+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Where to relinquish PR ?

TkNeo

Dec 7, 2009
I live in Minneapolis, Minnesota, US and want to go to a CIC to relinquish my PR. Does anyone know if i can do that at any CIC ?

I am thinking about going to NYC CIC.

TkNeo

Dec 7, 2009
b/c i dont meet residency obligations so effectively i am not a resident anymore...

and i want to visit Canada and cant get a tourist visa until i relinquish my PR

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If your PR card is still valid, you could just go to Canada and see if you get in. If they ask you how long you have stayed outside and determine that you have lost your PR, they should give you a chance to appeal it so they should let you in.

If you want to relinquish your PR, you can talk to the Canadian embassy where you are and ask them what you have to do.

kinagaki

Dec 12, 2009
In a similar situation, if I may ask for my wife..

I am a Canadian living/working in the US, my wife is accompanying me. She has a lapsed PR card. We plan to visit Canada during Christmas.

Given that we only plan to be there for 2 weeks, I thought that we could just drive up and get a tourist visa.
Is it correct that Canadian Immigration won't issue a tourist visa?

Since we don't plan to live in Canada, I figure that it doesn't warrant applying for a renewal of the PR card. In addition I figured that the Travel Document is for those who need to enter the country with the intention of staying because their PR card is either missing or lapsed.

Furthermore, don't they just take the PR card at the border if you don't meet the requirements?

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you are a Canadian citizen and she has been living with you she does meet the requirements to keep her PR.

I'd advise her to keep her PR and get a travel document if required. You never know what the future will bring, so it's best to keep your options open, and since she is with you she is one of the lucky few who can live away from Canada and still keep her PR.

Never give up a right or privilege unless you are forced to...

kinagaki said:
In a similar situation, if I may ask for my wife..

I am a Canadian living/working in the US, my wife is accompanying me. She has a lapsed PR card. We plan to visit Canada during Christmas.

Given that we only plan to be there for 2 weeks, I thought that we could just drive up and get a tourist visa.
Is it correct that Canadian Immigration won't issue a tourist visa?

Since we don't plan to live in Canada, I figure that it doesn't warrant applying for a renewal of the PR card. In addition I figured that the Travel Document is for those who need to enter the country with the intention of staying because their PR card is either missing or lapsed.

Furthermore, don't they just take the PR card at the border if you don't meet the requirements?

kinagaki

Dec 12, 2009
Thank you Karlshammar. Just to clarify, if we do attempt re-entry into Canada, immigration will revoke wife's PR privilege and card?

Therefore every time we plan to visit Canada, we will need a travel document? Else give up PR and go as a tourist? Given that we have family to visit, and that I have no intention of giving up my citizenship, I assume that this will have to be the way to go?

thanks in advance..

Karlshammar said:
If you are a Canadian citizen and she has been living with you she does meet the requirements to keep her PR.

I'd advise her to keep her PR and get a travel document if required. You never know what the future will bring, so it's best to keep your options open, and since she is with you she is one of the lucky few who can live away from Canada and still keep her PR.

Never give up a right or privilege unless you are forced to...

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Her card is already expired, so there is really nothing to revoke. She will still keep her PR status and all the privileges associated with it since she has lived with you, a Canadian citizen. They may take the card since it is expired if you show it to them, but that won't affect her status. There is no requirement to have a valid PR card to maintain your status.

You would need a travel document, unless you are driving to Canada. One way to resolve this would be for her to apply for a new PR card while inside Canada and then use that to travel back to Canada. PR cards are valid for 5 years.

There is no need for you to give up your citizenship, no matter which option you choose. Your citizenship and her PR status both give you the right of entry to Canada. The only conundrum is how she will prove her status if you travel there by commercial carrier (if you drive there is no issue and she can travel in without PR card or travel document).

kinagaki said:
Thank you Karlshammar. Just to clarify, if we do attempt re-entry into Canada, immigration will revoke wife's PR privilege and card?

Therefore every time we plan to visit Canada, we will need a travel document? Else give up PR and go as a tourist? Given that we have family to visit, and that I have no intention of giving up my citizenship, I assume that this will have to be the way to go?

thanks in advance..