+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

When is the starting point for counting the first 5yrs?

symmetry

Jan 25, 2010
I landed in Dec. 2011. If this is the starting point for counting the first 5yrs, then I have to being physically present in Canada for a minimum of 730 days before Dec. 2016 in order to keep my PR status. But my PR card's expiration date is in Feb. 2017, do I have to meet 730-days requirement before Dec. 2016 or Feb. 2017?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

symmetry said:
I landed in Dec. 2011. If this is the starting point for counting the first 5yrs, then I have to being physically present in Canada for a minimum of 730 days before Dec. 2016 in order to keep my PR status. But my PR card's expiration date is in Feb. 2017, do I have to meet 730-days requirement before Dec. 2016 or Feb. 2017?
The day you "landed" Dec/11. You have to meet it before Dec/16.

symmetry

Jan 25, 2010
PMM said:
Hi

The day you "landed" Dec/11. You have to meet it before Dec/16.

Thank you.

I got my PR through AINP H1B program. I haven't been able to get any job offer in Alberta so far, but it is possible I can get a job offer in Toronto in the near future. If I take the offer and move to Toronto, will the days I live and work in Toronto be counted in 730 days requirement?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

symmetry said:
Thank you.

I got my PR through AINP H1B program. I haven't been able to get any job offer in Alberta so far, but it is possible I can get a job offer in Toronto in the near future. If I take the offer and move to Toronto, will the days I live and work in Toronto be counted in 730 days requirement?
Yes.

bkd1969

May 1, 2011
symmetry said:
Thank you.

you are obligated to live in Alberta per your initial contract signed when you applied for AINP USH1B Forms back to 2009/2010. so, AINP reserves the right to minitor and implement that contract whenever they want to. think twice.

symmetry

Jan 25, 2010
bkd1969 said:
you are obligated to live in Alberta per your initial contract signed when you applied for AINP USH1B Forms back to 2009/2010. so, AINP reserves the right to minitor and implement that contract whenever they want to. think twice.
Thanks for your caution. Can you remind me which document is the initial contract you mentioned? Do they mention in that document what they will do if nominee moves to other province?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
symmetry said:
Thanks for your caution. Can you remind me which document is the initial contract you mentioned? Do they mention in that document what they will do if nominee moves to other province?
As far as I know, all the provincial nominee programs have some form where you state that you intend to settle in that province and you sign that.

A couple of years ago, immigration started going after people who get their PR through PNP's and do not land in their PNP province. They decided that if such persons are unable to prove that they are going to their PNP province, say having a transit ticket taking them there or giving the immigration officer some other good explanation why they aren't landing there, they can withhold their PR card until they show up at their PNP office for an interview. If the persons admit that they are not going to settle in their PNP province, they may decide not to give them their PR at all.

However, as far as I know, the PNP's are at least not yet going after people who have already landed in their PNP province and gotten their PR and then leave. I would still recommend going to your PNP province and trying to find work there. Give it 6 months and if you still can't find anything, you can go. That way, if they ever do decide to start going after people who landed in their PNP province but didn't stay there, you can at least say that you did intend to settle there and you tried but couldn't find a job. There is no official minimum time you have to stay but you must intend to settle at least when you land.

symmetry

Jan 25, 2010
Thank you for your detailed explain. So, I don't have to stay in the PNP province for at least 730 days in the first 5 years in order to keep my PR, if I stay in the PNP province for some time and then leave, the days I live in other province still can be count in that 730 days requirement, right?

Leon said:
As far as I know, all the provincial nominee programs have some form where you state that you intend to settle in that province and you sign that.

A couple of years ago, immigration started going after people who get their PR through PNP's and do not land in their PNP province. They decided that if such persons are unable to prove that they are going to their PNP province, say having a transit ticket taking them there or giving the immigration officer some other good explanation why they aren't landing there, they can withhold their PR card until they show up at their PNP office for an interview. If the persons admit that they are not going to settle in their PNP province, they may decide not to give them their PR at all.

However, as far as I know, the PNP's are at least not yet going after people who have already landed in their PNP province and gotten their PR and then leave. I would still recommend going to your PNP province and trying to find work there. Give it 6 months and if you still can't find anything, you can go. That way, if they ever do decide to start going after people who landed in their PNP province but didn't stay there, you can at least say that you did intend to settle there and you tried but couldn't find a job. There is no official minimum time you have to stay but you must intend to settle at least when you land.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Right, the 730 days for the residency obligation to keep your PR can be spent anywhere in Canada. If you get into trouble with your PNP for leaving, that is a completely different issue. The PNP's do not give any minimum time you must stay in the province. They just say you intend to settle there.