+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

When to Apply open work permit

rosamae

Star Member
Sep 17, 2010
Hi,

My closed work permit is valid until year 2023. I already applied for PR and received AOR. Can I apply open work permit eventhough my existing closed permit is more than 4 months expiry?

NOC98

Champion Member
Mar 7, 2020
Category........
Other
BOWP requires that your wp is less than 4 months old before applying. Plus BOWP’s expiry is usually less than a year since it’s purpose is bridge your temporary status to a permanent one, so your closed work permit’s validity is longer. Kind of defeats the purpose of applying for a BOWP isn’t it?

Why would you want to get an open one if you already have an existing work permit that gives you a valid status in Canada?

Reactions: scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,

My closed work permit is valid until year 2023. I already applied for PR and received AOR. Can I apply open work permit eventhough my existing closed permit is more than 4 months expiry?
As said above, you can only apply for a BOWP if your work permit is expiring within 4 months. So unfortunately you don't qualify.

rosamae

Star Member
Sep 17, 2010
BOWP requires that your wp is less than 4 months old before applying. Plus BOWP’s expiry is usually less than a year since it’s purpose is bridge your temporary status to a permanent one, so your closed work permit’s validity is longer. Kind of defeats the purpose of applying for a BOWP isn’t it?

Why would you want to get an open one if you already have an existing work permit that gives you a valid status in Canada?
So I can apply to different employer. I only have limited hours in my current employer but cannot apply to other opportunities because of this closed permit. I don't earn much because of reduce hours hence need to have additional earnings.

NOC98

Champion Member
Mar 7, 2020
Category........
Other
So I can apply to different employer. I only have limited hours in my current employer but cannot apply to other opportunities because of this closed permit. I don't earn much because of reduce hours hence need to have additional earnings.
Unfortunately, that’s how it is. The only way I know how to convert a closed to an open wp is through BOWP. If you want to switch employers, you have to find someone willing to sponsor another closed work permit.

rosamae

Star Member
Sep 17, 2010
Unfortunately, that’s how it is. The only way I know how to convert a closed to an open wp is through BOWP. If you want to switch employers, you have to find someone willing to sponsor another closed work permit.
I will not switch employer, I will just add employer, maybe part time job so I can have 2 jobs to mend my expenditure. But I cannot do this because of closed permit, hence looking for ways on how to go about it. But seems nothing I can do right now but to wait. Sad fact is, it will take longer waiting time as EE is process longer than expected (6mos) now due to this pandemic......

NOC98

Champion Member
Mar 7, 2020
Category........
Other
I will not switch employer, I will just add employer, maybe part time job so I can have 2 jobs to mend my expenditure. But I cannot do this because of closed permit, hence looking for ways on how to go about it. But seems nothing I can do right now but to wait. Sad fact is, it will take longer waiting time as EE is process longer than expected (6mos) now due to this pandemic......
I see. You just have to wait for your PR, just pray it arrives soon. Some lucky applicants in January 2021 got their PR this month.