05-07-2011
Passport Req..
06-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-10-2011
LANDED..........
20-10-2011
rhcohen2014 said:
sending me a bank statement for my proof of residence. I requested it in SEPTEMBER, and for some reason it was never sent in October, and they can't force send anything. Now i have to wait until tomorrow for it to get sent out. i have my doubts about it frankly.

oh and don't even get me started about the phone banking security they have. ridiculous information they were requiring me to know without a bank statement. i seriously felt like i was taking a freaking history exam about my life and times with TD bank. and then, when i called a second time and "offered" the information before they aske for it, they said they couldn't use the info because i offered it up before they asked for it. it was just a *censored word* show all around.

if i don't get my bank statement in 7-10 days, i'm shutting it down and going elsewhere!
You can't get it online and print out the statement?

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
Bargeld said:
You can't get it online and print out the statement?
nope... in ontario, to prove residence for OHIP, it MUST be a mailed statement to show i actually received it at the residence i am claiming. They are very strict about the guidelines. a print out or even something stamped by a local branch doesn't count. and i'm not on the uitlity bill yet either, even though my husband is *suppose* to be taking care of that for back up.

Bargeld

Sep 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-05-2011
AOR Received.
14-07-2011
File Transfer...
05-07-2011
Passport Req..
06-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-10-2011
LANDED..........
20-10-2011
rhcohen2014 said:
nope... in ontario, to prove residence for OHIP, it MUST be a mailed statement to show i actually received it at the residence i am claiming. They are very strict about the guidelines. a print out or even something stamped by a local branch doesn't count. and i'm not on the uitlity bill yet either, even though my husband is *suppose* to be taking care of that for back up.
Well, we got OHIP like 3 years ago, and we went into the TD branch physically to get an account statement (don't know the technical bank-based wording), signed/stamped by a branch manager, that had my name on the account as well, and that was sufficient for Service Ontario. Maybe they changed.

(I just edited my sig too, since last I modified it, the forum owner changed the dimension requirements for sig images, so I had to split it into two to add the citizenship part)

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
Bargeld said:
Well, we got OHIP like 3 years ago, and we went into the TD branch physically to get an account statement (don't know the technical bank-based wording), signed/stamped by a branch manager, that had my name on the account as well, and that was sufficient for Service Ontario. Maybe they changed.

(I just edited my sig too, since last I modified it, they've changed the dimension requirements for images, so I had to split it into two)
yeah they must have changed it, because i know for a fact that will not work. someone else tried doing that in the same city i'm in and got turned away twice. *technically* it doesn't prove residency. It only proves that's the address i gave the bank where as getting it in the mail *proves* i am using a local address as a residence. it HAS to be what's written on the list, they won't take any exceptions.

Bargeld

Sep 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-05-2011
AOR Received.
14-07-2011
File Transfer...
05-07-2011
Passport Req..
06-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-10-2011
LANDED..........
20-10-2011
rhcohen2014 said:
yeah they must have changed it, because i know for a fact that will not work. someone else tried doing that in the same city i'm in and got turned away. *technically* it doesn't prove residency. It only proves that's the address i gave the bank where as getting it in the mail *proves* i am using a local address as a residence. it HAS to be what's written on the list, they won't take any exceptions.
Yeah I remember it, they treated their "list" like it was some holy book. Of course, looks like they just got more religious about it. :(

I'd go down to TD and raise hell though. No reason why you can't get things moving. We've not experienced that type of delay from TD, but I do know in Canada things are a bit more.. lax, than the US, so sometimes for any company it takes going down there and shaking your fist at them to get them off their asses.

Even though the hours suck, I'd get a Scotia account in my own name (fully knowing their branch hours are much worse than TD's), but I'm waiting to renounce US citizenship first before bothering. Don't need the US government sniffing around in my foreign accounts.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
Bargeld said:
Yeah I remember it, they treated their "list" like it was some holy book. Of course, looks like they just got more religious about it. :(

I'd go down to TD and raise hell though. No reason why you can't get things moving. We've not experienced that type of delay from TD, but I do know in Canada things are a bit more.. lax, than the US, so sometimes for any company it takes going down there and shaking your fist at them to get them off their asses.
oh i've been there multiple times and it certainly wasn't pretty. they basically couldn't tell me why it wasn't sent and seemed just as confused. they didn't even tell ME when they send out statements, they acted like they didn't know. my husband happened to call the day before i went down and *forgot* to tell me what they told him. nothing to do until tomorrow when statements are sent out. they will be able to confirm anytime after that if it was actually sent.

Bargeld

Sep 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-05-2011
AOR Received.
14-07-2011
File Transfer...
05-07-2011
Passport Req..
06-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-10-2011
LANDED..........
20-10-2011
rhcohen2014 said:
oh i've been there multiple times and it certainly wasn't pretty. they basically couldn't tell me why it wasn't sent and seemed just as confused. they didn't even tell ME when they send out statements, they acted like they didn't know. my husband happened to call the day before i went down and *forgot* to tell me what they told him. nothing to do until tomorrow when statements are sent out. they will be able to confirm anytime after that if it was actually sent.
LOL

That's bad.

Honestly though, I would expect this from any bank.

amro375

Star Member
Nov 3, 2014
Here is my opinion:

Most of the time you will use web banking therefore no need to go to branches.

From branch perspective and hours of operation TD is number 1. No matter where you live there should be TD nearby.
Also I find that TD is very good on giving you good credit card. Whereas other banks will approve you 500$ TD will give you 1500.
I went to apply to credit card at TD and I was hoping for 1000$ and they told me that I was approved 5000$ which is nice,

Another thing, I think june-july every year TD has promotion so if you open account with them you get Samsung note phone.

From cost perspective, RBS is the best ... but the account that in RBC is 10$ montly in other banks is 15$ so 5$ should not make any difference

I would suggest everyone get PC as it is free... but customer service sucks... but you get what you paid for.

Scotia Bank owns cineplex cinema so when you buy once cinema ticket with their card you get enough points to get another ticket for free.

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
amro375 said:
Here is my opinion:

Most of the time you will use web banking therefore no need to go to branches.

From branch perspective and hours of operation TD is number 1. No matter where you live there should be TD nearby.
Also I find that TD is very good on giving you good credit card. Whereas other banks will approve you 500$ TD will give you 1500.
I went to apply to credit card at TD and I was hoping for 1000$ and they told me that I was approved 5000$ which is nice,
I had opposite experience. I was stuck with $500 VISA limit from TD for 5 years (for the entire period of my being an Int'l student and then on WP). On the contrary, CIBC increased constantly up to $8000 by the time I got my PR. But I don't have anything else with CIBC whereas TD is my primary bank. Things changed though after I got my PR (it didn't change much either after I graduated and went on working full-time).

amro375

Star Member
Nov 3, 2014
Rossei said:
I had opposite experience. I was stuck with $500 VISA limit from TD for 5 years (for the entire period of my being an Int'l student and then on WP). On the contrary, CIBC increased constantly up to $8000 by the time I got my PR. But I don't have anything else with CIBC whereas TD is my primary bank. Things changed though after I got my PR (it didn't change much either after I graduated and went on working full-time).
That is interesting.
I guess it is case sensitive. But also you have to take into account the fact that I come here as temporary worker so once I opened my account I have constant salary on it, and only after 6 months of the initial opening, when I already have +10K savings I asked TD for credit card and they told me I am approved.

I know many people who say Scotiabank is very hard to increase your credit card limit but did not know anything about CIBC. Your post now makes me think to open account there...

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
amro375 said:
That is interesting.
I guess it is case sensitive. But also you have to take into account the fact that I come here as temporary worker so once I opened my account I have constant salary on it, and only after 6 months of the initial opening, when I already have +10K savings I asked TD for credit card and they told me I am approved.

I know many people who say Scotiabank is very hard to increase your credit card limit but did not know anything about CIBC. Your post now makes me think to open account there...
O Yes! I have/had credits from TD, MBNA, CIBC, RBC, CapitalOne and BMO (through work). Out of all, CIBC was the best in credit limit, limit increase and upgrades. I didn't have constant salary but I worked full-time as a co-op for 24 months in total out of my 5 year study period. It didn't impress TD. Then, I worked full-time for more than a year till I became a PR. TD didn't offer anything till then. There were times I wanted to switch my primary bank; just didn't take the hassle to do so.

In fact, I had to upgrade my account to Select Service to have line of credit etc. from TD. When I went to them for house mortgage last year, they only reduced the interest rate by 0.1% whereas BMO reduced by 0.3% from the stated rate on web. I didn't do any banking with BMO other than having a corporate credit card.

wan2no

Jan 20, 2012
I found tangerine most convenient as no fee and can operate in any Scotia atm booth. Again,Open your first Tangerine Account with at least $100 deposit using this Orange Key 47191093S1 and get $50!I checked it works great for me!

tahminaml

Oct 19, 2015
Dhaka
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
28-03-2017
AOR Received.
28-03-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront 11.02.17
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
18-03-2017
Passport Req..
10-07-2017
VISA ISSUED...
19-09-2017
LANDED..........
03-03-2018
which one good is currently? is it still TD?

emceemouli

Aug 7, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have both TD and Scotia and I landed in 2011. Scotia's startup program was wonderful and they gave me a house mortgage loan in a year. For TD, I have to wait 3 yrs to get a mortgage....once you establish your credit history, you can increase your credit limit easily...in 6 yrs, I have enough credit cards with unlimited credits....Scotia also gives you line of credits based on your credit history....