+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

When do I and my partner apply for school?

Picklewizard

Oct 3, 2018
Hi,

I'm a canadian & american citizen living in the US with my american partner. We have been together for 3 years and cohabiting for almost a year and a half.

We are preparing our application now for sponsorship and I am wondering when the best time for applying to school is. I really want to apply for UBC okanagan campus.

Thanks!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The timeline is pretty tight to get sponsorship and apply for university next fall. You'll need to look up the application info on the UBC website but think applications are sent in December but you have to send in your marks at the end of the school year.

Picklewizard

Oct 3, 2018
The timeline is pretty tight to get sponsorship and apply for university next fall. You'll need to look up the application info on the UBC website but think applications are sent in December but you have to send in your marks at the end of the school year.
I appreciate your response. Since we work full time and are in no rush to go to school would it make sense to apply for the 2020 school year? Would we need to wait to apply for sponsorship?

zt2018

Apr 6, 2018
If your partner plans to study in Canada, you may want to wait till your partner gets PR status as enrollment process, deadlines and tuition costs are different for domestic and international students. If only you plan to study, you can just follow the instructions on UBC's web-site for domestic students, but keep in mind that if you are applying for 2019 fall semester, you partner's PR application may be still in process and you'll either need to move to Canada without your partner or discuss with UBC if it is possible to postpone your stat date. To me it sounds that it makes sense to wait till your partner gets PR visa.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
In order to apply while you both live in the US you will have to how prove that you intend to move as soon as you get PR. You must be PRs or citizens to qualify for scholarships but, unlike the US, there are not a ton of sponsorships. Expect that you will either have to pay your tuition or pay with loans.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi,

I'm a canadian & american citizen living in the US with my american partner. We have been together for 3 years and cohabiting for almost a year and a half.

We are preparing our application now for sponsorship and I am wondering when the best time for applying to school is. I really want to apply for UBC okanagan campus.

Thanks!
Apply whenever you want. If you get your sponsorship app in soon, your partner should be a PR before the fall semester starts. You may want to contact the university to see what they say about being accepted as an international student and then changing to domestic.