+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

When to go to Canada?

ksd1995

Star Member
Aug 17, 2018
Hi as i have got my visa today for january intake study canada, now can i go to canada in first week of october? I think its okay many january intake students start going in october. Am i right?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi as i have got my visa today for january intake study canada, now can i go to canada in first week of october? I think its okay many january intake students start going in october. Am i right?
Sure - you can go at the start of October. However make sure you are able to demonstrate that you have enough additional money to support yourself for these extra months. Keep in mind that you cannot start working in Canada until you start your classes in January.

Reactions: Immstu

ksd1995

Star Member
Aug 17, 2018
Sure - you can go at the start of October. However make sure you are able to demonstrate that you have enough additional money to support yourself for these extra months. Keep in mind that you cannot start working in Canada until you start your classes in January.
Ya i m aware of this... Thanku :)

ksd1995

Star Member
Aug 17, 2018
However how to convince Officer that i can manage for these extra months? Like do i have to show extra funds? Isn't GIC enough for that?

neyb

Star Member
May 5, 2018
Congrats. Ur visa vl b having date stamped on it stating wt date/month u can enter canada though im sure u can go in oct.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
However how to convince Officer that i can manage for these extra months? Like do i have to show extra funds? Isn't GIC enough for that?
You need to show you have additional funds apart from the GIC. So no - the GIC is not enough. You will be in Canada for an extra three months and have to show how you will financially support yourself during this period. If you can't do that, the officer may be worried you are coming early to work illegally and this could cause problems at the border.

ksd1995

Star Member
Aug 17, 2018
You need to show you have additional funds apart from the GIC. So no - the GIC is not enough. You will be in Canada for an extra three months and have to show how you will financially support yourself during this period. If you can't do that, the officer may be worried you are coming early to work illegally and this could cause problems at the border.
Ohk.... If i will say that i will be living here at my relatives home and they will take care of me....will it be okay?

ksd1995

Star Member
Aug 17, 2018
Congrats. Ur visa vl b having date stamped on it stating wt date/month u can enter canada though im sure u can go in oct.
On visa stamp only date of issuance and expiry date is mentioned....date of issuance is 29 august i.e. today

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Ohk.... If i will say that i will be living here at my relatives home and they will take care of me....will it be okay?
Short answer is no. CBSA may still ask that you demonstrate funds. Coming the first week of October is very early. You will want to make sure you can show additional funds to avoid problems at the border. If CBSA is concerned about how early you are coming - there's always some chance they could turn you around and send you home. Make sure you have evidence of the additional funds. If you don't have additional funds, delay your arrival until late November / December.

ksd1995

Star Member
Aug 17, 2018
Short answer is no. CBSA may still ask that you demonstrate funds. Coming the first week of October is very early. You will want to make sure you can show additional funds to avoid problems at the border. If CBSA is concerned about how early you are coming - there's always some chance they could turn you around and send you home. Make sure you have evidence of the additional funds. If you don't have additional funds, delay your arrival until late November / December.
Okay....

ksd1995

Star Member
Aug 17, 2018
Thanks for detailed reply :)

neyb

Star Member
May 5, 2018
On visa stamp only date of issuance and expiry date is mentioned....date of issuance is 29 august i.e. today
To the left of expiry date, they might have stamped “date of d’emission” which will tell u the date from which u can enter canada legally.

M goin in mid nov frm delhi. Which colg/uni r u goin??

Krishna13

May 19, 2018
In order to avoid unnecessary questions at border, I would strongly suggest you to travel only 25-30 days before. Else be ready to face the consequences. I've heard many cases where Border officers DEPORT the students because they were not having strong reason behind travelling so early.

Also, many reputed Legal Immigration advisers also advise the same to travel just 25 or 30 days before, however, legally you could travel 3 months before the start date of your program but it is up to Border Officers to let you in or not. They are supposed to take the decision, if they allow you then only you can enter Canada.

Having got the Visa doesn't mean that you can now enter Canada, Visa is just a travel document not a permit. Border officer issues actual Study permit once student lands there. I would strongly recommend you to go in December. Rest your wish.. :)

Last edited: