+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

When landing in Canada do I need to claim our items eventhough...

Lemondrop78

Nov 28, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Apr 6th, 2012
Med's Done....
Feb 10th, 2012 granted extension til Feb 6th, 2014 (I didn't even know!)
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
COPR issued April 23rd, 2013
LANDED..........
Planning end of May or early June
we are not planning to officially move til a later date? We are planning to drive to BC next month so that my husband can "land" but we are going to come back to the US and officially move in Aug. Do we need to claim the car we are using to "land" next month as well as other items? or do I just tell them we are "landing" but not moving til later? That is not the same car we are going to use when we officially move. Thank you for any ideas on this.

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As you are returning after "Landing" you can talk to the CBSA at the border, about your personal car which you intend to bring to Canada later during final move. Keep the details of car: make, model, chassis number etc, so that the CBSA can give you the form duly marked and stamped. However, you have other formalities to complete for importing your personal car from USA to Canada.

please check the links for details:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/safevehicles-importation-usa-index-445.htm

http://www.settlement.org/sys/faqs_detail.asp?faq_id=4000503

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
Lemondrop78 said:
we are not planning to officially move til a later date? We are planning to drive to BC next month so that my husband can "land" but we are going to come back to the US and officially move in Aug. Do we need to claim the car we are using to "land" next month as well as other items? or do I just tell them we are "landing" but not moving til later? That is not the same car we are going to use when we officially move. Thank you for any ideas on this.
for the car, Wilson already answered, but for the rest of the items, you do need to declare them when you land. Fill out a B4 with "goods to follow" with the full list of what you will bring with you later. You have to get it stamped at the border when your husband lands to be able to import it later on without paying taxes.
Sweden

muffy1

Feb 21, 2012
I just landed last weekend and was advised by the officer to place my car on the B4a form (even though I was not initially planning on importing it at all). Anyway, I was informed that if I do decide to import it, I have to keep the vehicle for one full year in order to not pay tax on the vehicle. Just FYI.

Lemondrop78

Nov 28, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Apr 6th, 2012
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Thanks for the information everyone. Did anyone have a difficult time at the border? I heard the car can't be older than 2006, is this true, if anyone knows?

Lemondrop78

Nov 28, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Apr 6th, 2012
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Thanks Muffy. One more question...did you have to show your vaccination record at the border? I read somewhere that you should have your vaccination records on hand also in case they ask you for them. Did you get asked to show them? if it's not too much trouble, can you tell me what important documents they asked to see? I know they want to see the list of goods and the goods to follow. What else? Thanks you!

muffy1

Feb 21, 2012
Hi Lemondrop- I did not need a record of vaccinations. I am a US Citizen/visa-exempt....I'm not sure if it's different for others??? For me, I was in Canada on a visitor's record so we just "flagpoled" and arrived at the POE with my COPR and passport, along with my B4/B4a forms. It was very easy, took about 20 minutes as they go through the documents. You sign the COPR and B4 forms and they say "Welcome to Canada". I was not planning on importing my vehicle but the IO advised that I should put it on my B4a form anyway in case I change my mind. You don't have to bring everything listed on your B4a forms BUT, naturally, you can't add anything on to it afterwards. I wasn't asked for any proof of ownership of the vehicle or anything......just asked to write down year/make/model. That was it. I'm sure that's because at the time you actually do import it, there's all sorts of paperwork necessary. But, for landing, that was all.

I will share something that I thought was "funny". I was asking other questions of the IO while she was processing everything. I had a question about the Super Visa and when I mentioned "Super Visa" the IO responded saying that there was "NO SUCH THING". I was shocked, as in my readings/this forum/etc I knew such a thing had existed. So I mentioned to her that it did exist at one point but was assured "no such thing existed". I chuckled to myself thinking this IO could not have even heard of this? Perhaps they wouldn't deal with this so she probably did not have the need to know anything about it and perhaps the joke was on me :)

Ok, other than that....I requested to take pictures outside of the Immigration Office because I'm a picture freak :) So, she said I could take pictures as long as I did not get any of the IO in them. Hubby bought me all kinds of "Canadian" buttons, flags, a head band with two flags sticking from them...all sorts of garb. I proudly and "goofily" put them on and took a couple pics. Thankful, the process was done! :) Or so I thought.....signing up for OHIP was another story :)

Please let me know if you have any questions. I just landed 10 days ago so if there is anything I can help you with don't be afraid to ask :)

ALL THE BEST TO YOU :)

Lemondrop78

Nov 28, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Apr 6th, 2012
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Muffy, thanks so much for your help and telling me your experience. I'm so mad cause I wrote you a whole big paragraph and then Internet Explorer decided to shut down. Anyway, so I'm sponsoring my husband to Canada...he's a US citizen. That's great that it worked out for you so quickly at the border...I hope that is what it's going to be like for us as well. So I was wondering, for the goods on the B4 forms...do you recommend me to list specific toys of my kids...for example, Fisherprice piano? or should I just group that all in toys and not write specifics of them. That's good you didn't get asked for the vaccination records...I hope they don't ask us either. We only have our kids and not ours.

I don't think I heard of the Super Visa either, lol. Or maybe I have...well I've been on this site so long maybe I've just gotten accustomed to seeing it without really noticing it, lol.

So the OHIP...I heard you have to be in Canada 90 days before you can apply...do you know if that's the same for kids? Have you gotten your SIN card yet? I heard that you can apply for that as soon as you land and you can get your number right away? Please let me know of your experience w/the SIN card cause my husband wants to apply for a job as soon as possible. I'm glad everything worked out for you! Must've felt like a big accomplishment when you got the COPR all stamped and finalized for you to be a PR.

Don't feel like you have to answer every question...just whatever you remember...but I do want to know if you got your SIN card or number yet...thanks!!

muffy1

Feb 21, 2012
Hey Lemondrop! This is quite an exciting time for you! Just when you think you're done with the paperwork....there's more it lol ;)

For the SIN. We went to Service Ontario and applied and got our SIN number immediately on a print out reading "temporary number". However when the card arrives it will be the same number...just your official SIN card. I just got mine today and we applied June 4th, so it only took us 10 days. We were told by the clerk it would be about 7-10 days. Your husband can work as soon as he has that temporary print out of the SIN number.

OHIP- You can apply right away. The 3 month wait starts from the landing date on the COPR. We went to apply on Wednesday. I called the main # in Toronto and this is what I was told word for word. Technically, you have to wait 3 months before your OHIP is in effect. HOWEVER, it is up to the clerk at the counter whether or not they make it valid immediately. Now, I was told this because I have been here in Canada since 2009 on visitor's records. The last 3 yrs CONTINUOUSLY. TO Supervisor stated that I have been here long enough that there should be no reason why it would not be available immediately. However, the clerk at the counter said she could not do anything about that. That's ok, though. Not sure if your hubby is with you on a VR but thought I'd let you know. Are you familiar with what documents he needs to bring to apply for OHIP?

B4- The way that Canadianwoman explained it to me (and the way I did it) was to put "Box of kitchen appliances.......$ x " So, I grouped everything together in a box. Now this was for the B4a forms. I did not have anything listed on my B4 form. And I guessed approximate values. The VO glanced over the form and that was that. I was very general and vague. This is just my experience. I crossed at the Bluewater Bridge. Not sure where you are crossing. I'm sure it can depend upon the VO themselves, but I haven't read about anyone else "being given a hard time" about their B4 forms.

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions! So many have helped me through this forum if I can give back I'm always more than happy to!! What date are you landing? Do you mind me asking what POE you'll be landing at? ALL THE BEST TO YOU!!

Lemondrop78

Nov 28, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Apr 6th, 2012
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Muffy, once again thank you!! You answered a lot of my questions, if not all, lol. This site also helped me so much in completing my forms and addressing my concerns. I'm glad it worked out for you and thanks for helping us still in the process!

So both my husband and I are in the US still. We are going to make a long drive from the West Coast all the way to Toronto! It's going to take us 39 hrs and with our 3 kids...probrably going to take us about 6 or 7 days to get there!! My husband said we are entering through Port Huron at Ontario. Thanks for the advice about the grouping of items. I guess we'll group most of the items except the more expensive one or bigger items. Did you type it or just write it?

That's great to hear the SIN number process was so easy! I hope it goes the same way for my husband. I haven't even looked at the B4 form or B4a...I need to do that soon. Originally we were planning to drive to Vancouver, BC and "land" first around June...before our big move in mid Aug. But I found out that I need to have all the goods to follow on the forms or else we'll be taxed or pay fees for things that weren't on the list. One big thing we wanted to buy before we move is a minivan. We want to sell both of our vehicles and then buy a minivan to drive across to Toronto. So without knowing what van we're going to have, we can't put it on the form...so we need to wait to get it before we can go. We are in the process of fixing up my husband's vehicle and then after we sell it, we are going to buy the minivan...If it's still mid July, we may still "land" in BC first so that we can go apply for his SIN card there after and get that print out w/the number. That way my husband can get a head start in looking for a job while we're here in the US before we move to Toronto...does that make sense? lol. So that is our plan right now. But if we don't end up "landing" in July...then we will just wait til we're doing the big move to "land" in Ontario in mid Aug.

I guess we'll try applying for the OHIP soon after we arrive and see what happens. I'm sure I can find what items to bring to get it on their site, thanks!

muffy1

Feb 21, 2012
Hey Lemondrop!

We landed at the Bluewater Bridge (Port Huron), too! If you have any questions, just let me know. We landed on a Sunday and not much traffic at all. Didn't have to wait in line at the IO, either. Nice and smooth.

I typed out the forms. But, while at the IO, I had to add an item in and hand wrote it in....it was not a big deal, at all. The only thing I was told as far as importing the vehicle was that if I decided to import it I would have to keep it for one year at least in order to avoid paying taxes, etc. Include anything and everything you plan on bringing with you as, and you've already mentioned it, if it's not on the list you will get taxed for it.

As far as OHIP, I had to personally bring several documents as all my legal "stuff" is still in my maiden name and not my married name so I needed so much proof. Generally though, you bring your COPR, passport and a utility or bank statement with your Canadian address on it. I'm sure a lease statement/mortgage will suffice, as well. Go to this link and follow the "prompts" and it will give you all the info you need :)

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/publications/ohip/card.aspx

Hope that helps!! :) Let me know if you have other questions!

Lemondrop78

Nov 28, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Apr 6th, 2012
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Thanks again Muffy! At this point we may not land early and just land when we move to TO in mid Aug. We finally just sold our 2 vehicles and purchased a minivan for the trip. We won't receive the title for about 21 days. That puts us very close to August, so we might as well save the money of driving to Vancouver, BC and staying in hotel, etc. Did you have to show the car's proof that any recalls on it, you had fixed on it. Just curious...thankfully our minivan isn't part of the recalls, but we're going to get a print out from Dodge to show our car is clear. That's good to know that on sunday wasn't too long of a line for you. Is the place that takes car of the importing of vehicles opened at all hours or do I have to be in there between specific times? I'll check out the link you provided, thanks! I'm going to have to open a bank account soon after I arrive in TO so I can register my kids in school to show proof of address. So I'll use that for applying for the health card...and you didn't wait 90 days to do that right? you did it soon after you landed? Before I import the vehicle, I know there are some forms to fill out for that...is it a process or is it something I can fill out, pay online and print out right away the receipt to show it's all done, or is it a bit of a few days or weeks process before it is all ready to go for landing? thanks...I guess that is my major question.

lawgrrl

Star Member
Jul 8, 2012
Nanaimo, B.C.
Visa Office......
CPP-O
App. Filed.......
10-10-2012
AOR Received.
11-14-2012
VISA ISSUED...
02-03-2013
LANDED..........
05-22-2013
Lemondrop78 said:
Thanks again Muffy! At this point we may not land early and just land when we move to TO in mid Aug. We finally just sold our 2 vehicles and purchased a minivan for the trip. We won't receive the title for about 21 days. That puts us very close to August, so we might as well save the money of driving to Vancouver, BC and staying in hotel, etc. Did you have to show the car's proof that any recalls on it, you had fixed on it. Just curious...thankfully our minivan isn't part of the recalls, but we're going to get a print out from Dodge to show our car is clear. That's good to know that on sunday wasn't too long of a line for you. Is the place that takes car of the importing of vehicles opened at all hours or do I have to be in there between specific times? I'll check out the link you provided, thanks! I'm going to have to open a bank account soon after I arrive in TO so I can register my kids in school to show proof of address. So I'll use that for applying for the health card...and you didn't wait 90 days to do that right? you did it soon after you landed? Before I import the vehicle, I know there are some forms to fill out for that...is it a process or is it something I can fill out, pay online and print out right away the receipt to show it's all done, or is it a bit of a few days or weeks process before it is all ready to go for landing? thanks...I guess that is my major question.
Hey, Lemondrop78-- we recently landed (5/22/13) and I think I can answer some questions. You can search the "US Outland" thread for several posts regarding how to export your car from the US and then import it, and BOTH have to be done! US Customs has specific hours to process your van out of the States and you'll have to check their website for the hours of the location nearest to your crossing. You must fax them all your paperwork 72 hours before you arrive. THEN you show all the US-processed paperwork to CSBA. Check the riv.ca website for all their requirements. Some border crossings can process immigration & customs at all hours, but not all. Check CSBA for the hours & services before you go, and allow lots of time. The whole deal is definitely a "process;" feel free to PM me for further details & I'll dig out our paperwork.
And congrats & welcome! :)