+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Where do I turn in PR Card?

ucci0823

Mar 22, 2013
My PR card expires next Monday.
After obtaining the PR status in 2008, I was transferred to US after a few months.
Since two of my children are the university and graduate school students in Canada, I tried to visit them as often as possible; however, I could not fulfill the residency requirement.
So, before getting messy, I decided to turn in my PR status.

I tried to contact Consulate General of Canada in New York; however, they do not seem to have anyone taking in the card.
I will be leaving again for Japan next Friday. Can I go to Canadian Embassy in Tokyo to turn in the card and let them know I am surrendering the PR status?

I really appreciate it if someone can give me some guidance.
Thank you.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, if you don't meet the residency requirements, you should not have a problem renouncing your PR status. However, you can probably keep the card as a souvenir.

It would not get messy though if you didn't. It's not a crime or anything.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ucci0823 said:
My PR card expires next Monday.
After obtaining the PR status in 2008, I was transferred to US after a few months.
Since two of my children are the university and graduate school students in Canada, I tried to visit them as often as possible; however, I could not fulfill the residency requirement.
So, before getting messy, I decided to turn in my PR status.

I tried to contact Consulate General of Canada in New York; however, they do not seem to have anyone taking in the card.
I will be leaving again for Japan next Friday. Can I go to Canadian Embassy in Tokyo to turn in the card and let them know I am surrendering the PR status?

I really appreciate it if someone can give me some guidance.
Thank you.
How will you be visiting Canada once you no longer have PR? Do you have a greencard?

ucci0823

Mar 22, 2013
Msafiri said:
How will you be visiting Canada once you no longer have PR? Do you have a greencard?
I can come back as a visitor, right?
I have Japanese passport, no green card.

ucci0823

Mar 22, 2013
Leon said:
Yes, if you don't meet the residency requirements, you should not have a problem renouncing your PR status. However, you can probably keep the card as a souvenir.

It would not get messy though if you didn't. It's not a crime or anything.
Thank you.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, you can continue to enter as a visitor even if you renounce your PR.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ucci0823 said:
I can come back as a visitor, right?
I have Japanese passport, no green card.
You are a PR until:

1. You formally relinquish PR status at either a port of entry or at a Canadian diplomatic post abroad. You have to fill out some paperwork stating you know what you are doing.

2. You are found to not have met the Residence Obligation and reported then you do not appeal. Usually this is when a PR such as you has been outside Canada for more than 1095 days in 5 years, their PR Card expires and they apply for a Travel Document only to be refused by the visa post. An RO review however can be done at any time you interact with CIC/CBSA e.g. at port of entry, sponsorship, PR Card renewal etc.

If you are determined to give up your PR then go the visa post in Japan and fill out the relevant paperwork. Else next time you arrive in Canada tell the CBSA agent you want to sign away the PR. The issue thereafter is that of visiting Canada. A visitor is normally expected to leave Canada..by having acquired PR you have shown you have an intention to live in Canada. Visitor visa exempt nationals don't have as much of an issue so you should be ok with your Japanese passport. Expect questioning at the border though post PR relinquishment and make sure you have evidence of your ties outside Canada.

Think carefully on this...you may regret relinquishing PR...it may be better to try and get into Canada without being reported and stay for 3 years then apply for Citizenship. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't think he will be considered more likely to overstay because even though he had a PR at some point, he lost it due to not staying in Canada and hence he would might not be likely to overstay if he already lost his PR for not staying.

Do you want to keep your PR? Would you move to Canada now if you could? If that is the case, tie up your loose ends and go to Canada, you can because you are visa exempt. Tell the immigration officers anything you want. For example that you were transferred to the US because of your job and actually your days should be considered towards your PR residency requirements while you had that job. Tell them you will clear this with immigration when you apply to renew your PR card. If they let you in without reporting you, you can stay for 2 years straight in Canada without applying for anything and then you can apply to renew your PR card without a problem because you meet the residency obligation again.

However, if they do report you on entry for not meeting the requirements, you can appeal for your PR. It is possible that you will win the appeal if you were transferred outside Canada by a Canadian employer and you had at least 730 days combined working at that job and staying in Canada in the past 5 years. If you win the appeal, you keep your PR.

However, if you are not ready to live in Canada, there is no point in trying to save your PR as you would only lose it again later when you can not meet the residency obligation in the future. If that is the case, go ahead and renounce it.