+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Where to validate CoPR within Canada?

cowboy_bebop

Jan 8, 2014
hi everyone and Happy New Year 2014!

As Canadian Experience Worker Class applicant, I finally received both my passport with PR visa and the confirmation of permanent residence letter (CoPR) to validate by "landing" in Canada. I'm currently living in Canada close to Toronto as temporary worker (with work permit) and I would like to validate my CoPR ASAP. I know that the best way will be crossing the US/CA Border at Niagara/Buffalo but due to this extreme cold winter conditions for driving, I was wondering if there are alternative like going to an Aiport of Entry such Pearson Airport or any international one. Does anyone experience this recently (within the year 2013)? Would like your advice or comment if you experienced with similar situation.

Thanks in advance for your reply, advice and assistance. :)

Best

lpc19800

Champion Member
May 21, 2013
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 14 2013
AOR Received.
February 24 2013
Med's Request
November 13, 2013
Med's Done....
December 5, 2013
Interview........
Waived: RPRF requested: November 13, 2013
Passport Req..
Visa exempt
VISA ISSUED...
January 6, 2014
LANDED..........
January 29, 2014
you can go to the airport but only if you fly out of Canada and then fly in again - unless you actually have a trip you need to take, this can be kind of expensive.

the other option, which it should say on your CoPR letter, is that you can call the number on the letter to get an appointment at your nearest CIC office. This however can lead to long delays - I heard the St Clair location in GTA has a waiting time of 4 months.

Given you're relatively close to the border and given the weather is set to improve at the weekend, going to Niagara (or closeby) is going to be the best option.

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
lpc19800 said:
you can go to the airport but only if you fly out of Canada and then fly in again - unless you actually have a trip you need to take, this can be kind of expensive.

the other option, which it should say on your CoPR letter, is that you can call the number on the letter to get an appointment at your nearest CIC office. This however can lead to long delays - I heard the St Clair location in GTA has a waiting time of 4 months.

Given you're relatively close to the border and given the weather is set to improve at the weekend, going to Niagara (or closeby) is going to be the best option.
Second that. CIC office or wait for the weather to change. You can also look into crossing the line by bus.

cowboy_bebop

Jan 8, 2014
Thank you gentlemen for your prompt answers, I do believe that crossing the border at Niagara will be my best option and I will be waiting for the weather to smooth little more.

On that note and by your experience, what type of documents should be carried with me including the passport, CoPR letter and work permit? Should I bring with me other type of documents? extra-photos?

Thanks again for your helpful advices.

Best.

chesterbr

Feb 16, 2013
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-02-2013
Med's Request
18-11-2013
Med's Done....
03-12-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
08-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
07-01-2014
LANDED..........
25-01-2014
I'm also on the same boat: just got my CoPR and will likely go to Niagara this weekend.

Question: once I get there (will go by bus), can I cross the border walking, or do I need to take a bus/cab? Has anyone here done that in Niagara? Any tips/advice? Thank you!

kaytea

Star Member
Jan 21, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-03-2013
AOR Received.
14-05-2013
IELTS Request
sent with app
Med's Request
10-12-2013
Med's Done....
17-12-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
02-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
13-01-2014
LANDED..........
19-01-2014
chesterbr said:
I'm also on the same boat: just got my CoPR and will likely go to Niagara this weekend.

Question: once I get there (will go by bus), can I cross the border walking, or do I need to take a bus/cab? Has anyone here done that in Niagara? Any tips/advice? Thank you!
I just landed this weekend at rainbow bridge. there is a pedestrian side right next to the cars lane. walking to the us border takes about 7 minutes. i had no issues - just the strong wind

chesterbr

Feb 16, 2013
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-02-2013
Med's Request
18-11-2013
Med's Done....
03-12-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
08-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
07-01-2014
LANDED..........
25-01-2014
Thanks kaytea and everyone. Just to register here, I've successfully crossed the bridge to land (and spent a great time in Niagra - cold, but no crowds, being able to go anywhere without lines beats good weather for me :) ).

One thing worth mentioning: Even though I had an Arranged Employment Offer, the immigration officer needed either a proof of my current employment or a proof of funds - which I thought would only not be needed for an FSW with AEO, and did not have with me.

The (very polite and kind) officer gave me all the time I needed to figure out, and would accept pretty much anything from the company or the bank, even in digital form, so I used my phone to get to my company's payroll system and download a payment slip, which was deemed proof enough, so for all effects, I'm a permanent resident now! Cheers.

Camq

Star Member
Jan 2, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-2014
Doc's Request.
03-2015--PCC
AOR Received.
07-2014
Med's Request
01-2015
Passport Req..
10-2015
VISA ISSUED...
11-2015
LANDED..........
11-2015
do you needed a USA visa to Validate CoPR?

chesterbr

Feb 16, 2013
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-02-2013
Med's Request
18-11-2013
Med's Done....
03-12-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
08-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
07-01-2014
LANDED..........
25-01-2014
Technically yes - we crossed the bridge, went to the US (needing US visas at this point), then crossed back to Canada. *In theory*, you could leave and re-enter without doing the cross (as we went forth and back through the same side of the bridge), but I'm not sure if the frontier officer would allow you to land/re-enter that way (he asked whether we had returned from the USA, and only gave us the yellow slip and forwarded us to immigration after that question).

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Camq said:
do you needed a USA visa to Validate CoPR?
No, you don't need a US visa. When you get to US immigration, you can tell them that you are flagpoling to land as a PR in Canada. They will give you a slip of paper called an "adminstrative refusal" that you give to Canadian immigration.

wdnsdy

Jan 25, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
08-04-2013
Med's Request
17-01-2014
Med's Done....
24-01-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Visa Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
21-02-2014
LANDED..........
06-05-2014
chesterbr said:
Thanks kaytea and everyone. Just to register here, I've successfully crossed the bridge to land (and spent a great time in Niagra - cold, but no crowds, being able to go anywhere without lines beats good weather for me :) ).

One thing worth mentioning: Even though I had an Arranged Employment Offer, the immigration officer needed either a proof of my current employment or a proof of funds - which I thought would only not be needed for an FSW with AEO, and did not have with me.

The (very polite and kind) officer gave me all the time I needed to figure out, and would accept pretty much anything from the company or the bank, even in digital form, so I used my phone to get to my company's payroll system and download a payment slip, which was deemed proof enough, so for all effects, I'm a permanent resident now! Cheers.
I am in a similar position as well. I'm in Canada so I'd have to cross the border and come back.

Although my application process isn't completely finished (just submitted my medical exam), I'm starting to prepare myself for these procedures.

Any document you need/should have for the landing?

I'm assuming...;

- CoPR
- passport

and good to be prepared, so...

- current VISA
- confirmation of employment

CECFEB2013

Star Member
Mar 11, 2013
When I landed at Peace Bridge, they asked me Passports, COPR, current status documents (Work Permits - They wrote cancelled on work permits as I became PR and I don't need this any longer) and proof of address (I showed my driving licence).

They asked me if I'm still employed or not, I said yes, they did not ask for any proof of employment.

Looks like every one has a different experience, so it is better to carry all the documents to be on a safer side.

kaytea

Star Member
Jan 21, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-03-2013
AOR Received.
14-05-2013
IELTS Request
sent with app
Med's Request
10-12-2013
Med's Done....
17-12-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
02-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
13-01-2014
LANDED..........
19-01-2014
- passport
- COPR
- 50 cents (2 quarters) for the toll for crossing the bridge
- latest work permit
- proof of address (drivers license, bill, etc) -
- proof of employment - i wasnt asked for this, but apparently they asked others
- proof of funds - i wasnt asked for this, but apparently they asked others

wdnsdy

Jan 25, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
08-04-2013
Med's Request
17-01-2014
Med's Done....
24-01-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Visa Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
21-02-2014
LANDED..........
06-05-2014
CECFEB2013 said:
When I landed at Peace Bridge, they asked me Passports, COPR, current status documents (Work Permits - They wrote cancelled on work permits as I became PR and I don't need this any longer) and proof of address (I showed my driving licence).

They asked me if I'm still employed or not, I said yes, they did not ask for any proof of employment.

Looks like every one has a different experience, so it is better to carry all the documents to be on a safer side.
That's true. I think it's safe to carry all the documents. They're a bunch of paper anyways, it's not like it will be a burden!

Thank you for the information!

wdnsdy

Jan 25, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
08-04-2013
Med's Request
17-01-2014
Med's Done....
24-01-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Visa Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
21-02-2014
LANDED..........
06-05-2014
kaytea said:
- passport
- COPR
- 50 cents (2 quarters) for the toll for crossing the bridge
- latest work permit
- proof of address (drivers license, bill, etc) -
- proof of employment - i wasnt asked for this, but apparently they asked others
- proof of funds - i wasnt asked for this, but apparently they asked others
Thank you so much! This is great. Always good to be on the safe side.