+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

When to start the LMO and WP renewal? Please help.

hunnyrabbit

Jul 23, 2011
Hi,

My PGWP is expiring in November 2012. I submitted application for PR at the end of December 2011. I think I wont hear back about the PR in time for my work permit expiry date. I know that i will have to ask my employer to apply for the LMO, and from reading some of the posts, it seems like it can take a while for the LMO to be approved. When should I start on the LMO and how many months before the pGWP's expiry date should I apply to extend my work permit? I'm worried about the timing and I dont want to leave Canada because I apply for the work permit renewal too soon or too late. Please help!! Thank you for your help!

terry2011

Dec 21, 2011
Hi,
I would advice you that you start LMO application at least 3 months before your current work permit expire, this is due to the long time process that is taking HRSC for LMO(14 weeks average), because if you submit the work permit renovation without LMO it will be denied, it is better you cover your back having the LMO. In my own experience, my employer applied for LMO on the last month previous my PGWP expired, so I submitted the renovation of the work permit without the LMO (in order to keep implied status meanwhile), expecting to have gotten soon, but in 2 months i got the letter from SC that WP was denied because no LMO, i had to stop working and waiting 1.5 months more for the result of the LMO and lost my status, so now, I got positive LMO but i have to restore my status and again pay for renovation of my work permit, I mean $350 extra ($200 for restoration + $150 work permit). I just want that you avoid to be in a such stress situation as I have been, and also not paying more, you can save $350 ;).