+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

"When do you plan to return to Canada to Resume Residence?"

goldfinger

Nov 18, 2019
How can I answer this question? Honestly, I want to move back to Canada before the year is through, and I understand that my wife and I may spend some time apart, but my move date is somewhat fluid depending on how everything looks. If my application doesn't get touched for two months, that may influence my decision somewhat, as I would like to know that my application has been at least scanned and marked as "complete" before I move anywhere, because otherwise that would change the answers on my application.

What should I say to this? "My plan is to move as soon as reasonably possible, but no later than after my wife receives her approval." Does that work?

Edit - I'd feel a lot more confident if this process wasn't mired in pandemic-related issues at this point. It sounds like immigration has ground to a halt. My plan was to move after I was approved as a sponsor, but who knows how long that will take anymore. I'm afraid of making a liar out of myself, but under no circumstance would I delay beyond my wife being approved to reside in Canada permanently.

Let me know. Thanks!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
You can say exactly as you thought above. The bigger issue is demonstrating the intent, not the date.
Echo this completely - try to demonstrate intent. That's a hard thing to show, but what you can show is concrete steps you have taken to settle in your intended location. Job searches, living conditions, plans to do things (study for example), arrangements for children, cutting ties (if the case) with current residence, etc.

Since this only applies to canadian citizens living abroad, your plans to return before spouse (if the case) can be helpful.

It is of course harder to show the concrete steps when the process can take a year and some things (like looking for a place to live) don't make sense to do ages in advance. But you can show, for example, that you understand how much an apartment costs in whatever city, even if you haven't put a deposit down.

goldfinger

Nov 18, 2019
Echo this completely - try to demonstrate intent. That's a hard thing to show, but what you can show is concrete steps you have taken to settle in your intended location. Job searches, living conditions, plans to do things (study for example), arrangements for children, cutting ties (if the case) with current residence, etc.

Since this only applies to canadian citizens living abroad, your plans to return before spouse (if the case) can be helpful.

It is of course harder to show the concrete steps when the process can take a year and some things (like looking for a place to live) don't make sense to do ages in advance. But you can show, for example, that you understand how much an apartment costs in whatever city, even if you haven't put a deposit down.
My parents own a business there, and I'm going to have an offer letter along with a job description to submit with my package. I've received a receipt for removing the tint from the front two windows on my car (to make it legal in my province) and I have letters from my parents stating that they are aware of my plans to move home, and will be housing me while I establish myself.

It really is tough to establish, but I felt that those measures were at least half-decent at the exact moment.

Thoughts?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
My parents own a business there, and I'm going to have an offer letter along with a job description to submit with my package. I've received a receipt for removing the tint from the front two windows on my car (to make it legal in my province) and I have letters from my parents stating that they are aware of my plans to move home, and will be housing me while I establish myself.

It really is tough to establish, but I felt that those measures were at least half-decent at the exact moment.

Thoughts?
I'd agree - half-decent!

They also look for you severing your ties in your current country of residence. Even if it's just signed letters from employers saying "We understand that @goldfinger will sadly be leaving us," you need to demonstrate plans to return and part of those plans are severing ties. Do you have a home you own? Job? Other obligations? Etc.

goldfinger

Nov 18, 2019
I'd agree - half-decent!

They also look for you severing your ties in your current country of residence. Even if it's just signed letters from employers saying "We understand that @goldfinger will sadly be leaving us," you need to demonstrate plans to return and part of those plans are severing ties. Do you have a home you own? Job? Other obligations? Etc.
I have permanent residence that I plan to forfeit, which is a matter of filling out a form and filing a final tax return. I've spoken with my accountant about filing a final tax return, but I can't really get a letter from her. She will only vouch for what has been done, not what is to be done.

I've spoken with my employer regarding my decision, but haven't really laid out a definite timeline. I feel nervous asking my employer for that stuff.

We own our own home, which my wife will be occupying until we move back.

I have to begin inventorying our belongings so that I can import them, but that's something I'd like to do after I get my application sent off.

Other than that, we don't have many obligations. Going from the USA to Canada isn't *that* rocky compared to other countries, I'm sure. I also have a plan/letter outlining all of these to-dos.