+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Where to Stay in Toronto...

Berty3000

Star Member
Jan 17, 2017
Any suggestions, which are the better areas of Greater Toronto - in terms of public transport into down town, crime, amenities, general environment, things to do, for a single person? Any areas to avoid because they are rough?

Many thanks

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
Any suggestions, which are the better areas of Greater Toronto - in terms of public transport into down town, crime, amenities, general environment, things to do, for a single person? Any areas to avoid because they are rough?

Many thanks
Unfortunately, your question is much too broad to be answered. Toronto is a huge city and if you factor in the other cities comprising the Greater Toronto Area, this is even more so the case. Each of the cities has areas that are better and worse than others. For example, Mississauga has a couple of areas that are full of $5 million+ homes, and then has some areas that appeal to immigrants becuase they are highly ethnic with affordable housing. Similarly, Toronto itself has some amazing neighborhoods, and a fair number of neighborhoods that I would walk around in at night.

If you are single, I would advise living downtown. Depending on your tastes and personality, I'm sure you will find a neighborhood that you like.

Prax

Star Member
Dec 2, 2014
If you can afford, midtown (yonge/st.clair, yonge/eglinton, yonge/davisville) is a good option. Horborfront, Bloor, Yorkville are even better, but more expensive. It all depends on your affordability and also your preferences (crowded vs peaceful etc).Toronto is relatively a safer city. Most of the places are safer.

I suggest you to list all your preferences, so you will get a better advice.

Berty3000

Star Member
Jan 17, 2017
Thanks for the responses guys. I am single and in my 30s. Initially, I'd be happy to take a room a shared house or apartment, paying around 5-600cad as a rough estimate.

I dont necessarily want lively, noisy, busy, etc. I'd like to live somewhere safe, clean, relatively peaceful and attractive, but affordable. I'm happy not to be in the downtown but would like decent public transport links into downtown - ideally rails rather than bus. Somewhere that has a decent district centre with half decent bars and places to eat, a library, a park with exercise equipment (like pull ups bar) in it. I'd be content with a 30 min train ride into town, prvoiding it isn't stupidly expensive.

I'm not against living in or near down town in principle, providing it isn't insanely expensive and in a grim area. Although I see downtown more as a place to go into and then leave again afterwards, to somewhere that is a bit more relaxing - but maybe with a bit of hip, coolness in its own centre. A supermarket would be nice too. I won't necessarily get a car so being able to walk places (within a couple miles) would be nice.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
North York near Sheppard or finch subway stations
Yeah - agree that's probably one of the main areas to look based on your price range if you want to be close to transit. Not sure I would say these areas are especially hip or cool - but there are plenty of restaurants and bars. The kind of hip and cool you've described would be more Queen West or something like that (Roncesvalles, Annex). Great locations - but closer to downtown and will cost you more than the above areas.