+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

When to apply for PRTD

NRTTokyo

Nov 23, 2023
I am particularly interested in the multi entry PRTD as I think it may be the best option I have given the situation that I am in. I have been living outside Canada with my common-law partner who is a Canadian citizen, for the past three years, which would satisfy the Residency Obligation requirement. My partner and I are not planning to go back to Canada for permanent residency anytime soon though intending to have occasional short visits to Canada the next few years.
My current permanent residency card expires in April 2024. I am a bit confused because on the IRCC website under Who should not apply for a PRTD, one of the Who shouldn’ts says “Permanent residents with a valid PR card in their possession.” Does this mean I would only be able to apply for PRTD after my PR card expires? Does anyone know if I can still apply for PRTD before my PR card expires?

CNP

Champion Member
Oct 26, 2018
I am particularly interested in the multi entry PRTD as I think it may be the best option I have given the situation that I am in. I have been living outside Canada with my common-law partner who is a Canadian citizen, for the past three years, which would satisfy the Residency Obligation requirement. My partner and I are not planning to go back to Canada for permanent residency anytime soon though intending to have occasional short visits to Canada the next few years.
My current permanent residency card expires in April 2024. I am a bit confused because on the IRCC website under Who should not apply for a PRTD, one of the Who shouldn’ts says “Permanent residents with a valid PR card in their possession.” Does this mean I would only be able to apply for PRTD after my PR card expires? Does anyone know if I can still apply for PRTD before my PR card expires?
That seems to be correct, you cannot apply for PRTD when you have a valid PR card

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
How much time did you spend living with your partner in Canada after you got PR? That can be one of the considerations when determining if you can count time in with a Canadian living abroad.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Similar to what @CNP observed, there is no provision for a PR in possession of a valid PR card to apply for a PR Travel Document. Moreover, generally a PR should NOT make a PR TD application UNTIL they are actually planning to travel to Canada.

Which, yes, poses the risk of significant inconvenience for a PR living abroad long term who might unexpectedly want or need to travel to Canada on short notice . . . noting that the longer a PR is abroad, the more the risk it will take a visa office longer to process the application and issue a PR TD.

Observations About Application for a multi-entry PR TD:

There is no distinct application for a multi-entry PR TD.

So, I am not sure what @canuck78 is referencing here:
If you want to travel to Canada to visit every once in a while applying for a multi-entry PRTD may be your best option.
It is common (has been for a number of years now) for IRCC to issue multi-entry PR TDs to SOME Permanent Residents who have applied for a PR TD. Not all. And the term of these can also vary, some being for just six months or a year, some valid for up to five years, but only until the same date as the PR's current passport expires.

I am not aware that there is any particular application a PR can make to specifically apply for or request such multi-entry Travel Documents.

So far as the anecdotal reporting goes, IRCC typically issues a multi-entry TD to PRs who are living abroad long term and who are clearly in compliance with the RO based on credit for time accompanying their Canadian citizen spouse, BUT NOT always. Not enough reports to illuminate why some are not issued the multi-entry TD.

In any event, the application to make is for a PR TD, after the current PR card expires, and generally no need to make this application until travel to Canada is planned or reasonably anticipated. IRCC will decide whether to issue a multi-entry TD and if so, it will also decide how long it is valid (up to five years, but no longer than current passport is valid).

Additional note: @canuck78 also appears to be referring to potential issues qualifying for the credit for time accompanying their Canadian citizen spouse. While there are situations in which problems getting this credit can arise, as long as you were settled and living in Canada with your citizen spouse prior to relocating outside Canada (that is, as long as it is readily apparent you are accompanying your citizen spouse abroad), that tangent is probably irrelevant, nothing to worry about.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
So far as the anecdotal reporting goes, IRCC typically issues a multi-entry TD to PRs who are living abroad long term and who are clearly in compliance with the RO based on credit for time accompanying their Canadian citizen spouse, BUT NOT always. Not enough reports to illuminate why some are not issued the multi-entry TD.

In any event, the application to make is for a PR TD, after the current PR card expires, and generally no need to make this application until travel to Canada is planned or reasonably anticipated. IRCC will decide whether to issue a multi-entry TD and if so, it will also decide how long it is valid (up to five years, but no longer than current passport is valid).
A question/comment: as far as I'm aware they don't issue single-entry PRTDs, but I may be wrong. (I also don't believe there is a way to 'request' a multi-entry PRTD.

There are two distinctions/qualifications to 'what if' they issue a multi-entry PRTD, however:
1) Validity period of the PRTD - obviously a five year multi-entry PRTD is a very different thing than a short-tenor one, like six months or a year.

2) A very important point: even if one gets a multi-entry PRTD, it doesn't necessarily mean it's a good idea to enter and leave - at least for those who have been granted PRTD while being out of compliance with RO. Or put more simply, a PRTD doesn't 'excuse' one being out of compliance, and using it to leave again may expose the holder to issues in future / on the second or subsequent re-entries.

For clarity, comment 2) here does NOT relate at all the the OP's situation, i.e. those whose time outside Canada while accompanying spouse has been deemed as 'counting' for RO purposes.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Correction: @canuck78 was correct, PRs can request IRCC to issue a multiple-entry PRTD (in a cover letter with the application).

A question/comment: as far as I'm aware they don't issue single-entry PRTDs, but I may be wrong. (I also don't believe there is a way to 'request' a multi-entry PRTD.
It is not clear that IRCC has discontinued issuing single-entry PR TDs. It would make sense. But the guide for the making a PR TD application, last updated (changed) just three weeks ago, still states:

"Usually, PRTD counterfoils are issued for a single entry to Canada."​

This is stated in the section "Before you apply;" the guide is here https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5529-applying-permanent-resident-travel-document.html

But looking at this I need to make a BIG CORRECTION. (Illustrating how important it is to periodically review IRCC information to keep up with changes.)

Contrary to what I previously commented, IRCC now specifically instructs that PRs living outside Canada on a long term-basis can request a long-term multiple entry PRTD . . . instructing them to "Include a cover letter that explains your circumstances and request a multiple-entry PRTD."

Here is what the current guide states about this:

Important information: If you are living outside Canada on a long-term basis, you can request a long-term multiple entry PRTD. Usually, PRTD counterfoils are issued for a single entry to Canada. However, you can request a long-term multiple entry PRTD if you:
- meet the residency obligation; and
- are living outside Canada on a long-term basis (for example, if you are a permanent resident accompanying your Canadian citizen spouse).
Include a cover letter that explains your circumstances and request a multiple entry PRTD.
Multiple entry PRTDs cannot extend beyond the expiry date of your passport.

So now I know precisely what @canuck78 was referencing, correctly stating that PRs living abroad (but complying with the RO of course) can request a multiple-entry PRTD.

Meanwhile there have been sufficient anecdotal reports of multiple-entry PRTDs issued for six months or a year to suggest that despite IRCC information still stating that the single-entry PRTD is what they "usually" issue, they may be transitioning toward implementing such multiple-entry PRTDs broadly, perhaps even on track to discontinue the single-entry version.

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Meanwhile there have been sufficient anecdotal reports of multiple-entry PRTDs issued for six months or a year to suggest that despite IRCC information still stating that the single-entry PRTD is what they "usually" issue, they may be transitioning toward implementing such multiple-entry PRTDs broadly, perhaps even on track to discontinue the single-entry version.
Probably this was what I was thinking of, that all the ones I've heard of/seen have been multi-entry.

[I think a parallel development overall is that CIC now IRCC have over long term moved to issuing fewer and fewer single-entry visas, of all types. Single entries just create extra work, extra decision points, extra overhead with little extra benefit to Canada as issuer, esp since - anecdotally - a large number of eg TRVs and other applicants want their docs multi-entry to do short trips to USA as part of North American travel. (Airlines have also been proponents of multi-entry - otherwise Canadian airlines can't possibly compete on long haul). Only class of applicants I'm aware that they don't like multi-entry for (apart from immigrant visas truly intended for single entry because they become PRs) are 'official visas' ... from unfriendly countries or other special circumstances. Otherwise, if they want to limit travel to Canada, they mainly just keep the tenor short.]

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Probably this was what I was thinking of, that all the ones I've heard of/seen have been multi-entry.

[I think a parallel development overall is that CIC now IRCC have over long term moved to issuing fewer and fewer single-entry visas, of all types. Single entries just create extra work, extra decision points, extra overhead with little extra benefit to Canada as issuer, esp since - anecdotally - a large number of eg TRVs and other applicants want their docs multi-entry to do short trips to USA as part of North American travel. (Airlines have also been proponents of multi-entry - otherwise Canadian airlines can't possibly compete on long haul). Only class of applicants I'm aware that they don't like multi-entry for (apart from immigrant visas truly intended for single entry because they become PRs) are 'official visas' ... from unfriendly countries or other special circumstances. Otherwise, if they want to limit travel to Canada, they mainly just keep the tenor short.]
While my sense is you are probably correct about the overall multiple-entry trend in regards to issuing documents authorizing entry into Canada, I do not follow Canada's immigration policies and practices generally (for more than a few years now my attention has been oriented to citizenship and maintaining PR status . . . so not even matters related to obtaining PR status), so I do not personally know this; it is not something I have discerned or inferred. But yeah, it makes sense.

The history of multiple-entry PRTDs goes back before 2015, but issuing these was considered "rare," and indeed back then anecdotal reports (in this and other forums), of being issued a multiple-entry PRTD, were nearly non-existent. The operational manual for Overseas Processing, Residency Status Determinations, OP 10 (last updated in 2015) describes, in the procedure for issuing the PRTD:
In most cases, the travel document is to be issued for a single entry with a validity of six months. Occasionally, there may be cases where a permanent resident of Canada is unable to apply for a permanent resident card due to their long-term residency abroad. In these rare cases, where a permanent resident is unable to apply for the card from within Canada because of the shortness of their occasional stays in Canada, a multiple entry travel document may be issued for a period of validity not exceeding five years.

It is rather obvious that these days it is not at all uncommon, let alone rare, for PRs to be living long-term outside Canada (mostly about those accompanying a Canadian citizen spouse).

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

While my sense is you are probably correct about the overall multiple-entry trend in regards to issuing documents authorizing entry into Canada, I do not follow Canada's immigration policies and practices generally (for more than a few years now my attention has been oriented to citizenship and maintaining PR status . . . so not even matters related to obtaining PR status), so I do not personally know this; it is not something I have discerned or inferred. But yeah, it makes sense.

The history of multiple-entry PRTDs goes back before 2015, but issuing these was considered "rare," and indeed back then anecdotal reports (in this and other forums), of being issued a multiple-entry PRTD, were nearly non-existent. The operational manual for Overseas Processing, Residency Status Determinations, OP 10 (last updated in 2015) describes, in the procedure for issuing the PRTD:
In most cases, the travel document is to be issued for a single entry with a validity of six months. Occasionally, there may be cases where a permanent resident of Canada is unable to apply for a permanent resident card due to their long-term residency abroad. In these rare cases, where a permanent resident is unable to apply for the card from within Canada because of the shortness of their occasional stays in Canada, a multiple entry travel document may be issued for a period of validity not exceeding five years.

It is rather obvious that these days it is not at all uncommon, let alone rare, for PRs to be living long-term outside Canada (mostly about those accompanying a Canadian citizen spouse).
Given that IRCC seems to be clamping down on making sure that PR card renewal applicants are in Canada when applying, spouses of PRs can easily apply for multiple entry PTRDs without having to come to Canada. They can use the multiple entry PRTDs to come for infrequent visits usually to visit family. Saves lots of trips to Canada to both apply and pick up PR cards.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Similar to what @CNP observed, there is no provision for a PR in possession of a valid PR card to apply for a PR Travel Document. Moreover, generally a PR should NOT make a PR TD application UNTIL they are actually planning to travel to Canada.

Which, yes, poses the risk of significant inconvenience for a PR living abroad long term who might unexpectedly want or need to travel to Canada on short notice . . . noting that the longer a PR is abroad, the more the risk it will take a visa office longer to process the application and issue a PR TD.

Observations About Application for a multi-entry PR TD:

There is no distinct application for a multi-entry PR TD.

So, I am not sure what @canuck78 is referencing here:

It is common (has been for a number of years now) for IRCC to issue multi-entry PR TDs to SOME Permanent Residents who have applied for a PR TD. Not all. And the term of these can also vary, some being for just six months or a year, some valid for up to five years, but only until the same date as the PR's current passport expires.

I am not aware that there is any particular application a PR can make to specifically apply for or request such multi-entry Travel Documents.

Additional note: @canuck78 also appears to be referring to potential issues qualifying for the credit for time accompanying their Canadian citizen spouse. While there are situations in which problems getting this credit can arise, as long as you were settled and living in Canada with your citizen spouse prior to relocating outside Canada (that is, as long as it is readily apparent you are accompanying your citizen spouse abroad), that tangent is probably irrelevant, nothing to worry about.
Given that this couple has spent at least 3 years abroad. It’s also important to know if this couple ever spent time together in Canada before leaving and where did they go. This can be a factor when it comes to both PRTD and PR card renewals.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Given that this couple has spent at least 3 years abroad. It’s also important to know if this couple ever spent time together in Canada before leaving and where did they go. This can be a factor when it comes to both PRTD and PR card renewals.
Perhaps it "can be a factor" is true, but here, where the OP landed at least as far back as early 2019 (nearly five years ago) and reports just being outside Canada for the last three years, there is no hint their situation is at all likely to raise who-accompanied-whom questions. As I noted, as long as the PR was settled and living in Canada with [their] citizen spouse prior to relocating outside Canada (that is, as long as it is readily apparent [the PR is] accompanying [their] citizen spouse abroad), that tangent is probably irrelevant, nothing to worry about.

Note: I probably should have referenced "common-law partner" rather than "spouse." I have an old and lingering habit of equating "spouses" and "common-law partners," given I have been in Canada since before the changes in law that seriously degraded the status of common-law partnerships (at least in Ontario; when I first came here, common-law partners had just about the same rights and status as formally married spouses). If there is some pitfall lurking for the OP, being sure to document the existence of the common-law relationship is perhaps what could be "important."

In regards to whether circumstances related to potential who-accompanied-whom questions are significant, let alone important, it warrants noting that there has been very little indication that IRCC is probing who-accompanied-whom questions EXCEPT in the most obvious, egregious, and rather blatant circumstances indicating a PR with virtually no actual in-Canada ties except their marital/common-law relationship with a citizen. There is no hint, even, that PRs settled in Canada before relocating abroad are the target of such concerns, so it may not be that significant (let alone important) how long the couple were together in Canada before moving abroad, as long as the PR was living in Canada before the move.

Given that IRCC seems to be clamping down on making sure that PR card renewal applicants are in Canada when applying, spouses of PRs can easily apply for multiple entry PTRDs without having to come to Canada. They can use the multiple entry PRTDs to come for infrequent visits usually to visit family. Saves lots of trips to Canada to both apply and pick up PR cards.
I think I understand the gist of these comments, and agree.

However, my sense is that a key factor underlying the trend to make it easier to obtain a long-term multiple-entry PRTD is that supports the purpose of granting PR status, facilitating easier travel to Canada and thus more and stronger ties to Canada.

Additionally, how easily the spouses of PRs can apply for multiple-entry PRTDs is not likely because IRCC is clamping down on making sure PR card applicants are in Canada when applying, but the other way around. That is, to the extent the two trends (clamping down on outside Canada PR card applications; facilitating easier issuance of multiple-entry PRTDs) are related, to the extent one is a causal factor, that is likely in the other direction: IRCC making it easier to obtain multiple-entry PRTDs to accommodate PRs living abroad long-term accompanying citizen spouses, given that IRCC has virtually shut the door on making PR card applications without being in Canada -- it more than "seems" that IRCC is clamping down, since the only way to make a PR card application while outside Canada, now, is to make a very material misrepresentation.

While how much this amounts to clamping down depends some on the extent to which IRCC is actually enforcing the change in the form, the risk involved in making the PR card application misrepresenting location at the time of making the application is plenty serious enough it most likely is having a big prophylactic impact. I am not sure it is a misrepresentation that could be grounds for inadmissibility and loss of PR status (I think this depends on whether it is considered a material misrepresentation in a procedure for obtaining entry into Canada), but it is such an easily established misrepresentation, there's no sense playing those odds.