+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

When should I leave Canada?

mpanchal

Nov 5, 2017
Hello users,

Would love to know your answer around this. I have a visitor's visa that expired on the 4th of June 2022. I landed in Canada in 2nd February 2022 and the officer did not put any stamp on my passport around when I should leave. So I am assuming I can stay for six months. but my Visa expires 4 months after my stay. Can I stay in Canada for an additional 2 months and leave by end of July this year?

According to this document below I think I can, but I am wondering if there is anything I should be aware of. I have my super visa and parental sponsorship in processing if that makes any difference.

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=442&top=22

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
You can stay until August.

Canadian visas are valid for use to enter Canada up until the date of expiry.

It does not mean that the holder has to depart on the day of expiry. And you're correct, that if there's no stamp with a shorter date, six months is the time allowed in Canada.

Reactions: mpanchal

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hello users,

Would love to know your answer around this. I have a visitor's visa that expired on the 4th of June 2022. I landed in Canada in 2nd February 2022 and the officer did not put any stamp on my passport around when I should leave. So I am assuming I can stay for six months. but my Visa expires 4 months after my stay. Can I stay in Canada for an additional 2 months and leave by end of July this year?

According to this document below I think I can, but I am wondering if there is anything I should be aware of. I have my super visa and parental sponsorship in processing if that makes any difference.

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=442&top=22
1. You are confusing apples and oranges. The TRV is the visa that allows you to enter Canada, it doesn't effect how long you can stay. If there was no stamp on your passport on entry, you were admitted for 6 months as a visitor, up to around 2nd of August.

Reactions: mpanchal