Interview........
Waived I think....
Passport Req..
25-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
28-01-2014
LANDED..........
11-02-2014
Hi - i have received the Open WP visa (part of PNP Ontario program) and awaiting PR processing in NDVO, India. I have heard that once PR processing reaches the last stage, i will be asked for the passports of all family members. Now, the issue is - i am planning to leave to Canada in a month's time and i may take my family also with me. If all of us are there in Canada, and then if CHC, New Delhi asks for the passports for PR stamping, how do we send it from Canada??

I dont know, why they made this process so complex. Ideally, the Toronto CIC office should do it in Canada itself. How do i solve this issue? If i decide to travel in PR, then i need to wait, dont know how long it will take with this PAFSO strike going on.

Didnt they think, while giving this Open WP option - how will a person send back the passport if he reaches Canada. Best would be - they should give some PR cards (like credit cards), instead of asking the Passports.

pls advise, if anyone has gone thru Open WP while waiting for PR processing back hom.

Thanks.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
You don't become PR until you "land". The passports are needed to place a visa in them for travel.

Only after you "land" will you be provided with a PR card, some weeks afterwards.

When you become PR, your work permits are cancelled if I have understood the process correctly.

Does this help with your question?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Most people just mail their passports but you happen to be from India and that is one of the few countries that doesn't allow you to mail them to or from India.

In order to get your passports to India, you have a couple of options. You could mail them anyway even if it is forbidden but mail them to a relative so they can send them to the embassy and the embassy can send them back to your relative who will mail them back to you. Another option, use a courier service like FedEx, UPS or DHL to take them instead of mail but do not tell the courier that they are passports or they may refuse to take them. Another option, get someone you know to take the passports to India. Works well if you know someone who is going anyway. Yet another option, take them yourself but then you will be without a passport so you will have to wait in India until you get them back. One more option, get your spouse or somebody else from your family to go if you can't do it yourself.

vineethere

Jun 4, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
27-09-2012
AOR Received.
07-03-2013
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
File Transfer...
25-06-2013
Med's Request
25-11-2013
Med's Done....
05-12-2013
Interview........
Waived I think....
Passport Req..
25-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
28-01-2014
LANDED..........
11-02-2014
Thanks a lot both of you!

So, lets say - i stay back in Canada and send the passport thru some means to India. I am w/o a passport for those few days/months when my passport is in CHC, India. I mean, is this a good position to be in (in a foreign country without a passport)??

I am surprised they didnt think through this scenario!

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
It is a suboptimal situation. However you only have two choices.
Stay without the passport or go with it and stay there.

CIC is well aware of the problem but there really is no easy solution as it's India that has set the "no passport through the mail" rule.

vineethere

Jun 4, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
27-09-2012
AOR Received.
07-03-2013
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
25-06-2013
Med's Request
25-11-2013
Med's Done....
05-12-2013
Interview........
Waived I think....
Passport Req..
25-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
28-01-2014
LANDED..........
11-02-2014
Somehow, i feel the best option is to go yourself back to India. Send all passport sback to embassy, wait and get them in India and travel back with the PR visas stamped, as I understand, you have to reenter Canada with the PR visas for them to take effect and get PR card few weeks back as Zardoz said.

Well, i dont mind going back, but what if i am working in a company (which obvisouly i would)? Will that company grant me indefinite days leave? My kids studying school. what will happen to the classes? may be, i can plan duiring their vacation.

Jeez - its so messy. :-\ :mad:

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The only people who have a problem is India because India has that law. That is unfortunate for you.

I think it is unlikely that a new employer will be so understanding as to allow you to take leave right away in order to return to India with your passports and wait for the embassy to stamp it. Looking at trackitt.com they seem to take at least 1-2 months to do that, in some cases longer so you could lose your job if you do this and your kids will be missing school.

If you do it by mail or by sending them with someone, it will be easy for you and your family to land once you get the passports. You can either flagpole at the US border or you can make an appointment to do it in the local CIC office. There is no problem staying in Canada without a passport. Just make photocopies before you send them away. If you are asked for it which probably wont happen, you can show the copy and say that it's at the visa office in New Delhi.

vineethere

Jun 4, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
27-09-2012
AOR Received.
07-03-2013
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
25-06-2013
Med's Request
25-11-2013
Med's Done....
05-12-2013
Interview........
Waived I think....
Passport Req..
25-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
28-01-2014
LANDED..........
11-02-2014
Thanks Leon. You are right! Another damn reason to leave this place! :mad:

Anyway, i visited Trackitt and many people do say that, though its illegal to send it via courier/post, but still some people have done it. Looks like, its based on Luck!! Also, i just read my passport's last page again. It says like this -"Passport should not be sent out of any country by post". Well, it says "Post", doesnt say "Courier"!! :D Can we bend this rule?

Also, when you say "flagpole", you mean - exiting and re-entering Canada.. correct? Can i and my family do this without leaving Canada? Can you little more elaborate on visiting the US border and appointment with local CIC office? How does it work actually?

Thanks again.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, you can send it via courier but if they ask what is in the package, just say "documents". If you say passports, you would risk that they refuse to take it. Have it delivered to a relative in India who can mail it to the visa office and the visa office will mail it back to the relative who will courier it back to Canada.

Flagpoling is when you drive to the border, cross over to the US and then come right back. You can do this even without a US visa because you will not enter the US. When you arrive at the US side, you just say that you do not want to enter because you came to re-enter Canada to conclude some immigration business. They may note that you arrived without a visa and were denied entry but then they will turn you around and send you back to Canada to land as a PR.

If you would rather land at the local CIC office, you would have to call the CIC call centre and ask to make an appointment at your local office. Getting an appointment can take a few weeks.

vineethere

Jun 4, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
27-09-2012
AOR Received.
07-03-2013
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
25-06-2013
Med's Request
25-11-2013
Med's Done....
05-12-2013
Interview........
Waived I think....
Passport Req..
25-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
28-01-2014
LANDED..........
11-02-2014
OK. Somehow, i feel the courier option looks viable. Ofcourse, i have not even started my journey. So, i will think about that when i reach the bridge. THanks for all the info, Leon. Much Appreciated bro! I will keep all info ready when time comes to use it.

Also, understood the flagpoling mechanism as well. Thank you for that. I and my wife have valid B1/B2 visas, so i guess we can work out something at the US border.

Have a great weekend! :)

vineethere

Jun 4, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
27-09-2012
AOR Received.
07-03-2013
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
25-06-2013
Med's Request
25-11-2013
Med's Done....
05-12-2013
Interview........
Waived I think....
Passport Req..
25-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
28-01-2014
LANDED..........
11-02-2014
Only issue is - lets say, i send it via courier and it reaches my relatives in india and they send it to CHC, Delhi. What if CHC wants a in-person Interview!! ?? (although a rare case, but if they want an interview, then i am busted becuase i am in Canada without passport and to travel back, i need the passport).

Good god!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
vineethere said:
Only issue is - lets say, i send it via courier and it reaches my relatives in india and they send it to CHC, Delhi. What if CHC wants a in-person Interview!! ?? (although a rare case, but if they want an interview, then i am busted becuase i am in Canada without passport and to travel back, i need the passport).

Good god!
If they want an interview, they will ask for it before the passport request. A passport request means they are ready to issue your visa. The most they might ask for would possibly be to update some documents if needed or to re-do medicals if they are about to expire.

vineethere

Jun 4, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
27-09-2012
AOR Received.
07-03-2013
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
25-06-2013
Med's Request
25-11-2013
Med's Done....
05-12-2013
Interview........
Waived I think....
Passport Req..
25-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
28-01-2014
LANDED..........
11-02-2014
OK. Understood.

Last question - a month back (June 2013), i received AOR from the CHC, New Delhi and they said I will hear from them within 6 months (I assume thats the time for PR processing). But, when i see the online application status at the cic.gc.ca website, it still says "Application received in March 2013". Shouldnt the status change to "in-process" or something? Any idea why is the status showing an old one when i am in AOR stage?

thanks.

vineethere

Jun 4, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
27-09-2012
AOR Received.
07-03-2013
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
25-06-2013
Med's Request
25-11-2013
Med's Done....
05-12-2013
Interview........
Waived I think....
Passport Req..
25-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
28-01-2014
LANDED..........
11-02-2014
Hi Leon - wanted to check with you as i am not getting a proper response in other posts.

I hold a valid Open WP visa in my passport (my Ontario PNP PR is in process). AFAIK, i can make the travel immesiately with the visa in my passport. Some people are telling that i require a TRV also other than the Work Visa. Is that true??

Doesnt make sense and little confused. My knowledge says - TRV is something that is stamped in the passport at the POE by a VO after asking few quesitons. TRV actually says how long can one stay in Canada from the day of landing. Is my understanding correct?

For eg., I may have a 2 yr Work Visa, but at the POE if the VO decides that he will give me only 1 yr stay, then i need to exit Canada on or before the completion of 1 yr. That is the TRV status.

What i am worried is - i booked my tickets for travel in Oct 2013 and now some ppl are saying a TRV is also required. Pls clarify. LIttle worrked. For me its not making sense.

THanks as usual, Leon.