+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Where's the best place to live in Alberta, Calgary?

c0ncept0ne

Sep 9, 2011
Hi, I am a newbie at this, can someone please tell me where is the best place to live in Alberta, Calgary?
Me and my wife can live temporarily. I would appreciate if people can give some guidance and information about the area and rental properties I can search for. I'd like to start proposing the people who already knows Alberta to tell us what's a nice neighborhood to look for a place to live, whats usually the price range. And what areas would they advice us to stay away from too.

newcomer

Dec 3, 2007
Middle East
Well though I m also very new to Calgary but as per my little knowledge SW and NW are considered as the best areas in calgary to live in all respects.

If you want to rent, you can find a good 2-3bedroom apartment/condo/townhouse for 900-1200$ ,depending upon the community and condition of the property.Try renfaster.ca for this purpose.

For buying the house atleast spend 6mnths to 1 year here ,roam around and then decide about the best place to buy your dreamhouse.

Hope it helps.

lyvly

Oct 31, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-08-2011
check if you are qualified to buy www.attainablehomescalgary.ca this is a project of mayor nenshie...

lyvly

Oct 31, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-08-2011
lyvly said:
check if you are qualified to buy www.attainablehomescalgary.ca this is a project of mayor nenshie...
NW and South r nice neighborhood...quiet expensiv too... if ull base cheaper price for renting,,that wud be d crowded NE..

Aquib

Apr 19, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
March 2010
AOR Received.
JULY 2010
IELTS Request
SUBMIT WITH APPLICATION
File Transfer...
FEB 2010
Med's Request
09 FEB 2012
Med's Done....
27 Feb 2012
Interview........
Medical received 12 March
Passport Req..
15 April 2012
VISA ISSUED...
30 April 2012
LANDED..........
Sep 18 2012 Shuker Allah.
lyvly said:
NW and South r nice neighborhood...quiet expensiv too... if ull base cheaper price for renting,,that wud be d crowded NE..
Hi, which area got Asian (indian and pak) population?

Aquib

Apr 19, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
March 2010
AOR Received.
JULY 2010
IELTS Request
SUBMIT WITH APPLICATION
File Transfer...
FEB 2010
Med's Request
09 FEB 2012
Med's Done....
27 Feb 2012
Interview........
Passport Req..
15 April 2012
VISA ISSUED...
30 April 2012
LANDED..........
calgary1 said:
NE quadrant of city has mostly south asian community.
What type population in NW and SW.

How far they from NE .

Any Idea of rent for 4 bed house ?

Please also tell me about good school for 5 year old child , which area should we prefer for that .

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This is what I found in google:

http://www.calgaryarea.com/mapfiles/northeastmap.htm

Distance from NW and SE etc., depends what communities in NE you talking about. For me, I'm wondering if Marlborough is a good one because there is a T&T supermarket and lots of shopping malls nearby.

For good schools, you can always check fraser institute for school rankings.

Aquib

Apr 19, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
March 2010
AOR Received.
JULY 2010
IELTS Request
SUBMIT WITH APPLICATION
File Transfer...
FEB 2010
Med's Request
09 FEB 2012
Med's Done....
27 Feb 2012
Interview........
Passport Req..
15 April 2012
VISA ISSUED...
30 April 2012
LANDED..........
steaky said:
This is what I found in google:

http://www.calgaryarea.com/mapfiles/northeastmap.htm

Distance from NW and SE etc., depends what communities in NE you talking about. For me, I'm wondering if Marlborough is a good one because there is a T&T supermarket and lots of shopping malls nearby.

For good schools, you can always check fraser institute for school rankings.
Thanks

Aquib

Apr 19, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
March 2010
AOR Received.
JULY 2010
IELTS Request
SUBMIT WITH APPLICATION
File Transfer...
FEB 2010
Med's Request
09 FEB 2012
Med's Done....
27 Feb 2012
Interview........
Passport Req..
15 April 2012
VISA ISSUED...
30 April 2012
LANDED..........
Aquib said:
On looking that map I too feel Marlborough may be best as its near to SE where majority of ind/Pak population live,
Can you please tell more about that area ?
Housing, schooling , ethnic origin of people living there and crime etc

newcomer

Dec 3, 2007
Middle East
Aquib said:
On looking that map I too feel Marlborough may be best as its near to SE where majority of ind/Pak population live,
Can you please tell more about that area ?
Housing, schooling , ethnic origin of people living there and crime etc
Hi,

North East is the quadrant where most of the desis live.Its a cheap location and home for almost all of lower income families ,unfortunately no good schools (it can be confirmed by Fraser institute ranking and doing some internet research) ,and crime rate is highest in Calgary(especially in some communities).Usually when you are roaming there ,it appears you are in any town/city of south east Asia.

NE could be the first option for anyone who is looking for a affordable housing initially and JUST want to stay close to desi community (which are the only two advantages of living in NE) but if you want to give good quality of life and education to your kids better live in SW,NW or even SE.

Hope it helps!

drmishty

May 23, 2012
calgary1 said:
NE quadrant of city has mostly south asian community.
Hi Calgary1,

I have read other posts of yours as well. You have always been very helpful.

Me and my husband are landing in Calgary on August2, 2012 and we have PR visas. We haven't been able to figure out a place to stay initially. An accommodation for initial couple of months would be very helpful. Really hoping to hear from you on this major concern. Please guide us.

yanworthy

Dec 19, 2014
From my experience, whan you have to choose in Alberta, there is not much options. But considert this - Calgary has rents as high as Vancouver, but Vancouver is way more cooler city. It depends on neighbourhood - of course, but generally there is not a big difference. But - in Vancouver, you do have sufficient public transit. In Calgary you do have the worst public transit on Earth. So if you get living somewhere more off downtown, you really need a car for every family member.

canadaforall

Champion Member
Aug 11, 2009
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30th January 2009
Doc's Request.
February .12 .2009
AOR Received.
30. 08.2009
IELTS Request
no
File Transfer...
Med's Request
march 27th 2012
Med's Done....
5 april 2012
Interview........
waved
Passport Req..
March 27th 2912
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
newcomer said:
Hi,

North East is the quadrant where most of the desis live.Its a cheap location and home for almost all of lower income families ,unfortunately no good schools (it can be confirmed by Fraser institute ranking and doing some internet research) ,and crime rate is highest in Calgary(especially in some communities).Usually when you are roaming there ,it appears you are in any town/city of south east Asia.

NE could be the first option for anyone who is looking for a affordable housing initially and JUST want to stay close to desi community (which are the only two advantages of living in NE) but if you want to give good quality of life and education to your kids better live in SW,NW or even SE.

Hope it helps!

Hi Friends,
I am canadaforall, speaking from experience. I arrived in 2013 and lived in the south Esat not far from Marlborough. My daughter was attending school there and i was working in the South west. My work mates told me why not move to the South west your child will have the best education and it will be closer to your work place.

Yes it was expensive and i took the challenge rented a house for 1800 it was a duplex and had room mates. When school started and after 4 months i could see a big difference inn the studying. There was home work coming home everyday whereas in the formal school there was just nothing. They went for summer school for a week and so many differences i could notice.

So all what has been said about Sw and Nw is not only theory it is exactly what is happening. School is 10 minutes away from my home and she is allowed to go by herself as it is safe, in the NE that will never happen never.

So all is a matter of choice now. I prefer to pay a little and be safe.

Hope it helps.

You can reach me at niomoubih@yahoo.co.uk

Canadaforall.

emiiuki

Dec 14, 2012
Novi Sad
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08/07/2014
Nomination.....
PER: 03.11.2014.
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
We are planning to settle in Calgary one day and I have a question about accomodation.
We have a girl and a boy, they are 6 and 4 now and will be a year older when we arrive. Considering the family structure is there some kind of rule according to which we must rent 3bedroom appartment instead of 2room.
Does anyone have experience with Boardwalk appartments company? Lakeview and Glamorgan, SW, are those nice areas?