+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Which citizenship office should I apply?

addictive_mate

Dec 7, 2009
Hi Guys,

I live in Toronto but recently secured a contract job in Montreal. I will be applying for citizenship in coming months. All my id proof docs still point to my ON address(I still have family living there). I don't want to change those since this is a contract role which ends in 4-5 months(might be extended but not sure yet). I have a copy of my employment contract. Also, I have a lease agreement with Montreal address on it. These days, most of time I stay in Montreal for work.

My question is, what should I use my correspondence address as? Montreal or Toronto? Please guide!The only address proof I have in Montreal is lease agreement. I can change my bank account/credit card details with my new Montreal address if you suggest?

Thanks!

Natan

May 22, 2015
Hi Guys,

I live in Toronto but recently secured a contract job in Montreal. I will be applying for citizenship in coming months. All my id proof docs still point to my ON address(I still have family living there). I don't want to change those since this is a contract role which ends in 4-5 months(might be extended but not sure yet). I have a copy of my employment contract. Also, I have a lease agreement with Montreal address on it. These days, most of time I stay in Montreal for work.

My question is, what should I use my correspondence address as? Montreal or Toronto? Please guide!The only address proof I have in Montreal is lease agreement. I can change my bank account/credit card details with my new Montreal address if you suggest?

Thanks!
Use your Montreal address as your current address. You may use your Toronto address as your mailing address -- this way, even if you move, you should still receive any correspondence. (If you move, be sure to update IRCC with your new physical address, as they may send correspondence to your physical address instead of your mailing address.)

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I would say to use your official, permanent address, not the temporary one. Of course, that means that when you have to go for the test, etc., you would have to return to Toronto.

There is a place on the application to list a "home address" (Toronto) and a "mailing address" (Montreal), so you can list both. (You may also want to attach a letter explaining the situation.) Of course, you would have to be sure to change your mailing address with IRCC as soon as you leave Montreal, and there is a chance that mail will still go that address when you're no longer there.