+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

When she lands....

Jamie Statik

Feb 23, 2011
My fiance and I have gotten a lot of information from this site, especially Leon (Thank you!) But we are wondering, what would need to be said when she lands in order for her to stay for the allowed 6 month visitor period. We are intending on getting married once she is here and I am planning on taking the in land sponsoring route (we do not care how long it takes, so long as we are together), we will have an apartment and bills under both our names, we just are extremely nervous as to what she will be asked and what we should say when she lands.

Thank you in advance, and Im sure we will have a few more questions.

also curious if myself being on disability is an issue?

Again Thank you!

Patricksgirls

Star Member
Oct 31, 2010
Disability should not be an issue. I would not ask for a waiver unless they offer it personally and not say that she wants to stay for six months either. That tends to be a hassle. Just have her reply simply to their questions. Say she is visiting her boyfriend etc. Don't give them more than you need to.
Also make sure she has proof of ties back home just in case.

Jamie Statik

Feb 23, 2011
Thank you for such a fast reply. what will she need to land here? Does she need money? and what do you mean by ties?

Patricksgirls

Star Member
Oct 31, 2010
I will however caution you to walk a fine line on disability. When you are a spouse and applying for PR you qualify for family benefits. The drawback is you would have to pay any added benefit back for the first three years of PR. However I have a friend who tried to pay back what they owed and the government refused the payment. Either way if you do report the marriage it will not affect your disability.
Also she needs either proof of funds during her stay there or a letter from you saying you will support her during her "visit".
I would also say if she is flying make sure she has a return ticket even if you are not going to use it. Keep it under three weeks time and it usually does not draw too many flags.