+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

When to travel to Canada after visa approval

sina_39

May 15, 2023
Hi.. When is the earliest we can travel to Canada after receiving the visa approval (student visa)?
My classes will commence on 5th September 2023. I am coming along with my husband and children. So how much time do we need in finding a place to stay? Also to find the schools for our children?

Thankyou.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi.. When is the earliest we can travel to Canada after receiving the visa approval (student visa)?
My classes will commence on 5th September 2023. I am coming along with my husband and children. So how much time do we need in finding a place to stay? Also to find the schools for our children?

Thankyou.
Congrats on your study permit! You can come 4-5 week prior. As for finding a place have you done any research for rentals? Depending on where you are living rentals are difficult to secure. Some look for many months before finding a place. As for schools, you register them in your local board where you are living. Assume your children have study permits too. Do they need before and after school care because waiting lists can be long too.

Last edited:

hs202

Nov 21, 2009
if financing is not an issue then do come in June so you have lovely summer to enjoy. Also people move around August Sep timeframe so you have more chances to find yourself a good accomodation. Also Sep fills up with students so going there couple months early and adjusting/more options for your accomodation hunt.

P.S Dont miss out on Canadian Summer

Reactions: sina_39

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
if financing is not an issue then do come in June so you have lovely summer to enjoy. Also people move around August Sep timeframe so you have more chances to find yourself a good accomodation. Also Sep fills up with students so going there couple months early and adjusting/more options for your accomodation hunt.

P.S Dont miss out on Canadian Summer
CBSA can deny entry if coming on a study permit that early especially with spouse and kids. Airline may not even let you board flight and may contact CBSA/IRCC and see if allowed to travel that early.

sina_39

May 15, 2023
Congrats on your study permit! You can come 4-5 week prior. As for finding a place have you done any research for rentals? Depending on where you are living rentals are difficult to secure. Some look for many months before finding a place. As for schools, you register them in your local board where you are living. Assume your children have study permits too. Do they need before and after school care because waiting lists can be long too.
Thank you so much for your response. Appreciate it.
Yes, I will plan my trip accordingly... As for finding a place, I've connected through this forum with a family in Canada who is also incidentally from my hometown in my country. They are offering a place where we can stay initially. So, hopefully, that will work until we find a rental. I hope the Immigration Officer will be OK with this arrangement, or do you think they would want to see me rent an Airbnb or hotel or so for the initial days?

My children have their own study permits and are in junior high or middle school grades. So they won't be needing before or after school care.

Last edited:

hs202

Nov 21, 2009
CBSA can deny entry if coming on a study permit that early especially with spouse and kids. Airline may not even let you board flight and may contact CBSA/IRCC and see if allowed to travel that early.
I cant say but I dont think that should be any issue. Coming 2 months early for settling should not be an issue. If law allows it (double check), no issues in my interpretation

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I cant say but I dont think that should be any issue. Coming 2 months early for settling should not be an issue. If law allows it (double check), no issues in my interpretation
You said June when classes start in September. That is not two months. Suggest mid July.

sina_39

May 15, 2023
Thank you so much for your response. Appreciate it.
Yes, I will plan my trip accordingly... As for finding a place, I've connected through this forum with a family in Canada who is also incidentally from my hometown in my country. They are offering a place where we can stay initially. So, hopefully, that will work until we find a rental. I hope the Immigration Officer will be OK with this arrangement, or do you think they would want to see me rent an Airbnb or hotel or so for the initial days?

My children have their own study permits and are in junior high or middle school grades. So they won't be needing before or after school care.
@Naturgrl ... what would you advise... would the Immigration Officer be OK with us staying at an acquaintance's place when we arrive in Canada? I mean, we could afford an Airbnb or hotel, but felt staying with the acquaintances could help, and their guidance could be helpful for those initial days. Lots of posts recommend staying in Airbnb or such.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
@Naturgrl ... what would you advise... would the Immigration Officer be OK with us staying at an acquaintance's place when we arrive in Canada? I mean, we could afford an Airbnb or hotel, but felt staying with the acquaintances could help, and their guidance could be helpful for those initial days. Lots of posts recommend staying in Airbnb or such.
You can stay wherever you want.