+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

When to renew PR card?

KF

May 5, 2008
Hi all,

I will appreciate if any help! I have been living in Toronto since August 2006 and my PR Card will expire on September 2008 which means that I am in my last 2 years of 5. My question is when can I renew my PR Card? Do I have to wait until right after I stayed 730 days, which will be very close to my PR expiration date then I can renew my PR Card or can I apply sometimes earlier, that's say a month or two prior than that?

Some says you can apply renewal as earlier as you can, but I guess that applies to those who has stayed at least 2 in 5 prior his/her renewal application. What about my case that I stay the last 2 of 5?

Thanks in advance!

KF

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
When you fill out your PR renewal application, you have to fill out how many days in the last 5 years (or if you have not been a PR for 5 years, since you became a PR) you were away from Canada. If it's more than 1095 days, you will have some serious explaining to do. If it's less, then you can apply, even before your card expires.

always

Jul 22, 2008
Hi Leon,

How about the change of status? My PR Card has my maiden name. Now that I'm married, do I need to change my name too? and how?

Thank you...

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, you should change your name too. Your PR card renewal application has a field to fill your former and current name and then you need to get a notarized copy of your name change certificate and send that in with your application.