditions there are the main reason for not considering it.
From your question, you seem to be pretty naive about Canada. I would say generally Toronto is your best bet but plan to get your own medical insurance for first 3 months waiting period. Since you seem to be a Social Worker, Manitoba/Saskatchewan seem to be better option to land job in your area. But it gets very cold in there. But unlike BC/On, you get MB/SK/AB medical coverage from Day 1. One note of caution thoigh. Toronto has a lot of competition and it will be tough to get a nicer job at first shot.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
I would add a few things.

Quebec specifically and Montreal to a little extent (being bigger and more diverse) has a strong impact of french language.

Montreal has one of the best metro / bus services to move around.

You definitely would have a great edge in finding work if you can speak french well.

Cost of living is cheaper as compared to Toronto or other major cities. But taxes are higher. Still like a driver's insurance may be 300 CAD in Toronto for an experienced driver vs may be a 100 in Montreal. Rents are lower too.

But it is said that generally jobs are relatively low paid. I don't have first hand experience of this, since i work in IT and moved to Montreal being given choice between Gatineau / Ottawa and Montreal on a work permit.

So i have no experience looking for a job.

Down town is a bit expensive but there are suburbs with markets and easy access via Train / Metro to downtown and still pretty good over all to live in. If you don't know french, stick to the West Island i.e. west of Saint Laurene Boulevard. Almost every one speaks english in that part.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
bongcan said:
Since you seem to be a Social Worker, Manitoba/Saskatchewan seem to be better option to land job in your area. But it gets very cold in there.
You will have a better chance of getting a job as a Social Worker in Manitoba, if you are bilingual. There are many francophone communities there, such that bilingual people tend to get preferential treatment for public service jobs.

donwin4real

Dec 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-04-2011
AOR Received.
23-05-2011