+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Where am I at in the sponsorship process?

HollieO

Oct 14, 2017
Hi everyone,

I applied for common law sponsorship (inland) in early September. I'm the PA. My timeline of my application is in my signature, but I'm very confused where exactly I'm at in the application process - ECAS shows both my application as well as my sponsor's application as in progress. When I check the application I linked on GCKEY, this is what is being shown to me:

Application status
We are processing your application. We will send you a message when there is an update or if we need more information from you.

Application step Current status
Review of eligibility
Your application is in progress. We will send you a message when we start reviewing your eligibility.

Review of medical results
You passed the medical exam.

Review of additional documents
We do not need additional documents.

Interview
You do not need an interview. We will send you a message if this changes.

Biometrics
We do not need your fingerprints. We will send you a message if this changes.

Background check
We are processing your background check. We will send you a message if we need more information.

Final decision Your application is in progress. We will send you a message once the final decision has been made.

Would this mean that I'm in the background check stage? How long before my review of eligibility status changes? I'm almost 5 months in and maybe I'm interpreting it wrong but I feel like there is usually more progress made on the applications at this point than just a medical exam - at least SA, which hasn't even happened yet. I have heard that with my background check being in process, that would put me at IP2, but what is really throwing me off is the eligibility section as well as the fact there has been no updates or decisions made on the sponsor side of things.

Can anyone give me some insight?

Last edited:

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
you have passed the mid mark as you have completed medical and background check has started.

Review of eligibility
Your application is in progress. We will send you a message when we start reviewing your eligibility.

When eligibility assessment starts, you may be at the final stage......assume total processing time is 12 months

Reactions: Bahar Ali

Bahar Ali

Star Member
Dec 16, 2018
Hi everyone,

I applied for common law sponsorship (inland) in early September. I'm the PA. My timeline of my application is in my signature, but I'm very confused where exactly I'm at in the application process - ECAS shows both my application as well as my sponsor's application as in progress. When I check the application I linked on GCKEY, this is what is being shown to me:

Application status
We are processing your application. We will send you a message when there is an update or if we need more information from you.

Review of eligibility

Interview

Biometrics

Background check
We are processing your background check. We will send you a message if we need more information.

Final decision Your application is in progress. We will send you a message once the final decision has been made.

Would this mean that I'm in the background check stage? How long before my review of eligibility status changes? I'm almost 5 months in and maybe I'm interpreting it wrong but I feel like there is usually more progress made on the applications at this point than just a medical exam - at least SA, which hasn't even happened yet. I have heard that with my background check being in process, that would put me at IP2, but what is really throwing me off is the eligibility section as well as the fact there has been no updates or decisions made on the sponsor side of things.

same My status.

Vhan18

Star Member
Nov 24, 2018
Hi everyone,

Application status

Review of eligibility

Interview

Biometrics

Background check

Vhan18

Star Member
Nov 24, 2018
hi there i am inland sep 12 applicant , i have joined inland sep 2018 applications group. i suggest you join the group.i guess , as per 10 and 14 may applicants got their DM and AIP yesterday. we are going to get it in may end. please check may thread as well

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
hi there i am inland sep 12 applicant , i have joined inland sep 2018 applications group. i suggest you join the group.i guess , as per 10 and 14 may applicants got their DM and AIP yesterday. we are going to get it in may end. please check may thread as well
There is a ton of variability in accept times based on profile so it would be hard to sy that you will have AIP in May.