+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

When does the 5 year clock start ticking

David_Djalo

Aug 23, 2020
Dear all
When does the 5 year PR clock start ticking

Is it from the point you land in Canada to trigger the PR as part of the initial landing formalities as I understand PR is not enacted till this takes place or is it from the point of PR card issuance ie from the moment you receive the card you need to spend 2 years out of 5 in Canada.

I am not based in Canada so just factoring in time that could eat into the 5 years whilst potentially getting all my affairs in order eg schooling / house sale etc IF I get PR.
Thanks all

David.

canvisa13

Nov 21, 2019
Thanks how long do you have in order to land in Canada to activate the PR status after being issued with PR cards. Is there a finite period ?
Yes, the end date to land is always printed on the one-time visa in your passport and also is mentioned in the COPR.

You have to complete landing formalities before that date and from that date on, your 5 year period starts.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks how long do you have in order to land in Canada to activate the PR status after being issued with PR cards. Is there a finite period ?
You're mixing things up. PR cards aren't issued until AFTER you have landed in Canada and activated your PR status.

David_Djalo

Aug 23, 2020
You're mixing things up. PR cards aren't issued until AFTER you have landed in Canada and activated your PR status.
Ah got it.
I was led to believe that if you receive PR then “cards” need to be sent to a Canada address ( they may be internationally but won’t be posted internationally.

So PR is a stamp in the passport ?

David_Djalo

Aug 23, 2020
Yes, the end date to land is always printed on the one-time visa in your passport and also is mentioned in the COPR.

You have to complete landing formalities before that date and from that date on, your 5 year period starts.
Ok thanks a lot

IndianBos

Oct 8, 2014
Toronto, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
19-Jun-2014
Nomination.....
16-Oct-2014
File Transfer...
11-Dec-2014
Med's Request
24-Apr-2015 (Delayed for adding a child)
Med's Done....
9-May-2015 (Updated 29-May-2015)
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
17-Jun-2015 (mailed 29-June-2015)
VISA ISSUED...
11-Jul-2015
LANDED..........
7-Sep-2015
Dear all

Is it from the point you land in Canada to trigger the PR as part of the initial landing formalities as I understand PR is not enacted till this takes place or is it from the point of PR card issuance ie from the moment you receive the card you need to spend 2 years out of 5 in Canada.

I am not based in Canada so just factoring in time that could eat into the 5 years whilst potentially getting all my affairs in order eg schooling / house sale etc IF I get PR.
Thanks all

David.
Clock starts from the day you land as a part of initial landing. It is the date mentioned at the back of your PR Card.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks so PR cards are issued pre landing after all ?
No - again, PR cards are issued after landing. Clock on the five years starts when you land.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Dear all

Thanks all

David.
Others have answered the particular questions asked.

However, it appears some further clarification may be useful.

For clarification, the longer explanation:

The PR card is a status card which will only be issued to a person who has PR status.

A PR card can be issued to any person with PR status at any time AFTER that individual became a PR. That can be soon after the formality of becoming a PR is completed (often referred to as the date of "landing"). Or that could be the next year or years later.

Thus, the date a PR card is issued has NOTHING to do with the date of landing, except it can only be some date AFTER the date of landing, after the date the individual actually obtains the status of PR.

The date of landing is typically shown on the PR card. But that is NOT the date it was issued. That is NOT the date the PR card expires.

The date the PR card was issued is NOT relevant when calculating a PR's compliance with the Residency Obligation.

The date the PR card will expire is NOT relevant when calculating a PR's compliance with the Residency Obligation.

A Permanent Resident has an ongoing obligation to comply with the PR Residency Obligation. The RO requires the PR to be IN Canada at least 730 days within the relevant five year time period; the relevant five year time period is --
-- the FIRST five years the person is a PR, up to the fifth anniversary of the date that individual LANDED and became a PR, or​
-- the preceding five years (for any PR after the fifth year anniversary of the date that individual landed)​

So, to be clear, the RO is applicable as of the DAY the PR lands and becomes a Permanent Resident. Of course, as of that day there are more than enough days left in the first five years to meet the RO, so the PR is in compliance with the RO. This remains true for the next THREE years, that is up to three years, because up to the THIRD year anniversary of landing, there are still at least 730 days left in the relevant five years, enough time left in the first five years, for the PR to meet the RO.

After the third year anniversary of landing, up to the fifth year anniversary of landing, calculating compliance with the RO involves counting the number of days IN Canada so far PLUS the number of days left on the calendar until the fifth year anniversary of landing. As long as that total, the total number of days IN Canada PLUS the number of days left in the first five years, adds up to 730, the PR is in compliance with the RO.

To my view it is easier to count days outside Canada. As long as the new PR has not been outside Canada more than 1096 days (factoring in leap years) during the first five years, the total number of days IN Canada plus days left will be at least 730.

In particular, if at any time after landing, and before the fifth year anniversary of that day, the PR has been outside Canada for more than 1096 days, the PR has breached the PR RO.

Note Regarding Date of Landing:

Sometimes it appears there is a bit of confusion about the process of becoming a PR. The issuance of a PR visa, or the CoPR (Confirmation of Permanent Resident document), does NOT mean the individual is a PR. The person issued the PR visa or CoPR must still complete the process of landing. The person issued the PR visa or CoPR does not become a PR until the formality of landing is completed.

Thus, for example, the CoPR is not formally completed until the process of landing. The PR is then given a copy (actually the landing officer takes all the copies but one, and returns one copy of the CoPR to the newly landed PR).

The landing formality usually, almost always (except for inland PR applications), takes place when the person granted the PR visa arrives at a PoE in Canada. Persons issued a PR visa ordinarily have a limited time within which they must come to Canada and complete the formality of landing (there may some variations in this currently due to Covid-19).

The new PR does not need to fully settle in Canada at that time. Many do what is called a "soft landing," which means they come to Canada, do the landing formalities at the PoE upon arrival, and soon leave Canada (can be that day even), planning to return to Canada in the near future . . . some taking up to two or almost three years to settle affairs before making the move to Canada to stay.

"Soft landing" is not a technical term. Technically there is simply a landing. And the date of the landing is the date the individual becomes a Permanent Resident, and that is the date which establishes the first five year time period in which the new PR must spend at least 730 days in Canada.

Reactions: qsrahman

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Thanks so PR cards are issued pre landing after all ?
The front of the PR card has the expiry date. The back of the card has a date indiciated when you have became a PR (landing date).
OR is calculated based on landing date and rolling 5 years whenever you enter Canada.