+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

When to apply for Open Work Permit?

vivi8989

Sep 20, 2014
Hello,

I've applied to sponsor my husband into Canada. I'm a Canadian citizen by birth, and he is living in Canada with me now.

We haven't received any confirmation of our application for sponsorship yet (we submitted it 2 weeks ago). I'm wondering if it's too early for him to apply for an open work permit?

He has temporary resident status (with one renewal application submitted in July 2014, confirmation received Sept 2014, valid until Feb 2015).

Since his Tempoary Resident status has been valid since January, would it be ok to apply now? Since we are married.

The processing times for within Canada for PR are sooo long.

Please help, thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
He won't qualify for an open work permit until your inland application has first stage approval. First stage approval is currently taking 13 months to complete. Since your application has already been submitted, I believe the correct course of action is to wait until you have first stage approval in approximately a year and then apply.

vivi8989

Sep 20, 2014
But I thought he can be eligible for an open work permit since his temporary resident status is valid for a minimum of 6 months.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
This option is only available for Temporary Resident PERMIT (TRP) holders. What your husband has is a Temporary Resident VISA (TRV). TRPs are special permits that are quite difficult to get and are granted for those who would otherwise be inadmissible to Canada (typically due to a crime).

Since your husband is a TRV holder the six month rule unfortunately doesn't apply to him.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
vivi8989 said:
But I thought he can be eligible for an open work permit since his temporary resident status is valid for a minimum of 6 months.
You are thinking of a Temporary Resident Permit.

Your husband's Temporary Resident Status, sounds like nothing more than the typical `visit' authorization (6 months) that those from visa exempt countries are given, which you have simply extended.

scylla is correct; you now must wait for AIP...or find an employer willing to hire him and go through the LMIA (formerly LMO) process.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
vivi8989 said:
What's the chance it will take less than 13 months to be approved?
None of us can guess that unfortunately. The processing times for the first stage of the inland process do go up and down. But it's impossible to predict how long it will take for you.

You can keep track of how long it's taking using the following web page. If you scroll down to the middle of the page you'll see the the inland processing times where the current 13 month processing time is listed:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm-fc.asp

CIC will update this information as processing times increase / decrease.

khrisna

Sep 23, 2014
hi i think i have the same situation as yours , im in manitoba right now , my spouse and i got married here , i was adviced that i can apply her sponsorship application here together with the open work permit application, we received a response from cic this august informing us that they receive the application , but thats just it . until now we havent received any response yet and i dont know how to check the status . pls help

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
khrisna said:
hi i think i have the same situation as yours , im in manitoba right now , my spouse and i got married here , i was adviced that i can apply her sponsorship application here together with the open work permit application, we received a response from cic this august informing us that they receive the application , but thats just it . until now we havent received any response yet and i dont know how to check the status . pls help
When did you send in your application?

Did you in fact include the OWP application at the same time (sent in the same envelope)?

Since you have already heard from CIC (this sounds like it is your AOR), you won't hear anything more until you have reached the first stage approval (AIP) which will be many, many months from now.

khrisna

Sep 23, 2014
Ponga said:
When did you send in your application?

Did you in fact include the OWP application at the same time (sent in the same envelope)?

Since you have already heard from CIC (this sounds like it is your AOR), you won't hear anything more until you have reached the first stage approval (AIP) which will be many, many months from now.
i sent the owp same time i sent the sponsorship thats what to settlement facilitator advice me to do .

fugaziosbourne

Aug 8, 2014
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
01-10-2013
vivi8989 said:
You're more likely to have a bag of money fall out of the sky and land in your lap than the CIC processing your app in a reasonable amount of time. Good luck to you guys though.

Elena78

May 21, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-08-2014
AOR Received.
20-08-2014
vivi8989 said:
I doubt it will take less than 13 months. At the rate things are going I could see it possibly increasing in time. Its now just a waiting game. Welcome to our waiting club.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
vivi8989 said:
Hello,

I've applied to sponsor my husband into Canada. I'm a Canadian citizen by birth, and he is living in Canada with me now.

We haven't received any confirmation of our application for sponsorship yet (we submitted it 2 weeks ago). I'm wondering if it's too early for him to apply for an open work permit?

He has temporary resident status (with one renewal application submitted in July 2014, confirmation received Sept 2014, valid until Feb 2015).

Since his Tempoary Resident status has been valid since January, would it be ok to apply now? Since we are married.

The processing times for within Canada for PR are sooo long.

Please help, thanks!
What country is your husband from?

coolcham

Jun 12, 2019
Category........
PNP
Guys, I also have a questions of Closed work permit apply with my Spouse and 2 kids under AIP.
I received the WP support letter + Endorsement letter from province now it is time to apply for the Work permit for me and my wife and my 2 kids
questions below
1. Should I worry about home ties for my wife? as i have enough home ties back
2.Which visa category for my kids whom age 3 and 5 (I think it is Visit) ?
3.What would be Purpose of Travel under my wife? not sure what to mention since Im applying under AIP
4.As soon I applied for WP's for us , can I apply for PR at the sametime?
5.Other things to consider?

Appreciate your guys comments

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Guys, I also have a questions of Closed work permit apply with my Spouse and 2 kids under AIP.
I received the WP support letter + Endorsement letter from province now it is time to apply for the Work permit for me and my wife and my 2 kids
questions below
1. Should I worry about home ties for my wife? as i have enough home ties back
2.Which visa category for my kids whom age 3 and 5 (I think it is Visit) ?
3.What would be Purpose of Travel under my wife? not sure what to mention since Im applying under AIP
4.As soon I applied for WP's for us , can I apply for PR at the sametime?
5.Other things to consider?

Appreciate your guys comments
Post your question to the PNP section of the forum.