+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Which application?

S.Stevens

Jun 16, 2010
Hello,

I have a few questions regarding the applications for PR in Canada. I'm not sure if the search overload mushed my brain, so I'm not thinking well, but I really wanted to make sure I understood everything 100%.

I've been researching Canada PR for a few years now. My fiance finally proposed and we plan and starting this process really soon.

On the CIC site, it lists two applications. One "If your spouse, partner or accompanying dependent child lives with you in Canada" or "If your spouse, partner or dependent child lives abroad." I live in the US. I know the one I would need to fill out is the second one. But my question is, is that still true if I want to get a Temporary Residency and stay with him while waiting for the application? Silly question, I know. I just wanted to be 100% sure.

Thanks for answering such a simple question. I'm not sure why I was having second thoughts. Just wanted to be sure.

-Stephanie

S.Stevens

Jun 16, 2010
So... The one where I am living abroad, even if I am staying with him on a temporary residency? I'll be sending the application in Canada after our wedding.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
These applications are generally referred to as outland and inland.

If you are in Canada as a visitor when you apply, you can pick either one.

The pros and cons are the following:

Outland through the US is faster than inland. You can expect your PR in average 7-8 months. Since your 6 months visit status would be expired by then, you should make sure that you apply to extend your visit status when you still have a month left. Since it takes 2-3 months to process the extension, you would be on implied status until you hear back but generally they tend to allow you to stay if you are being sponsored for your PR. If an interview is required for outland, you would have to go to the US for it.

Inland takes longer than outland. It may take a year to 18 months to get your PR but it does allow you the option of an open work permit after your first stage approval. If you pick inland, it would be best to send in your inland application along with your request for open work permit on first stage approval and extension of visit visa so that all of them are tied together in the system. First stage approval generally takes 6-7 months. The downside with inland is that you are not advised to travel outside Canada while your case is being processed because it is a prerequisite to inland that you live in Canada and in the case you left Canada and were denied entry to get back for some reason then your application would be out the window as well as all your waiting time. There is another downside to inland which is that in the case they had questions about your application and wanted an interview, you would not get first stage approval. Instead your file would be sent to your local office for the interview and would wait there until they have time for it. This can take a year or two or even three depending on how busy they are and in the meantime you are stuck in Canada with no health care and no work permit.

S.Stevens

Jun 16, 2010
Thank you very much Leon.

I chose the outland application, which seems to be the best option. I noticed it asked on that application if I lived with my sponsor. I assume I would write yes, since I will be staying with him?

I really appreciate all the information you have given me.