+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

When to apply for PR Card Renewal

Lashari72

Jul 14, 2011
Hi,

I can't travel outside Canada till the renewal of my PR card because I have been outside Canada for 1088 days. I'll complete my minimum residency requirement days i.e. 730 days on Feb 21, 2012 and my Current PR card is expiring in March 2012. Now I am confused on when I should apply for the renewal of my PR card. I know that normal processing time for PR card renewal is 6-8 weeks but sometimes it takes longer. I need my new PR card in March /April 2012 as I have to travel outside Canada in March/ April 2012. Please advice when I should apply for the renewal of my PR card?
Thanks

Alabaman

Apr 24, 2009
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I assume you are still in your first 5 years of PR. If that is the case, you should be able to apply before your card expires... say 3 months before the expiration.

"If less than five (5) years, then you should be able to show that you will be able to meet the minimum of 730 days physical presence in Canada at the five (5)-year mark"

See the link: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5445EA.asp

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, they are supposed to renew it even if you don't have 730 days as long as you can still meet the 730 days before your first five years are up but that would increase the odds of being sent to residency questionnaire. It may be better to have the 730 days first and then apply but ask for it to be expedited. The processing time for a renew PR card is 128 days right now, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm-card.asp

Lashari72

Jul 14, 2011
Thanks very much for your kind advice.

Yes, I am on my first 5 Year PR card and I can meet the Residency requirements before its expiry. have few questions:

1-What is residency questionnaire and how it affect the renewal process?
2- What is the validity period for the second PR card i.e. 5 years or less

Thanks
:)

Alabaman

Apr 24, 2009
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. Residency questionaire is issued to you if you apply for renewal and they don't believe you. That is if they want more evidence.
2. Yes more than likely they give you another 5 years validity period.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As far as I know, PR cards are always issued for 5 years. The residency requirements after your first 5 years as a PR are 730 days in Canada in a rolling 5 year period so you must meet it for any 5 year window counting from any date.